Sign in to follow this  
schoon

Cool, Durable Planets

Hey Gents -

I was looking for planet/planetoid options that would work with FSA, and found something that I think will be light, durable, and paint up well:

http://www.superiorlighting.com/search_results_a/314.html?Search=plastic+globe&Submit=Search

Just cut off the "lip," and if you're feeling really thorough, you can mount to an acrylic or MDF base of appropriate size!

I painted a foam half sphere to make a planet for my armada fleets. You could do a full sphere as well for probably a little over half of the cost of the plastic sphere. If you are worried about the foam sphere texture I have had good success coating the styrofoam with modpodge or elmers glue. 

I put together a tutorial of my process on my blog here if you are curious to see pictures.

I found plastic outdoor lamp covers at my local DIY store for 35 SEK ( about £2.50, or $4), that currently works as planets for Armada... So yes, great idea, but should be available cheaper somewhere...

I just threw up the first link I found to use as an example. I'm sure there are cheaper places to get these.

I'm not a big fan of Styrofoam, as it dents when knocked around, but I understand that it's sufficient for most - and cheap.