Eberious

RSN fleet

Hello all, with a some what long (to long) leave of absence from FSA and letting my Terran fleet collect dust I'm back. 

Shameless link to my Terrans (which I still have a few models yet to finish) if anyone wants to check em out, some might remember them. :) 

This time I'm on the other side of the conflict, some shiny new RSN. Picked a few boxes online, payday will see a carrier and some destroyers added to the fight.

09874cd8-258e-4674-a561-759f41544f49_zps

Thinking of a yellow fleet, a bit grimy, beat up looking.

Testing some washes directly on top of a basic bright yellow. Tested with 3 different washes, the two on either side are the same wash but the one on the left has more coats than the other.  

321_zpsmfpppdpy.jpg 

Going for something like this. Very basic test at the moment. 

Hunter_gratzner.jpg

Forgot to say, for the guns, engines and bare metal parts will be a mix of bare metal and copper colours.

Thanks WestAustralian,

They certainly are awesome models, wanted them way back when they came out. But glad I got around to getting them now. They appear to have been improved from the first version. 

There will be a dry bushing to a extent, will probably get the air brush on them for the base coat yellow, wash, dry brush and detail by hand.

Yeh the RSN are updated. I have a mix of old and new. Have not painted mine. 

Airbrush is awesome. I lent mine out years ago. I use spray basecoats 

sounds like you have a good plan for your RSN. I look forward to seeing pictures of your models 

Some progress made, pics later. But I'm not overly happy. While the yellow works for the small ships getting it to work the way I want it on the bigger ones just isnt working. Much, much to my dismay, been pulling my hair out trying few differnet paints, shades etc to the pont one of the cruisers has started to look like that tester model in everyones collection.

What is the safest paint remover to strip paint without damaging thses models. May try again, but might go with the box standard blue/white which was one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place. :( 

(edit)

Seen simple green mentioned on another thread, not sure if its the same stuff in the UK as the US as appears to be different to the OZ version???

Oooooh I know this one.....

Simple Green in OZ is no good for mini cleaning. Not sure about the UK

I Used Detol to strip some Minis. I left some relthoza soak for 3 Days an brushed off in fresh detol. That got off typical water based mini paint and almost all the undercoat.

to get thick Oil based Paint and Automotive Primer off some other Relthoza I soaked for a week in Detol, scrubbed Hard, soaked in Fresh Detol for a second week, scrubbed hard in fresh detol. Came up almost completely clean. 

In both cases I used a craft knife to gently pick paint from a few trouble spots. 

Did not harm the Resin at all

i used a bathroom scrubbing brush and old toothbrushes for the scrubbing

Thanks WA, 

Pics of what was, but won't be. frigates finished more or less, cruisers part way there so was still a WIP.

011_zpsvzv9kejc.jpg

013_zpsrquxpjsy.jpg

first attempt is closer, 

014_zpsikzhqr0l.jpg

50d74735-05aa-40b7-a861-7296762f2c8e_zps

Pics make them look way better than they were, which is annoying. :(  as they really looked grubby or far to bight for what I wanted. Gutted really. I remember now why I don't paint yellow.

I think it either looks to 40k tau or imperial fists(which is fine, but dont overly want a semi 40k armada feel in FSA) 

Aye, would likely if done. However they have been wiped and are now re-primed white ready for either another scheme or the spartan games box art blue/white look.

Many thanks for the feed back though. I think maybe with the overall theme of this faction the yellow didn't fit and looked odd after a while of looking at them.  

I've seen a lot of great looking yellow models using the citadel shades. I've used it a bit as well.

On top of a white basecoat you could wash with the cassandora yellow and then wash again with seraphim sepia. The trick is to mentally block out the model and hit each block quickly and with as few coats as possible to prevent any unnecessary pooling. It's not the most "pro" way to paint yellow, but it saves a ton of headache.

Here is a great example of this done on a large miniature (not Spartan, but you'll get the idea).

https://abrushwithbattles.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/ork-blitza-bomma/

Thanks for the continued advice.

Urgh, I've tried a blue on a 40k tank now dubbed 'the tester' turned out fine however didn't go very well on the cruiser. Some how, it turned out a purple. Then tried a green, ran five different shades. Went with a camo/olive green. Ruined it. had to strip the paint right off as this point I started losing details....  Tried a lighter blue and just awful on the tester.

Come around full circle and back to yellow :rolleyes:, this time it seems I might have nailed it. Using Averland yellow and a Seraphim wash, just a careful quick over with the wash like you say Quickdraw. The flash gitz yellow was just to bright which is why it wasn't working before. So when trying to achieve the shade in my opening post the colours became to dirty and the detail of the ships became filled with to much wash leftovers/run-offs.

Now, hopefully a highlight of the averland and maybe a 3/1 ratio of averland and flashgitz yellow will get what I want or close to it. Maybe a tad bleach bone in there somewhere as mentioned. 

The parts that are white on the spartan games paint job....thinking of black as will look fairly sweet, or a deep red? like a burgundy colour.

No progress pics at the moment, most likely Sunday when the missus gets back with it. 

oh, and going to pickup reinforcements tomorrow, carrier and destroyer units. Had planned to have this lot done by now, but settling on a colour scheme and getting it to a point where I'm happy with it has been unnecessarily difficult. 

That is a really good looking yellow. You got it looking a lot closer to what you were looking for in your original post. 

As it seems you're using the citadel paint range you might try Korne Red. It goes on really smooth and comes out a bit darker then how it looks in the pot. 

Thanks all :)

ANd , I think something happened to my yellow. Had to stick another thin layer of wash over it as it got to bright with some highlights. Still look alright but starting to become a chore... . Think it needs more red somewhere, thinking the whole wingy bits going red(only the bit that sticks out the furthest).  

002_zpspjsbvvnx.jpg

001_zpsuvwmurhw.jpg

003_zpshilzcr1p.jpg

004_zps9oa0tns1.jpg

My thoughts are leaning towards a light battleship grey and the red bits in the same place.

Also, while colours are a freedom of choice/expression, it doesn't feel overly navy themed to it, if you follow me? 

Your yellow still looks just fine. In my opinion what you really want to watch out for is wash pooling in places, it looks unnatural, so as long as you've avoided that you're in good shape in my book.

I think if you added the red to that first raised stripe on the wings and then the rear wing portion itself (if that makes sense...). So basically add red to all of the raised portions on the wing and I personally would call it quits there.

The colors you've chosen look really cool on those RSN ships.