Sign in to follow this  
FragEmAll

Favoured play style now?

So, we lizards are now spoiled for choice when it comes to play styles. What is your preferred way of playing right now? Long ranged gunline style with heavy helixes, command barges and dual heavy walkers etc. Or do you prefer to get in close to smash face with assault helixes, ground attack and loads of infantry?

I currently play up close and personal, but that's more a result of my available helices (core+recon) then anything else at the moment.

I think there are three options when it comes to Sorylians in Planetfall.

Up close

Recon helices, aerial ground attack helices, assault helices and lots of heavy infantry

Long ranged gunline

Heavy helices, command helices, leviathan firepower helices.

Combined forces

as the name say, a combination of the two

I personally think that the combined forces approach might be the best way to play Sorylians. Have some long range assets cover your approach and make the enemy choose with with threat they deal first. 

Of course, all of this is Theoryfall as I don't have any other helices as of yet beside core+recon so hopefully some of the more experienced lizard generals join in the discussion with their wisdom.

We're still running fairly standard 3500 points games here (well, it's just my comrade and me currently playing Planetfall). Since I'm up against Relthoza, I'm still not sure what the best course of action is for me; Combined arms, long range shooting or up close and personal.

For now I'm going with combined arms, since I've got little long range support at the moment (my only long range guns ar those on the Huk'ka's right now) so I'm getting both Assault and Heavy Armour Helices, altho I'm contemplating exchanging the Assault helix for the command helix.

I am mostly facing Terrans, sometimes Dindrendzi or Directorate, and I always use the close combat option. I usually get blasted to pieces, but thanks to Recon, I always win on objectives. I must say we use a relatively lot of los-blocks, like hilss and buildings, so my tactics works. In forest or on open ground, my Borkas and other short range units would die before even getting to fire a single shot.

Well I've played a game of planetfall yesterday (4k vs Relthoza).

My Bor'kas were killed before the got a shot off but that made sure that my twi squadrons of Jagors got into range of two Salamas squadrons which they killed over the course of two turns so it was a even trade I guess.

I'm still not convinced about the Borka. It is a nice meat shield and a threat fir my enemy but it lacks the toughness to withstand any form of concentrated fire. For a meatshield they are a bit expensive at 6 tv per unit. I might try two small unit next time and see how that goes. 

Furthermore versus Relthoza I'm more and more convinced we need to play the long range game instead of rushing into their ranges.

I've been pondering about reducing my Borkas to two walkers instead of three. This reduces the threat level and reducing the tv loss. Might not be a big meatshield anymore.

I've come to expect little from my Borkas. They lack the speed to get anywhere decent and the toughness to weather the firepower.

I have a bit of a Dystopian Wars addiction going on at the club I go to right now, so my brave Sorylian ground forces are tucked up in their troop ships for now. It would be epic to see if there are any plans to release further unit types now that the core lot are completed but we shall see. 

As for your urban camo scheme idea, i totally approve of it! like a puzzle camo scheme, or a digital camo scheme?

So any more insights? I'm still having a hard time against Relthoza here (which is the only other force locally). I have a full core, heavy and recon helices. Last game against Relthoza was a lot closer then before, but I'm still having the feeling that I'm constantly on the defence against him and that I cannot dictate his moves in any game changing way. I'm starting to loose hope on this game actually...

I have not played the lizards myself, but what are the issues you face each game?

you mentioned your Borka keep dying

Do you deploy them so they can Recon move into cover at the start of the game?

ok so you have Core, Heavy and Recon, what do the Relthoza have?

My opponent also has Core,  heavy and recon helices. We play at 3500 points.

I try to recon move my Borkas into cover. But with Planetfall's line of sight rules it is has been hard to completely hide them. Their short range is a serious issue with how killy planetfall is. Once they' re in the open they die.

MVP's usually are my heavy infantry which have ranked up some serious kills.

My main issue is that I have a hard time responding to all the sky drops. My long range fire tends to kill some units at range but cloacks tend to block most of my damage rolls.

Maybe I should just get some more games under my belt. But after fighting a losing battle the last year against Relthoza I'm losing hope to be honest. 

