Sign in to follow this  
slimeball

Battleship squadron in huge games

Has anyone/would anyone try a battleship/battle carrier squadron in a really large game. How do you think it would play out? I have a massive 3-4k (undecided yet) games versus FragEmAll's sorylians or directorate in august and am considering floating the idea but wanted to examine any obvious pitfalls.

I get the idea, but with regards to carriers, what are the plans for SRS tokens? Only 2 per squadron as is...2 per ship? or just can the limit?  My friend and I recently tested scraping it; his Ares took 6 bombers, 3 interceptor. 3 shuttles. can't sy it split reality apart.

Out of interest what would you suggest as a squad limit? Can't see more than 2 models being balanced IMO.

Personally I think the 2 SRS limit is too harsh.

I think you should be able to take as many SRS Tokens per squadron as you want, but with a limit of 2 Combat SRS (Fighters, Bombers, Intercepters, Assaulters).

For example, I've got an Ares and can take 5 Fighters, 5 Bombers and 2 Support Shuttles. Or 6 Fighters and two flights of 3 Support Shuttles, or 6 Bombers, 3 Intercepters and 3 Support Shuttles.

I hadn't even thought of SRS tokens lol, could make things more complicated than just stacking up battleships etc. I think I would personally rule that a squadron of 2 T1 carriers would need a cap of 4 and a 2 per turn launch rate, makes a pair of Ares pretty scary if you get past that dual praetorian :)

And yes my Frag, I do know about your carrier collection. We can discuss it more one of these Fridays coming up if you are interested

My concern on balance would be the level of power available in a single activation.

I am sure some friendly players could make things work.

When Taskforce was mentioned as being larger games.

I thought that it would be grouped activations like activating a full Recon Helix... I mean Recon Battle Group at once.

That could make it Big, Fast, and Deadly

Do you manage big games like that with two admirals and sets of TAC's?

Tried it before and found it a bit of a PITA.

Do you roll separate/individual initiatives for each fleet/admiral? Are TAC limited only to the that admiral's commands or can you play TACs anywhere?

Having done some fairly large games in the 3000 to 5000 points a side mark, I don't think battleship squadrons or squadrons of T1 units (outside of Battle Cruisers, because they already are a squadron of multiple ships) are really needed. If things are getting a little sluggish with larger games, double activations could be used to speed it up. Otherwise, I think you'd have to have a smaller scaled game (like Epic was to 40K) to get games big enough to warrant putting battleships and the like into squadrons. 

I have played a couple of large scale games, wasn't an issue of time etc as we usually play pretty fast and loose anyway (neither of us is a particularly fussy player) was just an idea to add something a bit daft, particularly after reading an excellent series of books and imagining squadrons of battleships and their sheer power.

I was wondering about TF and large scale too.

The rule book starts out saying it is an introductory game for new players and for 30 min games.

And then under the escalating engagement scenario it talks about deploying one battlegroup at a time and holding every second battlgroup in reserve. This sounds like bigger games not 30 min games.

I would like to try large scale, but we will need stats for more ships first