my directorate corporation managed to capture an overseer gate awhile back, my engineers finally figured the infernal thing out...imagine the aquans surprise when 10 of my stations were suddenly raining radioactive salvos into the waters of csera :D

where battle stations in FSA realy show there strength, is defending against flanking, 360 arcs, and slow speed allow them to trail the fleet, but punch out the lights of anyone who tries to pull in, so your right, they don't lead assaults, but they do defend the fleet :)

1 hour ago, DanSG-19 said:

The problem with those ideas, Xen, is why bother strapping an FSD to a station in order to send it to fight the enemy, when you have ships with FSDs already installed that can do the job? That's the logical fail with Battle Stations in Firestorm Armada. Ships are better for battles than a station would be, stations are better at fixed defence than ships can be, but that isn't taken into account in the game. 

Remember that there is ALREADY a canon Battlestation with an FSD drive in Armada.

20 hours ago, Ryjak said:

The FDA Destroyers fill a completely different role, one which has no comparison to any naval ship to date, not really in any Sci-fi.  So it's a bit easier to accept this redesignation of ship class.

If you think about it FSA Destroyers fill the role of submarines in comparison to wet navy craft. They lurk/travel under normal detection conditions where you can't make normal shots against them very well if at all (underwater vs Hidden Killer/Stealth Systems/etc) until you get right up on them (depth charges / inside 20" range), they're hard hitting snipers better at sinking individual ships from stealth and vulnerable once you get one close/on the surface.

All of this really comes down to personal taste.

As has been accurately pointed out, we've dealing with science fiction here, so any current-day comparisons or similarity to other science fiction backgrounds are tenuous at best.

When push comes to shove, if Niel wants "battlestations," he can have them however he wants them, as he's created the fictional universe that we all know and love.

We all have preferences - personally, I would prefer that DTM did not apply to them - but that's only my opinion.

This is a relatively minor point in a big game that I'm going to enjoy regardless of how this shakes out.

Shunting a battlefront ready repair and resupply station with enhanced med facilities would be worth shunting into a conflict area. A mobile base if you will. Able to reposition (slowly) and to be bought in by FSD girdle (good name for it haha). Your other options are to build a base on site or to send injured personnel and damaged vessels to an existing base that perhaps is an FS jump away.

Tenders could always bring the modular components of a B.S. to be constructed as quickly as possible in a system.

All possibilities. The fact that Spartan has given them a MV attribute above 0 indicates they can change position under their own power. Therefore if you can do the above, shunt or build, then potentially you can wait a while and assault an enemy BS with your own! Seemingly a bit bizarre to some, perhaps just more unlikely than bizarre, but if it's there and given enough time they could meet. Admittedly it 'looks' bizarre but isn't that due to the fact we've been indoctrinated into sci fi 'rules'. It's a station. Station has a definition in dictionaries. Station can be something you stop at to find respite. So they have different priorities for their volume than Space fleet vessels. Battle Stations just tend to be more capable for combat.

I use the directorate battlestation a lot, and it has useful range out to 40 inches, combined with it's low cost, I could very well see the directorate using them offensively, placing a foothold, bombarding civilians with biohazardous orbital strikes, and placing a foothold to anchor the system and help repel would-be cavalry :) in short I like em as is, fluff and gameplay :) after all what else would you call it... if not a battlestation. personally "ominous advancer" "sluggish vanguard" or "less mobile battleship" just don't quite roll off the tounge ;)