Benchpresser

DW for rest of 2016

Just wondering/wishlisting here, but what do you think the odds of us seeing anything more for DW this year?  I realize the summer is out with Halo Ground coming, but I'm hoping we see something.
My dream would be a Ottoman Aerial box shortly after the air rules for Fleet are released.  Frankly it doesn't have to be a full 2.0 box, just put a new Large, a Medium and a new Small in it..
I can sort of see the Ottos getting a lot of Low Level Flyers, dropping down to work as a skimmer for a Bombard then jumping back into the air for Bombs and Airburst Mines. 

chances of anything significant are slim, 2014 was a good year, 2015 was virtually barren, 2016 is barren so far

im expecting nothing of note this year and either new sets early next year or 3.0

what i would love to see however is a little mission statement...look guys Dystopian is as big as its going to be i.e no more new nations, however we will flesh out some things....or, good news, new nations will be coming in the next 12 months. 

The silence around dystopian has really hurt the gaming scene for it, if it contiunes i would honestly say id consider dropping it and playing something else ( which i already have started )

Indeed, some of the core rules like sas need looking and, tac cards, a list of stuff really, its not an index its a horror show, and its a big problem when trying to promote the game to new people, one or two page references, not seventy:P

Thyphs and Wolfchild make some excellent points.

Its disappointing to see that more community support was promised, but its basically Anthony and most of us keeping the online community going since James left.

It is getting to the point were why do we bother, a year and a bit with almost zero releases is not a healthy product line, even worse when we arnt told anymore, during 1.1, Spartan Derek would be active all the time, talking about units and upcoming stuff, now no body bats an eye lid unless halo is mentioned.

I just don't get it, it feels like the path uncharted seas took.

It was promised that dystopian wars wouldn't be side-lined for halo, but it feels like its been forgotten completely.

Is it still the flagship game?

what i would love to see however is a little mission statement...look guys Dystopian is as big as its going to be i.e no more new nations, 

This. DW range is already huge and it can not grow forever. About half of produced minis are almost never used (armoured mostly, aerial models as well). This should be adressed and it can be done both in 2.0 (stat tweaks, promoting combined forces, campaigns, scenarios etc.) or in next edition in 2 years time. Because it makes sense, right? DW is promoted as combined forces game, we have models already made "sitting on the shelf" but the rules and overall approach are not in favour of combined arms games.

And again, VANGUARDS in the first place should be revarded for creating new content which should be published regularly to keep the people interested ;-)

You think DW has it bad for new stuff?   You wanna look at Legions.....

Whilst new stuff is great, there is only so much new stuff you can bring out for a game.  There are Nations that have a very limited number of models and when those ranges get fleshed out people who have Fleets that didn't get new stuff will still be moaning about not getting new models.

Maybe what's needed is some campaign material, something to get people playing with what they already have.

8 hours ago, Merlin said:

Legions was a bad idea from the start, and its no surprise its practically dead by now. It never really took off.

That possibly had something to do with the fact it was never really marketed properly, though that could be said true about most spartan products

A lot of very good points made.

I agree with Thyphs it would be great if Spartan Games laid out their plans for the future development of Dystopian Wars. The fact that this has not happened implies to me that either they don’t have any plans or they haven’t worked them out yet. I side with the latter as no business kills off it’s cash cow through neglect unless it has a viable alternative. For Spartan my guess is that the alternative would be Halo, only Spartan would be able to tell you how that is panning out. If Halo has taken off as well as Spartan hoped or better then DW will be left to wither.

My belief is that the problem Spartan have is twofold. First the sheer effort required to do a rule change properly. Think of the number or permutations that need to be taken into account and play tested when doing this, I suspect that this was not done for the abortion of the rule to ‘fix’ drone spam for the CoA. When DW moved from version 1.1 to 2.0 it took not long off a year from start to finish to complete and there were not that many factions then. As for Version 3.0 rules, maybe that’s the Fast Play rules?, if that project was starting now my guess would be that end 2017 would be a realistic release date. Second is down to resources, have a look in the various rule books, I haven’t, however I suspect that for DW, Firestorm , Halo and spin offs if you check the names of the designers Derek Sinclair aka Delboy is in all of them. Delboy is good there is no doubt about it, but their is only one of him. I could be wrong but I don’t think that there anyone else in the list that can take some of that load? As Presidente stated - consider how involved Del was and got others involved in getting DW 2.0 going and running. Sadly with the length of time DW has been in limbo we have lost the bulk of the play testers judging by who posts on the forums these days. It would be great to have Del working on DW again and rounding out the game with the rest of the factions and a review of the rules for a version 2.x or 3.0. Realistically from Spartan’s point of view I don’t see that doing a lot of work on DW as being the biggest money earner, which is the way they have to look at it – they are a business not a charity, so while I am always hopeful I am not expecting a great deal this year.

