Benchpresser

DW for rest of 2016

Prussians are not the most sturdy fleet in their medium section, but their larges and massives are very tough!

They do have a steep learning curve but they are by no means a weak fleet. Combined teslas with speers and good boarding is nasty! Their SAS is also very nasty.

55 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Having rugged construction on most of the medium and larger vessels makes them tougher than they actually look. Perhaps you have been forgetting to discard the AD from the opponent's attack?

I really, really hate rugged construction.  The attacker always forgets because it isn't his fleet, and the defender always remembers too late. Depending on how you play it, you either waste a good roll and redo the roll minus the die (goodbye, double crit), or gnash your teeth as defender because you weren't in time reminding him, again. We ended up just substracting two successes off a good roll some of the time.

3 minutes ago, varnos said:

I really, really hate rugged construction.  The attacker always forgets because it isn't his fleet, and the defender always remembers too late. Depending on how you play it, you either waste a good roll and redo the roll minus the die (goodbye, double crit), or gnash your teeth as defender because you weren't in time reminding him, again. We ended up just substracting two successes off a good roll some of the time.

As a house rule, if we forget to subtract the dice before rolling the attack, roll the equivalent number of dice as a "blue shield" instead of rerolling the whole attack

Prussians are a balanced fleet.  Our mediums and smalls might be flimsy but boy,  they are our core boarding utilities and support. Thus, you need to protect them till they get in range.  there is a learning curve and I had a lot of bitter defeats before I could start winning games,  but our units are very versatile,  capable of switching roles at a moment "s notice. 

Note that Prussian is a combined arms force,  so the fleet has to work together as one to accomplish your goal,  even though sometimes,  that means sacrificing your units to get your enemy  in position 

6 hours ago, varnos said:

With Prussians I do not find this as annoying, since most of their fleet has rugged construction. However, we do tend to forget it when its just one model in the fleet that has it (like the Eagle), then its annoying.

8 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

As a house rule, if we forget to subtract the dice before rolling the attack, roll the equivalent number of dice as a "blue shield" instead of rerolling the whole attack

I like it, I think I'll use this houserule from now on. Thanks!

In my opinion, the MAR is worthless by itself. A roll with enough dice that has a high  statistical probability of causing a critical hit (like 13 dice vs a cruiser) is still going to have a high probability of causing a critical hit if one of those dice are removed. So effectively you've done nothing but inconvenience your opponent.

Rugged (2) isn't bad, but it still has the same problems, for me. It does nothing but inconvenience your opponent, which is pointless.

Now, having said that, Rugged works best when working in conjunction with shields. The Kaiser Karls Rugged (2) and Shield (2) makes it a fortress. Rugged (1) and shields works nowhere near as well, but it still provides some decent protection.

But without the shields to back it up, the MAR is worthless, and I would welcome a better defensive MAR to be applied to the Prussians.

On the sliding scale of defence and offence,  the majority of Prussian fleet is much further towards the firepower side. Rugged is equivalent to shield (1) but with the added bonus of encouraging the opponent not to split their firepower as much. Rugged is a pain on large vessels with other defences as well and is even more of a pain on small vessels where you really don't want to commit too much power. On mediums... well, it is not very powerful but the mediums themselves are! If you could not kill them quickly then they would be terribly powerful  (like the Danes...) and they have the speed to make good use of space and terrain (or charge right into your face in and suicidal distraction charge).

Prussian orbat is one of the better ones in my opinion, lots of good options to cover varied roles and few duff units across all the theatres. Good internal and good external balance on the whole (though with a learning curve).

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised for the Prussians to be considered 'easy' opponents. I have played Prussians and only Prussians since version 1.0 and I have had my share of wins and loses. I have lost because I have been outsmarted, out played or out maneuvered but I have never felt outclassed by my opponents fleet, it is my opponent that has my respect. This is one of the prime reasons I enjoy playing DW still. It is a game of fleets where skill not faction selection is paramount. The fleet balances, in my opinion are not far off. In DW I fear the dice god but I dreadnought.

Prussians are far from easy opponents IMHO - one of my regular opponents is a Prussian player, and while I don't see myself as a very good player, I don't exactly suck as well. Thamoz's summary is spot on! Glass cannon like mediums and tough larges - seems to be the Bond flavor actually. 

17 hours ago, GuzizuG said:

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised for the Prussians to be considered 'easy' opponents. I have played Prussians and only Prussians since version 1.0 and I have had my share of wins and loses. I have lost because I have been outsmarted, out played or out maneuvered but I have never felt outclassed by my opponents fleet, it is my opponent that has my respect. This is one of the prime reasons I enjoy playing DW still. It is a game of fleets where skill not faction selection is paramount. The fleet balances, in my opinion are not far off. In DW I fear the dice god but I dreadnought.

Elbe me God,  not another pun! 

7 hours ago, varnos said:

I don't know why your gaming group has such a hard on for the French, in my group its usually the british or russians prevailing.

Because they have systematically annihilated most things they play....yes they can be beaten...like most fleets, and Mr Guz has beaten the french, however even on a bad day the french can often still win. Alot of French lists lve seen are sub optimal, which is fine in a non tournament setting, but french can out activate, have awesome firepower and be rugged...all at the same time.

Before bemoaning any faction or unit always remember to fear and loathe power creep. Many a game has found itself in an endless cycle of 'fixing' unit/faction X because it is too "weak/easy to kill/toothless/not what I want" and once fixed, unit faction Y is suddenly in urgent need of correction and so on, ad infinitum ad nauseum. Small tweaks of -5 points here and there can and should be made as playtesting indicates but the tendency to add dice to either attack or defense should be a very last resort. The game is not being played in mass amounts and the metas used are wildly variant. I have seen virtually every faction described as both overpowered and hopeless,  sometimes within the same thread (OK, rarely are the French described as weak but I also remember the wailing and howling of doom and despair when the heat lances rolled out in 2.0).

My Brits got beat in a 2000 point land engagement over the weekend in a close, very enjoyable game (curse you stupid gynormous vile Hochmeister:P) and while some units may have been a little off, in the aggregate, it worked as a balanced, competitive and enjoyable game. Arbitrarily upping either side would have added nothing and might have skewed the balance. If the aggregate works, the actual minor unit tweaks are less important. Change yes but very cautiously, very little and test the heck out of it first, meaning many many iterations by many different groups.