Any advice on how to maximise my current helices against the Relthoza would be great!

I' ve tried doing that. However they get sniped by the Relthoza. Though I now can snipe back with my other units.

I' m feeling I'm missing a serious alpha strike unit. The borkas are simply not tough enough for that.

Borka definitely are not an Alpha Strike unit. More for hiding off to the side and waiting for something to close 

how much Terrain are you using @Nicius

a few solid building clumps could cover your approach better  

Always remember that if your enemy shoots up your Bor'ka that will give your Sor'ka a chance to return fire

We're using a friendly table set up with slightly more terrain then according to the rulebook. However this also gives a lot of cover for the enemy to hide.

I have found that it is pretty difficult to hide a 3 strong squadron of Bor'Kas completely. I've been pondering to move to 2 squadrons of 2 Bor'kas instead of three.

I know they perform a decent fire magnet role in the orbat, and that fire directed at the Bor'Ka's isn't going to Sor'ka's or other targets, but still the Bor'Ka's die fast and usually without much actual influence to the game. There is always a patch of clear ground they have to cover and then they get shot up by longer ranged Relthozan units.

I think both the Bor'Ka and the light infantry are the units I struggle the most with in the Sorylian Army. Bor'ka's just don't have either the speed, the range, or the toughness to survive. I've found at the recon move only slightly helps and sometimes even brings them into range of the enemy a turn earlier.

The light infantry have a similar problem. I tend to use a unit if 3 gun teams to guard my tertiary, but other then that I find little use of them. Their transport is nice, but not really tough and without assault vehicle difficult to use effectively and a massive target.

do squadrons of 2. march them up to a Spider sky drop point that threatens your line and slap them in cover on overwatch. dare him to drop there. THat is certainly one use for them. Our heavy infantry are certainly our damage dealers though!

Well I've got a game coming up next weekend against Relthoza at 3750 points. The current list I've settled on is this one

Logistic points: 2

Core:

2x Hukka

3x Borka

3x Borka

5x Kakun

4x KulVok

4x KulVok

6x MulKat (officier, gunteams) in a Bolvak

Heavy:

HukVokKa

3x SorKa

Recon

1xBolVokRa with KulVoks

4x JaGor

Alternatively I can go with this:

Logistics points:1

Core

2xHukKa

2xBorKa

2xBorKa

5xKaKun

4xKulVok

4xKulVok

3x MulKat (gunteams)

Heavy:

HukVokKa

3xSorKa

5x KaKun

Recon:

BolVokRa with KulVoks

4xJaGor

4xJaGors

So, which one would you prefer and any pointers or alternatives given the helices I have and the fact that I have to face Relthoza?

so no further pointers? My Planetfall match was postponed for two weeks due to real life messing with our wargaming timelines. However, that gives me some time to further optimise my list. I'm guessing this will be one of the last Planetfall games this year with Hawk's DropFleet Commander coming in and the fact that I've just obtained a significant American Fleet for Dystopian Wars.

But it would be great the win a game of Planetfall for once.

I think I prefer the second list. While I prefer Ka'Kuns over Kul'Voks because of their speed, our Heavy Infantry are more resilent, due to their DR 6. 

I think having more units with Pin-Point are better, coz' you'll get a chance to strip second HP from the Relthoza's walkers, even with their annoying Cloacks, so w squads of Ja'Gors are welcome. 

yeah I was thinking along the same lines. Pinpoint is a bit swingy, but that makes it worthwhile to bring a lot of pinpoint to increase the odds. JaGors are nice, although very fragile compared to BorKas off course. So I might shuffle my first list around a bit for more BorKas again. Maybe losing the Kakuns in the Heavy helix for 2 more BorKas would be a smart move.

I like Kakuns as well, however KulVoks have the advantage of ignoring cloaks in CQB, which has ensured the downfall of several Relthoza heavy walkers. I guess my next purchase is now bound to be the Command helix due to four facts: More JaGors, More KulVoks (with shields from the Barge!), more long range firepower and more artillery. Hmmmmmm.