I was approached by James several Months ago saying he was recruiting new people for the playtesting team, unfortunately nothing came to pass as shortly after James left us for pastures new.

A lot of what is being said here isn't real Criticism of spartan, but I would say well educated and knowledgeable gamers, who have a passion for the game, understand its mechanisms through casual play and competative play, I mean, if there is a broken OP list out there you can guess then Myself, Presedente, Bob or GuzizuG will have used it, We understand where the problems and frustrations of the games occur, potentially how to set on the right path to correcting them

I honestly Feel that whilst Spartan cant employ people directly due to overheads ect ect, there are people sat on this forum that would gladly work together with them, play testers and the like to get this game on the right track again.

Spartan, people want to help, the community wants to help, rather than let this great game and setting slip under the waves, James was our crutch, which now feels like its been kicked away, rules questions generally dont get much of an answer for technical stuff, the forums are far too quiet compared to even 12 months ago

Use the Community, ask for help im sure many, including myself would oblige

On 6/16/2016 at 8:41 PM, Presidente said:

Indeed, some of the core rules like sas need looking and, tac cards, a list of stuff really, its not an index its a horror show, and its a big problem when trying to promote the game to new people, one or two page references, not seventy:P

Thyphs and Wolfchild make some excellent points.

Its disappointing to see that more community support was promised, but its basically Anthony and most of us keeping the online community going since James left.

It is getting to the point were why do we bother, a year and a bit with almost zero releases is not a healthy product line, even worse when we arnt told anymore, during 1.1, Spartan Derek would be active all the time, talking about units and upcoming stuff, now no body bats an eye lid unless halo is mentioned.

I just don't get it, it feels like the path uncharted seas took.

It was promised that dystopian wars wouldn't be side-lined for halo, but it feels like its been forgotten completely.

Is it still the flagship game?

did someone mention UCS?   all this sounds a little too familiar................

Ok,. I held my peace in both the general forum and the playtester forum.   But there are somethings that need to be explained.  Do not take this as a rant.  It is not. I'm writing this at almost midnight local time during a food break while night fishing on vacation and I'm relaxed out so I also apologize for any spelling or grammar issues. I just see somethings that testers come under fire that we haven't touched or things we have no control of and want to explain what I know.

First a quick timeline from a tester.

When I started as a playtester... Umm I forgot how long it was ago.... It was made clear there is 2 test teams  the "alpha" which consisted of the "inhouse" Spartan guys and then us "betas" which resented the larger scattered player base.  Alphas (therefore Spartan) could easily override us and do what they felt if needed.  We had a busy schedule then, before during, and after 2.0  Then as a couple other games got busy and big our director was called away to help them grow. Which left us directionless for awhile.  A few good things came from this period as we floundered around.  Then as it seemed a new person would be put in charge a different person was put there and the other left.  Which a few question arose from but nonetheless we had a direction and knew what we need to work on next.  However the person in charge has now been quite for sometime and we have again stalled.  Poor Anthony and a couple of us keep the forum active with questions and comments related to ideas to try.

Guys trust me.  We do listen to your discussions.  And we study them. A large part of what we do is determining what is considered OP is related to that particulars Meta. or determined not to be an issue for a host of other reasons. Don't think you're ignored. I've personally read complaints on here and went back to my team and games came out differently then reported with different people playing.  Which brings me to another point id like to bring up  the "beta" team is representational of a lot of people  we have anywhere from single players to people like me who have a huge playgroup behind me that plays a lot.  Not all of them are on these boards but we all enjoy the game and enjoy helping it grow. 

Now my opinion.

As testers we have absolutely quite for quite awhile.  There was a large uptick when Giles from element 270 became Spartan Giles and took over from Derek.  But I understand his personal and professional life has kept him busy.(which I totally understand). But the playtester a have also found themselves in a ship with no captain. We haven't actively had a goal/target since the last few allied nations.   We have some ideas about what they want to look at next but no real direction.  I 100% agree they need to add more community involvement and discussion back into the DW forums.   I will make note of several some may be teasers and may answer some questions.  And in part I'm doing this to promote discussion about the game again.  Hopefully I'm not overstepping my NDA.

The Coa drone spam. This was thought on and tested a lot.  We liked it. However I will mention that there may be additional tweaks to the feedback rule as we continue to play it.   It's not going away, but possible tweaks. 

The dread bots. There have been several plans to redo these and retweak them.  I'm fairly certain this will be done once we pick up again.   

We tested a lot of new units for nations that are already released. We have no control when these will come out so can't tel you more.  

There are a few other rules issues that we were working through. 

