Mr.K

'Scenic' bases

A recent post about the dreadbot bases has made me curious about other bases.

The FSA Boston Submarine has a large water base around the ship itself. When firing I have been measuring to the turret on its nose.

However, when being fired at, does the water count as the base?

If the water is part of the base, does that mean that fixed channel weapons use the whole base as well?

Similar question regarding the EotBS Wani Fortification.

Where do I measure rockets from and where do incoming shots measure to?

Edit: What about when boarding attempts are made?

Honestly part of me thinks that they should be consistent and keep it only to the model.

Consider that a converted model with a base (not uncommon) all painted up can look as good as an official scenic base on a model; suddenly new players will be confused why it appears some are measured to the model and others to the base.

Honestly part of me thinks that they should be consistent and keep it only to the model.

Consider that a converted model with a base (not uncommon) all painted up can look as good as an official scenic base on a model; suddenly new players will be confused why it appears some are measured to the model and others to the base.

The rules as written don't care what you think. Measure to the base.

This counts for aerial and skimmers also.

Which is my point - the rules shouldn't punish a player for adding a scenic base. Similarly the game shouldn't be splitting things between bases and models. It's a problem for a game like many Spartan make because most of their models are unbased (I notice that Firestorm Planetfall is all based models which is likely them trying to get around this). 

I am baffled by this discussion. I think the rules considering models and bases are totally fine as they are since the model is always just what you put on the table (including an attached base), no more, no less. If you choose to add bases to models that do not usually have one, then it is you who creates a problem. That is not Spartan's fault. Why don't you just houserule this to ignore the scenic bases (which doesn't even feel like houseruling to me since the models originally don't even have bases) or, if all your opponents are ok with it, ignoring bases whatsoever?