Brother Glacius

Are there plans for expanded faction lore?

I'm a huge fan of the Spartan games. I currently own models for Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, Firestorm Armada, and Planetfall. Locally, there is not a big community for the games though. Seems like lots of people own some Spartan stuff, but getting them to come out and play is a bit hard. Some of this has been to the length of time it takes to play a game.

That is why I really enjoy Planetfall. The game is quick, rewarding, and looks great on a table. When I do get games in at my LGS, I always get people asking about the game. I usually direct them to the web site to learn more.

One of the comments that I repeatedly get back from people is that there isn't much background for the game. It is one of the few failings I see from Spartan. Most wargamers that I know, like to feel connected to their armies. It generally determines what they play. Not only that, but the more connected they feel, the more they invest in it as well. I find it is hard to reach that with the Firestorm series. I know there are fleet guides out there for FA, but so far nothing for Planetfall.

Is this going to change in the near future?

I'm sure there are; but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it. Spartan is a small team and much of the lore is locked up in Niels head; which is busy with rules and models and management and production - lore is something i'm sure they'd love to work on more but likely is way down the list in the priorities at present and in the near future. 

Well... No? Relth have always been centauroid and have always been given a range between 6 and 10 limbs with 4 to 6 being legs on an individual by individual basis. Likewise, warriors were always 15-20 feet tall, around 30 in power armor, which matches the models. And since Cqb, on a model by model basis, represents either small arms fire or melee and Relth have neither small arms nor gunners to man them, then yes, the average Relth model has stats reflecting close combat mastery. Ergo, we DO have exactly what you described?

What is being refered to is the shift from Relth being a bug race that went against the typical bug race tropes to one that typifies them- In Armada lore books, Relth bolster the numbers of their adult Warriors with fully robotic drones, in Planetfall literal larvae are deployed for combat. In Armada Relthozans, though hive-dwelling, are respected as individuals with goals, ambitions, and drives only limited in a loose sense by caste- Warriors are not just soldiers. They're bodyguards, hunters, explorers, and even lawyers- Relth section of the Zenian League book discusses how ritual duels are the primary system used to solve civil disputes not just between hives but even between citizens. Warriors start fighting young, but there's no indication that larvae would have their fates already determined, let alone that they would be thrown into battle to die in droves, before they've left the larval state.

And that's before you get to Warriors in Planetfall being bred into certain battlefield roles, Warriors being "bio-spliced" together (particularly when the model in question is shaped like something a single warrior could operate solo with no issues, and might be cramped in alone), and the like.

This is all highly questionable, and more so since the models and their rules work either way- the bizzare changes were needless at best.

One key factor in your comments about Depth social roles, the males are ALL warriors. They aren't limited by caste, but are by gender. However the Relth shift has more to do with practically for inclusion in gamestyles that weren't concepts when the FSA lore came out. With Planetfall we needed a big biological model force. A giant "kaiju" army to face the giant mecha of the human forces. Ditto for a swarm army, yeah the Terrans would have done well too, but to counterbalance the "big monsters" little easy to kill individually swarms works. None of that implicitly contradicts the old lore, until the little guys became organic. This is where the retcon had to happen, and the problem isn't Planetfall, it's really Spec Ops fault. 28mm inclose game on a 4'x4' board; 6" tall even more wide spiders... don't work. And being told that you're suddenly the robot army, ditto. Making the infantry organic was the obvious answer. I always looked at the Relth like feudal samurai anyway, honorable cultured highly intelligent warriors. A society that values the sink or swim at everything you do mentality. Throwing the warrior brood into combat with only the most necessary training? Survival of the strongest/smartest/skilled for the betterment of the race as a whole? Right in line with the lore. They only at first glance look like the generic bug race. However the generic bug race tactic is to throw waves of cannon fodder while the monsters wade up thru their ranks. That's not the Relth way, Relth favor weaving through terrain tactically for precision strikes and dropping in reinforcements on pivotal objectives. They're more Predator than Xenomorph, and that's exactly what I see their lore saying.

But organic infantry doesn't actually solve that problem- they still don't represent the race's individuals in any real sense, because you're still talking about troopers in a state where they're mostly guided by outside forces rather than by their own thoughts. Great, now you're not the robot army, you're the baby army. Fun. It also misses a great opportunity for some asymetry in Spec Ops- you easily could have the force represented by mechanical drones supported by female drone controllers and combat engineers buffing the drones themselves, which is in line with a heavy Relth gameplay theme in both Armada and Planetfall wherein little stuff gets buffs from other sources. Likewise, if the lore kept repeating "warriors in battlesuits supported by swarms of mechanical drones," people would expect mechanical drones- it's a fallacy to say that they had to change to retain flavor all the way through the three games.

I still don't have a clear picture of the Relthozans. Where is the best place to learn their lore? You guys seem to be going off of details that are not on the spartan web site.

The Firestorm Armada rulebook(s) and Zenian league book, I think.