Endgame

Terrans Underway

Figured I might as well share since I broke my Terrans out of storage.  The sentinels were my test subjects to determine what final color scheme I wanted to follow.  I decided to go with the Green and Brown pairing and then (sloppily) painted up the first wave of models.  Lots of work still to be done on these guys, but I'll probably paint up everything to this level before I actually try to make things look nice.  

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0502.JPG

The monotone Sentinel was actually done with tape, and it was rather annoying dealing with the turrets when trying to tape. Everything else you see was done freehand but the only model where I tried to clean up the lines by hand was the Razorthorne.  I think I will end up eventually taping off the Zenith because it has the longest straight lines in the batch.  

Next batch of models to get primed will be:

Apollo
4x Hermes
2x Templars
6x PIlgrims

I also thought I would share the flight peg system I'm using (Sorry for less than ideal pics, I should clean up my modeling area).  The large ships get brass tube and magnetic pegs.  The brass rod means no bendy flight pegs, regardless of how heavy the model is, and the magnetic flight pegs makes it all detachable and so that the ship doesn't rotate on the base.

On the smaller ships such as frigates, I'm doing double magenetic adapters, so I can actually remove the flight peg entirely and just toss the bases in one bag, the pegs in the other, and pack it all up without worrying about breaking anything.  When its time to play, since it is all magenetic it just snaps together in seconds.

IMG_0508.JPG

They are Ninja Magic magnetic adapters.  I bought a huge number of them at Gen Con at least 10 years ago for my BFG fleets, and used the left overs on my FSA stuff.   Its not ideal for FSA because it can be difficult to get the notched adapters to exactly point a specific direction, which wasn't an issue with the BFG round bases.  On the brass tube bases, I've overcome this by not gluing the tube to the base, thus allowing it to rotate independently and allowing me to get the exact angle I want.  The tube is a very tight fit over the plastic rod, so friction keeps it from rotating on its own.   On the 2 part bases, I'm using those for frigates so that isn't quite so obvious if they aren't 100% straight

I plan on buying more bases at Gen Con this year, assuming the vendor is there again.   I only have 17 bases built, so I'd like to build up another 8 and get myself to 25 - I can't imagine needing more than 25 bases for a FSA game. 

I need to come up with a different plan for the 2 peg stands, as it would be nearly impossible to line up double magnetic stands for that.  For now, I'm just going to let those balance on the pegs.  

NinjaMagic is a one-man “hobby” company and Todd, the guy running it, has been in and out of jobs for a year or two by now, seeing him move house all over the US on a regular basis.

So NinjaMagic is shut down at the moment, and the last news is that he's hoping to maybe get things moving again by the end of this year.

But as nice as the NinjaMagic connectors are, they are overkill for FA, the mentioned Hawk Widgets are a much simpler and cheaper solution.

2 hours ago, Frans said:

NinjaMagic is a one-man “hobby” company and Todd, the guy running it, has been in and out of jobs for a year or two by now, seeing him move house all over the US on a regular basis.

So NinjaMagic is shut down at the moment, and the last news is that he's hoping to maybe get things moving again by the end of this year.

But as nice as the NinjaMagic connectors are, they are overkill for FA, the mentioned Hawk Widgets are a much simpler and cheaper solution.

Too bad that he is having rough times.  I got tons of use out of those adapters between BFG, B5 fleet action, and firestorm.  I would switch over to the hawk adapters for everything, but I already have the pegs in two patrol fleets, and a half dozen other ships.  Removing them isn't really possible (I've tried).  I may have to use some of each of I can't get more ninja magic adapters.

9 hours ago, Chief Mutt said:

Sorry, Endgame that is a sweet looking fleet.  Straight lines are highly overrated ;)

LOL, thanks!  I'll totally straighten out the lines and even them up as it would bug me to no end to leave them as it is.  I also need to do some highlighting to make the models look a little less flat - I'm using 3 low contrast colors in the brown, green, and gray (this is what lets the red and white lines Pop) and highlighting will really help with that.  

I've put a little work here and there in on the razorthorn.  Haven't had much time to really do much with it, but while turning on (i.e. painting) the guns and the engines, I just realized that one of the guns on is miss cast.  Probably a little late to bring it up with spartan :D

Since it seems I can only attach so many MB of pictures to a thread, what is the common solution to adding images?

Finished 1 of the Templars and have the other 2 partially complete.  Given the fact that these 3 ships have now taken more effort than all the rest of the ships in my fleet combined, I think I'm going to be forced to run them in every game. 

large_top.JPG.b35a3defbabc9d0d9bad193e8b

large_side.JPG.6a3e3f2e24943851ffe2c6f61

large_back.JPG.a962c3cdbffd1fa61c3bb7e05

And, the whole squadron, with the 2 still unfinished squad mates.

large.squad.JPG.e409a21b04dbbfe8256efede