Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Jones

More Fleet Commanders.

9 hours ago, blut_und_glas said:

That certainly works, however, I feel it would also make the commander slightly more powerful and significantly more versatile.

In the original draft above, the Upgrade 1 ability is worded to directly affect Rewards instead of the Battle Log, i.e., it will not help you win the (naval) game instead only giving a slight boost in a subsequent Planetfall game (or lessen the impact resulting from the loss of the naval game). So, you can indeed preserve your fighters to gain an extra Reward point per ~10 points spent during fleet building but it's not a straight up conversion of Fleet Value into Battle Log.

Battle Log already directly affects Planetfall Rewards, your Battle Log score is your Planetfall Rewards.  Why needlessly add another complexity factor to it?  In fact the whole point of the naval game in these scenarios is to win the naval battle, not to score a purely naval victory, but to boost the ground forces advantage.

Thinking about this again, what I feel might be missing is an additional incentive to use the fighters in their normal role instead of preserving them (even if that is not a game winner). I originally thought just getting them so cheap might be enough for that, but all that talk of not launching them at all now has got me a bit worried.

This is exactly why I suggested what I did, incentive to actually use them instead of just min-max rules-lawyering an scoring advantage out of already price-reduced units. If you can buy Fighters at a discount, use them!  No combat unit ever did anyone any good on the battlefield by sitting back at the base. 

My first ideas of how to solve this seem a bit too complex, like letting fighters "land" on the planet after performing an attack run against a model instead of returning to base, thus triggering the Reward bonus.

Also why I suggested using the planetary boarding assault rules from the System Wars scenarios, it takes advantage of an already existing rule/scenario condition, keeps it simple and within established system by not adding yet another (potentially complex) exception to the rules.

...the Attacker’s standard fleet ships may perform Boarding Assaults against the Planet (either directly or using SRS)... For these purposes the Planet has a defensive dice pool equal to the attacking AP+2 (to a maximum of 10), and is considered to have the Special Forces MAR. If the attack is successful, increase the attacking player’s Battle Log by +1. Note that no other effects occur other than this adjustment.

-pg. 11 System Wars-

As to how you would do this.  The absolute simplest way is to simply switch AD for AP and Defender's dice hit on 3+ (as per Special Forces).

Another way is to keep it within SRS combat mechanics: The Planet gets a PD rating equal to the number of incoming SRS +2, and hits on a 4 or better. If the Fighter token is not Driven Off or Destroyed, increase the increase the attacking player’s Battle Log by +1. Note that no other effects occur other than this adjustment.

And I know some people will ask why not allow Bombers to do the same?  Because if you're going through the effort to send troops down, you want to capture/take something intact.  Fighters are capable of precision strikes against specific military assets within/among what you want to capture intact. Blatant mass destruction by Bombers are NOT what you want in that situation!

Do you dislike the concept (i.e., being able to field "pan-corporate" fleets) behind the Hawker admiral, or is it the execution?

A little bit of both, Spartan has/had rules for using captured ships, IIRC in the old Marauders of the Rift book. I'd want to take a look at those first before I'd be comfortable with giving an Admiral a specialty in that.  The other thing is that it looks like way to many radical changes, but that's may be more of a personal preference issue. Kind of a gut feeling that it might be a bit much.

Well, that looks like quite a few birds with one stone. :)

New artwork, new commanders, and with those per definitionem also new fluff. And all of that for three factions at least.

But back to the topic at hand: Should I rather do a traditionalist Sorylian or a Dindrenzi commander in charge of the technical evaluation of captured enemy vessels next?

"For A6 statistics cards for print"

FSA to get HFB style commander cards? would be interesting to see! Make-your-own-commander rules? One can dream:D

3 hours ago, blut_und_glas said:

But back to the topic at hand: Should I rather do a traditionalist Sorylian or a Dindrenzi commander in charge of the technical evaluation of captured enemy vessels next?

Sound interesting. Trying to get Kurak vessels in 'Renzi fleet or 'Renzi's in sorylian?;)