slimeball

French toughness?

I have had a few people describe the French as a tough fleet, but they seem to have very few defensive MAR's like shields, rugged etc. What am I missing, they look like one of the more fragile fleets as far as I can see. Clouds seem like a good idea, but reducing your own firepower in the process makes it much less useful.

Reducing your own firepower?!? Have you been using the generator correctly? I think only being able to hit ships on 5's and 6's and then not being able to re-roll some/all of those 6's makes quite a sturdy defence!

How would you describe the French playing style? The others have their own schtick which I can easily explain to a newbie, but the French seem neither here nor there.

Heavy larges/massives that can soak up damage, and protect the rest of the fleet. Fragile mediums that punch well above their weight. Fast smalls that provide support roles for their larger siblings.

Heavy larges/massives that can soak up damage, and protect the rest of the fleet. Fragile mediums that punch well above their weight. Fast smalls that provide support roles for their larger siblings.

this is a nice summary, I'd also add The French across the board do better against "exotic" damage like fire or Rocketry than they do against a straight up Gunnery fight.  They have the speed to exploit any battlefield (circling and cutting off any flanking groups etc) and can negate any advantage terrain may give their opponent.  (It's fun watching your opponent mutter as a Magenta\La Rochelle and a Chassuer Squadron pop up over the island chain he just hid behind...)

How would you describe the French playing style? The others have their own schtick which I can easily explain to a newbie, but the French seem neither here nor there.

Like a fast stabby knife fighter. Just when the knife stabs someone they catch fire and to into organ failure!

Failing that:death by 1000 cuts. Lay on crits and tokens using superior speed and firepower.

I used heat lances for the first time, the piercing effect was nice to have, getting to roll for crits (and then being able to adjust them by +1) was really handy. I lost, but will take heat lances again. My 1000 pts was

Magenta mk1 with heartlands

Couronne

2 x Toulon

3 x Marseille

4 x chevalier

4 x Lyon

The Marseille died horribly to some corvettes and a regent carrier, the magenta got unlucky and lost its cloud gen early on never to repair it. Was still a great ship though, but not a brawler.

The couronne was great, really chucked out a decent amount of firepower. I did feel keenly the fragility of my ships throughout the game.

I used heat lances for the first time, the piercing effect was nice to have, getting to roll for crits (and then being able to adjust them by +1) was really handy. I lost, but will take heat lances again. My 1000 pts was

Magenta mk1 with heartlands

Couronne

2 x Toulon

3 x Marseille

4 x chevalier

4 x Lyon

The Marseille died horribly to some corvettes and a regent carrier, the magenta got unlucky and lost its cloud gen early on never to repair it. Was still a great ship though, but not a brawler.

The couronne was great, really chucked out a decent amount of firepower. I did feel keenly the fragility of my ships throughout the game.

Piercing doesn't give you a reroll for critical hits. It gives you the ability to roll critical effects on reaching the target's DR

No...mostly because I vary rarely use a heatlance in 1k or 1250...gunnery french all the way

I've been using gunnery french for a while now, so I'm considering giving heat lances a go. What was the reason you went the gunnery route?

My regular opponent has Brits/Raj so he has a lot of piercing ammo. Never seems to do that much. I feel like it is more of a small bonus.

What I like in the heat lance is the fact that they are redoubtable, flaming, and pinpoint. The piercing bit is a bit meh. 

Do you get much use out of the piercing mar from heatlances? I tend to focus 9n killing ships instead of spreading damage

Yes. On average you get a 7 for hard pounding but +1 can bump to an 8 which is a movement penalty. Out manuvering your opponent goes a long way to winning with the French.

Remember the fire token too. If a Cher fires three times and gets 3 DR hits it can in theory take off 12AP on a good roll/opponents poor roll. Then you can board with little resistance.

I run mixed turrets and Heat lances. Turrets are better just for the number of dice you get and the flexibility of targeting multiple squadrons It isn't that difficult to get every gun on the Saint Malo to fire at something by turn 2/3. The only issue I have with turrets is their swift degradation of firepower. 

The only thing I will say is Dieppe over Toulon any day of the week. The Toulon is a slow medium with little Boarding potential compared to the Dieppe. Dieppe is also wicked-good against subs with its insane CC and Decent Torps, something not all French can handle. 

Hmmm, sounds like I should try the Cherbourg again sometimes. I've been running mostly gunnery units for a while now with my french. I really like the Dieppes, fast, lot of firepower and can be very effective against subs and flyers. A true multirole cruiser.

However, I wouldn't discard a full squadron of Toulons so quickly. I've noticed that the extra CR really helps with their toughness and their prime weapon system is redoubtable.

Right now I'm thinking I should get my hands on a La Rochelle and start using my Cherbourg a bit more.

Speaking of heat lance units. What's everybody's take on the Courronne? I really like the model, but I feel it is overshadowed by the Tourbillion.