Sign in to follow this  
Scrambles

Planet Construction

So far I've been substituting templates and whatever circular household objects I could find for planets but I'm looking at making up some purpose built scenery now.

I'm guessing that the most common building material for planets/moons would be polystyrene/styrofoam balls, am I right? It seems like an ideal place to start. However... there don't seem to be that many places (walk-in stores) that actually stock them in a variety of sizes (I can only find very small ones). Does anyone have any recommendations for buying them online? Specifically looking for suggestions based on personal experience and ideally in Europe.

On a related note, I've seen a few examples of peoples work on the forums already which were great, does anyone else have painted/modelled plants to show? :D

I have all the planet blanks I will ever need. About two holiday seasons ago after New Year's I came across a bundle of Christmas tree ornament globes. They were flat, jet black. :huh:

(Maybe some interior designer types had declared that year was the year that Christmas Trees all done up in Black and Gold were to be the IN thing... :unsure: ...designer types...)

So anyway, I have this enormous box of flat black (as if pre-primer coated :D) plastic spheres just waiting to be turned into a Solar System.

(Maybe some interior designer types had declared that year was the year that Christmas Trees all done up in Black and Gold were to be the IN thing... :unsure: ...designer types...)

I remember going into Wal-Mart that year and they had this hideous gold christmas tree with black balls and black garland on it, it was very freaky looking.

Has anyone ever bought or seen any of these mats on a table?

http://corseceng.com/fabric-mats/

Not only have I seen them but we also have some great pictures of them on our Facebook page

319625_170009629749331_955264985_n.jpg

There are more where those came from. Look at our Engagement Album on Facebook. I know that Firebase Delta has some of these mats also. Hopefully they will chime in!

I used some plastic spheres I found and panted them up. I just find planets shouldn't have textures that can be seen but rather painted on, more like photos. The white is from my desk lamp shining on the red planet.

This comment is in no way to disrespect those that make their planets textured, just a preference I have.

They look really nice. I just can't help but think the one on the right isn't just a giant gumball though. I suddenly have the urge to eat something cherry flavoured...

Anyway, nice look overall and they should be impressive on the table!

zak

Don't listen to him, I love the red one! :D I haven't found smooth plastic hemispheres yet. I only find those styropor decoration spheres, but they have an ugly texture and would take sand or several layers of glue to lose it. But I'm gonna keep my eyes open.

Best I can tell you is that I use a brush, put it in paint and brush the model. :-)

I kind of don't want to share my silly methods.

But really it is kind of like blending, don't try to force a solid color in one go.

On the blue planet I basicly just brushed in two direction from left to right. Because I wanted to look of rings I used mainly a wide flat brush and the thin edge for diffent thickness effects. Let dry a bit and then repeat. After multiple coats with this method it was done. Also the blue planet is done with just a primer gray and one color. No washes or changing colors. Manipulation of opacity is the goal.

For the red planet it maybe harder to explain.

Primer. (Vallejo gray) goes on smooth and will hold.

Red (pick color you want).

Black (to darken color).

I used a wide flat brush with red brushed in random directions. Using the basic concept of opacity at this point it looks like a jacked up patch work of red. I repeated this a few more times. Then taking a crappy brush for drybrushing I stipple (jab) at the planet, at the same time I am brushing patterns of terrain too with the same brush. The paint is some what wet when doing this. I repeat this process with added black to the red. After going back and forth with different colors shades of my red. I use a smaller brush to paint more patterns to blend and accent random patterns.

If you seen me actually paint though the steps (no real ordered steps) most of the time it would look terrible. One advice is to learn what the paint will do when used with water also helped with the painting of the red planet, were the paint would bead and collect.

So try to follow my painting style. Lol :-P

I forgot to say, if I wanted an even coat, I would use a airbrush and do multiple passes till it was a solid color. Maybe another planet I will do that for ocean part and paint land masses, then weather effects. (Future project/ goal!)

So how would you paint those weather effects you talked about? 

I would go about first painting up the planet without it. So I feel lighter colors first followed by darker colors. Because I may do a earth like planet I would go with blue over the entire thing the follow up with the earth colors.The weather effects I would be painting them in using pictures as reference. Getting the clouds to white will be a challenge over the darker land masses but not impossible. I figure going over with a gray then up to white will give good coverage without having to keep apply white over the dark areas. When I get a day off I will work on this. I hope Monday will be a good day to attempt this.