Sign in to follow this  
Ryjak

Aquans Sweep Adepticon!

In case you didn't hear, Aquans placed in all the top spots at Adepticon this year. I'd like to hear about why these three players think they did so well, and see if they had any commonalities. Looking at the photos, it seems they generally took the same units (many are in two of three fleets).

I'd also like to discover if there are any commonalities in tactics and strategy. Which TACs did they use? What did they consider priority targets? Did anyone use Corrosive Torpedoes? How many Tokens did they use? Is it all about Aquan Tier 1s?

Back in my GT the other month our top three were

1. Terquai Torp Heavy

2. Aquan Destroyer Shenanigans (played EXTREMELY well I may add)

3. Oroshan / Syndicate

The last two years at Reading WARfare the top player has been an Aquan list (without Sullis too!) and I've come 2nd at both, once with Terrans and Veydreth.

Aquans, in the hands of a good player, are a phenomenal force to contend with, and I've still not seen the Sullis filth yet! 

I must say, I didn't play you in the first year but the second year, your last had me all over the place. I simply couldn't contend with so much speed and fire power coming my way!

You played it most excellently and fully deserved it!

*Shakes fist* :P

Tactics - concentrated firepower , use terrain as much as possible to close because 13 hits usually destroys an isonade and pick the biggest threat and take it out ! (i found it easier with the all cruiser list as it could crit a Battleship three times a turn once range 2 is hit) mine the backfield to discourage shunt/outflank and for the first list - assault and try to capture the enemy flagship with terquai (should have used reserves more with them than I did)

Tacs - depends on opponent and mission but top three used for me was probably drives to max, precision strike (and forgetting to use it lol) and for the battleship list the aquan srs one to keep the bombers round (luckily I didn't have to face directorate or repairs would be vital)

No use of corrosive either time and one had one 6 strong bomber srs

A lot of pressure was on the tier 1's both times (340 points for the tsunami so they had to perform !) But the tier 2's were the workhorse and both times the tier 3's were vital for objective grabbing (especially the snappers hehehe)

Hope this is what you were asking for Ryjak

This is my fleet list.  I'm going to get very meta here.  Why I think Aquans did well is that 3 experienced players recognized the main Aquan power which is: consistently available multiple direct fire arcs.  Even without a Sulis, it's nearly impossible for an Aquan unit to not fire 2 out of 4 of the available Beams arcs in any activation, generally Fore and one P/S, often at the same enemy squad.  That doesn't include Mines and Torps which are a bonus. 

The game is won/lost IMHO by who can throw more 'effective arcs' of fire in consistently round after round.  I define "effective arcs" as a roll of X dice that has a statistically 80%+ likelihood of damaging, hopefully critting, the target.

Aquans just do this better than any other faction, due to their number of arcs and maneuverability.   There are other contenders, like the Ba'Kash Cruiser, but not as consistent or maneuverable, and not a major faction with the depth of units.

So speaking of units, there's not a bad Aquan unit, IMHO, just different tools for the shed.  And the Sulis isn't the main problem because it's such a one-turn-trick, but it does add insult to injury.  It's just that even without Sulis the Aquans throw more arcs and have no significant weakness.

Thanks, Stoobert. I agree with everything you said, but I think you already knew that. I have found any model with a significant Fore/Side arc weapon combination to be quite strong... Like RSN Frigates.

Which TACs did you use? What did you consider priority targets? Is it all about Aquan T1s?

Yes RSN Frigates are another a good example.

I used Regroup always, and Burn Thrusters w Tarrakian allies. My third card was mission dependent: Drives to Max, Prescision Strike, but most often Evasive Manuvers.

My list was more T2 than the other Aquans at Adepticon. While mine hits harder and and has more raw HP, it has less DR and degrades more quickly. I see the wisdom of a 2-Tier 1 list, but would be hesitant to play a 3 Tier-1 as my colleagues did.

Target priority: depends on turn. I generally go for an early BL lead by targeting frigates. After that I target by opportunity, whatever he puts closest to me, but generally try to burn down his Admiral ASAP. An 11-12 BL swing is hard for any opponent to overcome.

I was able to watch a few of the aquan games being played, I had a bye during round 2, and something that I saw all the winning players do very well was using their ships' mobility to make very effective use of terrain.

TL0 makes it much easier to both utilize terrain defensively, and get in the double effective arc fire.  From an outsider's perspective, I think maneuverability is the major flavor for the race.  I wonder if switching to a fore fixed rather than open fore would be an over reaction or about right as a balancing concession to those that worry about Aquan power dominance.  Pushes their weapon profile to be cookie cutter similar to a lot of other races though. 

Maneuverability is key for Aquans.  However, it's only reallly relevant for Cruisers.    My Aquan Cruisers can do donuts in the parking lot, poop out a mine, back up a couple inches, all before pew pew a double barrel laser barrage in their face.  From a detached perspective, that's just silly.   1" TL would reduce their power, but not totally nerf 'em.

No unit should have 0" TL in my opinion, period.  It makes minimum move meaningless and flips inertia the bird.  If anything, Smalls should have the power to go straight from Full Stop to Full Move (or 1/2 Move) the next turn, or that ability could be a new MAR called "Acceleration".  That's a good enough bonus for being T3, you don't need to perform a charade to move in a circle just to stay right where you are.

Interesting, the 2nd place guy has no Sulis.

That's pretty cool, although would get out of hand to have a 4" TL on a Dend Dread.  Haha. F___ 'em though, right?  Like I care.

FYI, Taskforce has muuuch wider turn circles than Armada, for what it's worth, if that's where this game is goin'.

Aquans should have the maneuverability (for fluff reasons); it's all the goodies that come on top of that. DR5 and difficult target come to mind for their cruisers, for example. An adjustment might be they get one or the other, not both.

DT isn't a problem IMHO, it costs 10pt per model and is ignored by too many things to mention in a single sentence.   One solution is increasing turn limits of EVERYTHING in the game by 1", which is a good idea to explore at least.  With that change would Aquan Cruisers still be as good?  No.  Would they still need a tweak?  Maybe?   If they did it would be slight.  5pt increase?  Slightly weaker P/S batteries?