I can tell you as a tester I had no seen the new fleet action rules before they were released.  Although there may have been other testers who had.   

There are things that the testers never get to touch. And somethings we miss. In all its a fun game I hope to continue to help grow and support. But to help the game grow we need the same support from Spartan themselves. At least on the DW front. 

Dean

Reacher, that certainly did not come across as a rant, a very thoughtful and constructive post.

I certainly appreciate the work of developing the game, as a KoB player I used to be very 'abbrassive' on the boards, I consider myself a very calm and collected person, but as the local lads can vouch, DWars used to send me into rants at almost every tournament. 

The game feels like it is slowly getting to the point of a nice balance, it just needs seeing through.

I really do hope that a bit of life can be breathed back into DWars, also I hope FStorm isn't the same because I just got a fleet on the cheap ...

Not a rant at all - Thank you for giving us your insight.

I am just worried, the game has been withdrawn from the brick & Mortar stores that I visit across 3 states.  People are just not playing it.

I must confess, I have also shelved my fleets and have played other miniature games that are more actively covered by the parent company and

continue to push out new product and or revise old. 

Just my $0.02 worth - But Dystopian War is 3rd in line being Halo and the other Space game. - which feels like it is heading exactly the same way as

Uncharted Seas  {I still own 2 fleets from that game}.

On 21. 6. 2016 at 7:16 AM, Reacher said:

I can tell you as a tester I had no seen the new fleet action rules before they were released.  Although there may have been other testers who had.

I wish you did, SG definitely need some third party to look at everything before publishing, they are repeating same mistakes again and again and again.

On 6/22/2016 at 7:06 PM, Lord Nobody said:

May I recommend re-reading http://www.spartangames.co.uk/the-dystopian-year-ahead

They have done the first two things on the list. Don't see why the won't do the rest.

True.. but we all know how SG is almost ADHD in focus.  If Halo: Ground does good enough, I can absolutely see DW getting pushed back till 2017 to make the most of Halo's popularity.  While i agree a popular game is great for business- you don't let your signature game die on the vine because of it (ala GW).

Honestly I'll be happy if they just achieve the "Alliance restructuring" section of that blog by the end of 2016.  If they can do that plus just one campaign support, it will go a long way to help DW...

On June 22, 2016 at 1:11 PM, spooker said:

Not a rant at all - Thank you for giving us your insight.

I am just worried, the game has been withdrawn from the brick & Mortar stores that I visit across 3 states.  People are just not playing it.

I must confess, I have also shelved my fleets and have played other miniature games that are more actively covered by the parent company and

continue to push out new product and or revise old. 

Your correct that the withdrawal of the DW line from shelves has most definitely hurt.   I think this has to do more with the distribution process.    One of the guys in my playgroup was the manager at our FLGS where we typically play and said it was hard to order through the typical distributors.  And I agree with doing away with blisters. There was just too many.

Ive been told that Spartan themselves have started handing some of the distribution but don't seem to be actively hunting for stores.  

Again, hopefully the focus comes back around.  

Dean 

I also hope that it does.  I do like this game, but our FLGS {4 in the state} have no interest in this game anymore.

They have a lot of the armada and planet-fall space game as well as Halo from Spartan games  But no Dystopian War.

I am afraid that it might go the way of the sail fantasy game  { I also own 2 fleets in this game - they are also shelved }.

Time will tell.  At least I have the rules and a few fleets to always play the game with if it does disappear from the tabletop landscape.

Take care.

On 7/14/2016 at 6:28 PM, spooker said:

I also hope that it does.  I do like this game, but our FLGS {4 in the state} have no interest in this game anymore.

I think the importance of a game being perceived as having a future is incredible. I've just come back from a year or so break from gaming and the first thing I've done is get on with painting my RoF fleet. I love the models and the setting, and the rules are fine, but I'm really conflicted about whether it's really worth getting back into. It's clearly not getting a lot of attention from Spartan (and that doesn't have to mean loads of new models and fleets constantly...) so I'm hesitant about investing any more and/or putting the effort into trying to find an active community in my new area.

2 hours ago, N1AK said:

I think the importance of a game being perceived as having a future is incredible. I've just come back from a year or so break from gaming and the first thing I've done is get on with painting my RoF fleet. I love the models and the setting, and the rules are fine, but I'm really conflicted about whether it's really worth getting back into. It's clearly not getting a lot of attention from Spartan (and that doesn't have to mean loads of new models and fleets constantly...) so I'm hesitant about investing any more and/or putting the effort into trying to find an active community in my new area.

Agreed! It is what it is though, and we'll see what happens with the game in the future.

For now though, I enjoy playing it like I would any other boardgame: it may not get expansions, if it does I may or may not buy them, but for now the base game is pretty darn fun!