Sign in to follow this  
FragEmAll

Favoured play style now?

Well it was a bloodbath! It ended with a -8/-7 zero hour tracker in my favour. While technically a draw I claim moral victory for Kerender here!

Second time using our heavy helix and it really pulled its weight (especially the Huk'vok'ka).

Heavy infantry was on their game as usual, with one unit butchering through three or four Relthozan light infantry squads before finally dieing.

After the game yesterday, I was thinking a bit about our units. I was wondering if anybody tried to use Mul'kats as a defensive screen for our long range units?

I've managed to protect my heavy helix quite well with the Bol'Vok'Ra and Kul'voks, however I would prefer to use that unit more aggressively .

On the other side, holding most of my units back and letting the Relthoza approach through my gunfire really worked.

Bor'ka's are still a bit meh for me, but function as decent meat shields

Just as you asked Nicius, I tend to use Mul'Kats as a mobile defenders for our Tank Destriyers and our Heavy Tank from the pesky srop units. Use a scout move to move them near the closest drop marker and put them into Overwatch. 

Mul'Kats don't have a recon move right? Or am I missing something? So a unit of gun teams might be a good investment?

I was thinking about going infantry heavy next game, something like this:

@3750 points:

Logistics points : 1

Core helix:

• 2x Huk'Ka
  • 3x Bor'Ka
  • 3x Bor'Ka
  • 3x Ka'kun
  • 4x Kul'Vok
  • 4x Kul'Vok
  • 6x Mul'Kat, gun teams, Officer, Bol'Vak
  • 6x Mul'Kat, gun teams, Officer, Bol'Vak

Recon:

• Bol'Vok'Ra with 4x Kul'Vok

Heavy

• Huk'Vok'Ka
  • 3x Sor'Ka

Maybe I should drop one of the Bol'Vak transports to get points for a full strength squadron of Ka'Kuns. What do you think?

I'm not sure. I haven't see it at least. But with artillery it's just a bit practice to get the hang of it. One of the things I usually do is try to give my opponent a choice, either move through my artillery markers, or into the firing lanes of my long range units.

Given the fact that we have long range designators and some units with double designators (Hello Huk'Vok'Ka) you can threaten stuff like tank destroyers right from your first activation. I've done this several times with success I can say. Even if they move, and you don't get to bombard them with artillery, they loose their placed bonus, which is a pretty big deal (especially when they move into line of sight of your tank destroyers which don't need to move).

On 7/11/2016 at 3:11 AM, Nicius said:

Well I've played a game of planetfall yesterday (4k vs Relthoza).

My Bor'kas were killed before the got a shot off but that made sure that my twi squadrons of Jagors got into range of two Salamas squadrons which they killed over the course of two turns so it was a even trade I guess.

I'm still not convinced about the Borka. It is a nice meat shield and a threat fir my enemy but it lacks the toughness to withstand any form of concentrated fire. For a meatshield they are a bit expensive at 6 tv per unit. I might try two small unit next time and see how that goes. 

Furthermore versus Relthoza I'm more and more convinced we need to play the long range game instead of rushing into their ranges.

As a Relthoza player (although I haven't played much against Sorylians), I have to agree. Salamas at close range are downright nasty, and my challenge is usually how to get close enough to do enough damage. This is particularly true against an army full of hover vehicles, but I think it applies against your walkers as well. You close with a Relthoza army at your extreme peril! 

The difference between the Salamas and the Bor'Ka's is that Salamas has a very decent long range attack at 24"  whereas the Bor'Ka only has a mediocre long ranged attack at 15" and only becomes very scary at 10" at which point they usually have suffered casualties.