Benchpresser

DW for rest of 2016

Problem is....how long can a game go without anything new, no rules, no models, no campaign , no forum presence, no updates.....

Oh there is that 2 player box set with "some" rules and stats

after two years....this game is stale, not many new people are playing (in our area) and people are learning that the scatter gun approach doesnt work.

Yes im bitter, yes im sore about it

But Frankly spartan have only got themselves to blame

I've voiced my concerns about Dystopian Wars in Spartan's Summer Survey in the hope that they will act on it. I get it that forming dedicated teams for each game will take some time, but in the mean time we need something to show that this game isn't slowly dying. There hasn't been a new release for Dystopian Wars in a long while, so I'm really hoping they do something so to save this game!

Well lets hope it has effect. Dystopian Wars is my favourite Spartan game and I would hate for it to sink beneath the waves! I think it is a relatively unique game which has great potential if handled good by the Company. Especially since there is now a fast play version available as well.

On 20/08/2016 at 9:42 AM, Nicius said:

Well lets hope it has effect. Dystopian Wars is my favourite Spartan game and I would hate for it to sink beneath the waves! I think it is a relatively unique game which has great potential if handled good by the Company. Especially since there is now a fast play version available as well.

I think the risk goes a lot further than just potentially harming DW sales. I know I personally haven't touched either Firestorm or Halo, even though both are attractive to me, because I don't want to invest (mainly time) on a game system where I am not confident it will get support for a decent window.

I know Varnos has the reasonable position that he can keep playing with what he has, and I am genuinely glad he is getting use of it, however I think there's a considerable part of the market that isn't as fortunate. I would happily put the effort in to find a DW community to play with, or to evangelise the game to a wargaming group hat didn't currently play it if I thought it was going to get the attention and support needed to keep going as a system.

Like I say I love the theme and I love the models. I'd happily get a second fleet to demo the game with, and I love the idea of using fleet action to play bigger scale games with my beloved French.

I've decided that I won't invest in any new Spartan Games system in the foreseeable future. I will first see what happens with their own IP before I think about investing in a new system from Spartan. For Dystopian Wars, I will be finishing my fleets and keep on enjoying the game as much as possible. For Planetfall, I more cautious to see whether that system survives due to the fact that a lot of players have wandered off after the imbalances and the slow response from Spartan.

I feel much the same. I bit so hard on DW. And I will support more DW unless it truly sucks for some reason. (Heck, I bought a couple of dreadbots against my better judgement, just for the model, and to support the game...I dislike them mostly in terms of play.)

I bought into FSA a bit, and Planetfall.

I expressed my point of view in the survey as well.

I will never again support a new Spartan game....UNTIL....they re-earn my trust as a company. This is not a negative.....as I am very eager to have Spartan regain my trust. It won't be hard if they put in even a decent effort....but recently the effort/communication situation has been so close to zero as to earn the current low trust status.

I will never support Halo because I do not favor a two faction minis game generally, and I have seen the inevitable final fade of pretty much all licensed mini games. Spartan has little to do with why I will not buy Halo. However Spartans Halo-focused strategy has greatly impacted why I buy less other Spartan items.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:07 AM, varnos said:

Agreed! It is what it is though, and we'll see what happens with the game in the future.

For now though, I enjoy playing it like I would any other boardgame: it may not get expansions, if it does I may or may not buy them, but for now the base game is pretty darn fun!

My group still plays games that many would consider dead. We like them, and we play them -- lack of support does not magically make the rules, minis, and other elements nonviable. We'd probably end up writing out our campaign system and tweaking things a bit here and there, but it'd be the same game.

However, cessation of company support severely limits getting new people in, and some people just cannot grasp the idea of playing a game for enjoyment outside of supported tourney/campaign play.

LIke DSW and Reacher, I have a solid group of 10 players who all have excessively large fleets, and most have multiple fleets.  We play monthly due to the sheer volume of games we play, but when we play, we'll have 4-5 tables going at once.  We'll have grills going, Guinness flowing and dice rolling.

The game is not DEAD in our eyes.  It just has reached a saturation point of product.   Instead of new a new rules set, we are more interested in the unrealized alliance nations.  (ie SUSA).  I would also like to see land forces for the waterbound allies.  We'd rather complete the storyline we already have and not worry about a rewrite of he rules that are not broken.  Updates to various fleets are fine, but 2.0/2.1 is just fine in our eyes.  To each their own.

4 hours ago, BigB said:

...Instead of new a new rules set, we are more interested in the unrealized alliance nations.  (ie SUSA).  I would also like to see land forces for the waterbound allies.  We'd rather complete the storyline we already have and not worry about a rewrite of he rules that are not broken.  Updates to various fleets are fine, but 2.0/2.1 is just fine in our eyes.  To each their own.

+1

I like the rules as they are and would like to see more factions (ie Free Hellenic Kingdom, Republic of Egypt, Garibaldis Legion,...) or extensions to existing factions (naval and aerial DoC and STO or Italian land forces,...). To introduce these new forces there could be a campaign book (like the ones already existing for 1.1).

The community here lacks regular players, finding new ones is difficult because of talking people into a great game, which is obviously badly supported by its company makes little sense. A few rumors or a handful of models would be helpful to me.

Well locally I only have a single opponent. Which might be able to push DW a bit more here, but without any form of apparent support from Spartan this is difficult. There is a large player group located 100-140km away in the Netherlands, but we don't get to make that trip to often due to our busy schedules.

Besides DW de also play Planetfall and are waiting on the delivery of DropFleet Commander. Due to our own work schedules we play roughly every 3 to 6 weeks. 

So DW is not dead here in the Netherlands, but I am wondering about the support from Spartan.

13 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

For us, it's not so much the game being "dead"- we have a combination of work schedule clashes, and travel distances. It is a bit difficult to get regular games when some of us live over 200km apart.

I hear ya Anthony. But I have to say I dont listen to that arguement much.   While I have a decent handful of people that play nearby (with 10 radius mile). The larger combined group is centered about about 60miles from me at the FLGS.  Which is just about half you 200km.  And several of us drive that weekly to get a couple good games in.