Sign in to follow this  
Lord Nobody

DW's Timeline

Well DW's story line has been out a couple of years now and has advanced slowly with a few minor nations joining sides.

Land gains by either side have been little or none. So Is it time for a major shift in the World War?

Truth be told, this game is going to the dogs

The game itself is great, but poor marketing, ideas (or lack thereof) poor decision making have really hurt the game in the past 12 - 18 months

to the point that

Stores are removing as much of their stock as they can

Fleets are being spammed on Ebay for prices sometime 30 or 40 % RRP

The forums are almost dead

Not many people globally are playing

The lore was something that could have had real focus, instead it has stagnated over the past 3 years due to short attention spans

Ive been DW's biggest advocate over the last 2 years, had real excitement for the game..........all of that has almost erroded to the point that I dont really care, If not for the League that gets ran up in the north east I wouldnt have played a single game this year, and wouldnt really be bothered

If that doesnt speak volumes Spartan.........then I guess you dont really deserve Dystopian wars.......

1 hour ago, Presidente said:

No:P but it is defiantly time 4 action:)

Im afraid spartan have left it too late

any action wouldnt bring back alot of gamers who have been burned in the last two years

My group/club (10 members) all have multiple fleets and are playing monthly.  Nothing too late or stagnant here.

That being said, we have no incentive to ever upgrade the rules beyond 2.0/2.1.   We're perfectly happy where we are at.

We also have NUMEROUS other games we play so if we need a new shiny fix, we have them in droves. (looking at you Warlord Games)

We're still playing regularly here. I've revently expanded into my third full fleet ( now own PE, RoF and FSA). 

We're also playing Planetfall here regulary but that game also seems to have stallled which is unfortunately because it is a great game.

Our group has invested in Hawk's Dropfleet for our space fleet game instead if Firestorm Armada so that will take up some gaming time in the future. 

For now. All I think that DW needs is some attention to the minor races and some online support. It is a mature game after all so doesn't need a constant stream of releases.

DW does not need constant support but it needs something.  The bombardment boxes are the last models my club has bought.  All the model spending has gone to "other than Spartan" companies.  Drop zone/fleet, AvP, Kings of War, Warzone Resurrection.  Nothing Spartan for nearly a year.  Honestly I would be happy with anything being released.  A fleet I own, one I don't, campaign/fluff book.  I don't care.

We had three players that got into Halo and true to form, every single game was like watching repeat episodes.  I have a rule about not bothering with games that only have two factions and Halo proved that every time I saw them.

Where is everything Neal boasted about in the best forgotten blog post.

• ORBAT's - Yep that took long enough.
  • Tournament Kits - Done
  • Campaigns - Have some fleet action instead.
  • Massive Robots - Other than admitting some people don't like them did not say they were actually changing anything.
  • New Models and New Rules - crickets chirping
  • Packaging - I admit this could be a huge task.  However we have heard nothing and new products for the other games are being released in the same way as ever so I guess no progress.
  • Alliance Restructuring - So Ottomans first with new packaging and models.  How long do crickets live anyway because I still hear chirping.

" For now. All I think that DW needs is some attention to the minor races and some online support. It is a mature game after all so doesn't need a constant stream of releases. "

I agree! But I was kinda hoping people would discuss how the general war will proceed.

Will more nations jump in? Will one nation be brought low? Will Prussia finally get some of its land back? That sorta thing.

Any ideas?

Dee-Dub is dead. That said, I'm not investing any more money into it - three forces is plenty (four if you count Invaders). They'll never pull off any sort of successful re-launch. I do enjoy the game and will still play with my local group since we own plenty of models. Yup, DW joins the rubbish heap of gaming history.

1 hour ago, Lord Nobody said:

I agree! But I was kinda hoping people would discuss how the general war will proceed.

Will more nations jump in? Will one nation be brought low? Will Prussia finally get some of its land back? That sorta thing.

Any ideas?

This entire rant is based on a assumption I have at the end but...

Since we did entirely derail the thread lets look at the generic timeline options.

1.  We get fluff but it is non-committal about dates and general entireness and does not really move the timeline forward.  Basically the 40K approach.  The pros are we get some fluff and new models with little canon hassle since you can hand wave everything.  Cons are no real advancing.

2.  Beginning with second edition they declare this early war and move on in phases.  Basically the flames of war method.  Pros are we get new fluff, new models, and it is all cohesive.  The con is some models can not be used in all games and such issues.

3.  Spartan proves they have a terminal fetish for stupid big robots and the STO uses their hinted at super carrier to deliver an unstoppable swarm of robots to all corners of the globe.

