varnos

Looking for input on Fleet Action template

Hey folks,

I am by no means a graphic designer (rather, a programmer), so the kinda stuff that I do on these forums doesn't come too naturally to me. I'm now looking into creating redesigned stat cards for the Fleet Action rules of DW, and I finished the first version of a template that I'd like to use. Before I put it into production however, I'd like your feedback! Anything you dislike/like about the layout, colours, suggestions... All are welcome.

TvGcLDW.png?1

Hey folks,

I am by no means a graphic designer (rather, a programmer), so the kinda stuff that I do on these forums doesn't come too naturally to me. I'm now looking into creating redesigned stat cards for the Fleet Action rules of DW, and I finished the first version of a template that I'd like to use. Before I put it into production however, I'd like your feedback! Anything you dislike/like about the layout, colours, suggestions... All are welcome.

TvGcLDW.png?1

Looks good. The only modifications I would suggest is to include "fixed" or "arc" somehow.

Thanks folks. I'll tone down the red a bit (it's pure red right now).

@Nazduruk_Bugzappa: What do you mean, exactly? Arc is included in the labeling in yellow on top of the weapons, and I don't think there actually is a Fixed weapon in this mode... Just 90 degree angles, from what I've seen. Disclaimer: I don't have the rules yet so I'm working off what I know from planetfall instead, which isn't much.

Publish the rules online Spartangames, please!

Thinking - maybe as an additional shorthand, rather than have Range Band labels, have the distances instead? 8", 24", 24"+ or something like that. I know we all tend to convert the RB distances automatically, but it'd make it easier for newer players, especially since the range bands in fleet action are not directly proportional.

Perhaps do the same thing to the main DW cards as well.

Thinking - maybe as an additional shorthand, rather than have Range Band labels, have the distances instead? 8", 24", 24"+ or something like that. I know we all tend to convert the RB distances automatically, but it'd make it easier for newer players, especially since the range bands in fleet action are not directly proportional.

Perhaps do the same thing to the main DW cards as well.

A good suggestion, but I'd rather not lose the labels themselves (PB, EF, LR) and then I'd have to see if I can fit it on the cards. Unless I start doing a major overhaul of the main cards, however (if I ever do), I'm not going to implement it there since that'd take me about 4 hours of work for very little gain... Better wait until I can really redesign something.

The card looks excellent my only query would be the red colour for the bomber line. I have raised this on the fleet action forum. The rule book is quite clear that the defending model use the Active defence (BLUE) against bombers therefore I feel the bomber line should also be in BLUE just like torpedos are shown in BLUE because the Active defence is used also against them .

The fighter line being BLUE is correct because the fighter adds his attack dice to the defending models Active defence.

I printed out a copy to see how it would look and it works very well. I assume though that this isn't the printer friendly version? (or will there be?, as dark printing on light background is more printer ink friendly)

Thanks for the print, Erloas! I don't really have access to a printer and I'm basically just guessing what works/doesn't on paper. I'd still need to make a printer version, yeah... That's gonna take a little longer because of the way this stuff works right now: YLLAN set up certain macros in photoshop for his templates, and now I've gone and royally screwed with that template (beyond all the little changes that I've made since I've taken over), and that means that I have to first do some preparatory work before PF becomes a thing... Quite likely you'll see me first throw out some preliminary version of the cards of all nations sometime next week as I've just started setting up all the underlying datasets (a lot of CSV filling), then I'll update the MARs with actual rule summaries once spartangames finally decides to ship me the fleet action box order (which is taking very, very long :| ), and then I'll make a printer friendly version.