All right, focusing on the actual story has some real bleak options.  Lets keep going.  They have what, 5-6 factions in the rulebook that have not been mentioned since.  Any of those are free to join in the curb stomping.  How about a nation losing?  They already did that.  Several of us Britannia players were upset when the Belgium armor we used to be able to ally in was removed because "they surrendered".  Dropping a faction or restricting ally factions that used to be possible is one surefire way to piss off your players.

Spartan does not really gain anything from moving the timeline forward.  Very little good can come from it and there are a whole lot of downsides.  The models are what makes money, the rules are an abstraction that give us something to do with the models, and the fluff is truly nothing more than filler.

So what happens when the story does move forward.  If EofBS gets serious and wipes out the EIMC for good should those players get a refund for all their models?  If Prussia gets some land back should it affect fleet building.  If the answer is no then what good did moving the story forward do for us: unless...

So I have to throw this back your way because I am making assumptions without you stating your answer to the most important question.  Do you think the story should affect the rules or structure of the game when/if it moves forward?

/Yay rambling rant where I only insult the retardbots once twice.

I refused the robots when the Windsor turned out to be Babba Yagga's Hut steroid filled bastard child.  A castle on legs?   Really?

<rant off>

Spartan saw the DW decline before we did...hence the diversifying to Halo.  It's still a cool game, but I don't care if they dont' come out with anything new unless it's SUSA...now those might be my 4th fleet...

DW is good because of variation

FA is ok but suffers from big scale problems that the models are too big and clunky

Halo makes money.....thats about the only good thing ill say

i know were the focus is atm

I think you are a bit to negative here. DW has a massive range of products and is a very tactical game ( although a bit complex).

I don't think DW is dying. I think Spartan is focusingfocusing on another product line at the moment because DW is mature. Companies do this all the time.

They do need better online support for DW though on the forums. What happen to the Spartan how took over DW and was posting a lot here a while back?

From the perspective of someone who has just started playing DW (but has been following it for a long time) I'm genuinely excited by the prospect of exploring the game properly. The rules seem really fun and the huge variety of fleets keeps tempting me to branch out into more nations. It feels like a well developed game that doesn't need a great deal new doing with it. Flesh out the alliance nations, or maybe provide some form of expansion in the style of the Firestorm invasion fleets or campaigns.

This is not to say that the concerns of people are not valid, just trying to provide my perspective of it as someone coming to the game fresh. The lack of other players around is definitely a problem though. 

4 hours ago, Nicius said:

I think you are a bit to negative here. DW has a massive range of products and is a very tactical game ( although a bit complex).

I don't think DW is dying. I think Spartan is focusingfocusing on another product line at the moment because DW is mature. Companies do this all the time.

They do need better online support for DW though on the forums. What happen to the Spartan how took over DW and was posting a lot here a while back?

Spartan dont have the employees to support the games they have , let alone new ones

As far as I'm aware, there isnt much of a playtesting group anymore, and what is there doesnt have much contact with anyone at spartan

I believe Derek has overview of DW........ but hes part time, and has other projects to look at.

DW is not Mature. It has a rule book and models......very little of anything else, no campaigns, no scenarios, nothing......... granted we as a community could create our own as James Did, or use Ironclad scenarios

Frankly i think the state that DW has been left in is nothing more than sheer lazyness, and this scattergun approach to gaming systems is hurting the established games. I want Quality, not hoards of part finished games

Maybe with more positive ideas and less negative ideas on Spartan's own forum, we can show Spartan we want and deserve new shinnies and campaigns.

I started this thread to do just that. As for timeline I could see...

1. All neutrals take sides that benefit themselves and or maybe create a third coalition closely tied to the CoA.

2. The Brits move to re-take the Falklands, lay down plans for new air force and pull all equipment and men from the low countries.

3. The FSA continue producing more war machines then all other nations. With the Brits help they complete the Panama canal. Central America drains resources.

4. Russian forces start major campaign to take Turkey. Both Europe and Asian fronts show signs of breaking. Successful raid on the Black Wolf company.

5. Prussian forces make slow and costly advances to take back East Prussia. Greenland's defenses are reduced. Scandinavia's production doubles.

6. French forces control low countries. African territories left to there own. French forces help Prussia.

7. With Chinese help Russian forces are pushed further North. South America territories left undefended. Operation Sleeping Dragon started.

8. CoA has more resources and science discovered. Many Neutrals look to CoA for leadership. More traitor problems.