TheEveryMan

Declaring target with crystals

Hello! When shooting into crystals, do you declare the target of the next shot before or after you find out how many dice you get?

For example, my lone Sedna fires at a crystal. Do I have to say who the crystal is shooting now? Or, do I roll dice, determine how many hits it takes (which determines how many dice the crystal will get for its shot), and then declare a target.

Obviously, picking the target after knowing how many dice it will get would be beneficial to the Aquans. "I was going to shoot your tanks, but after all of those exploding sixes, I'm going after your leviathan!"

Whenever I have played, I declare my target from the shooting unit.

So for example.

"My Sedna's are going to shoot your Anarchists that are behind that building, by shooting through the crystal that is in LoS of both of them."

That makes the most sense given that from a story point of view you would have to configure the lasers to refract in the correct direction from the Crystal. Anything else might be a Rules as Written, but just doesn't feel right. 

Additionally this is how Spartan Derek is happy with me playing it (despite him disliking me killing his Anarchists....)

I know I need to target a unit to shoot with the crystal. My question is when do I have to declare that target. Can I wait until I know how many dice my crystal is going to have?

As with Kraggi; We choose the final target first. Hence why i said:

You should target a unit to shoot via the crystal.

The crystal just improves your range or allows you to shoot around a corner. 

The crystal just improves your range or allows you to shoot around a corner. 

I have been known to park a Crystal in front of a Larata that wasnt going to move, so that:

1. The Larata cannot be seen (the crystal is armoured and therefore blocks LoS to it.

2. The Larata went onto placed shots at a short range (8" or so) to hit something that was 30+" away. 

3. The Crystal Ignored the Hover MAR (it only has EF range)

Lots of tactics for the Crystals, and they only cost 30 points so worst comes to worst you drop it simply to force another activation out of your opponent....

Aquans have pretty much a tool for every scenario, except CQB... although the Assault Helix covers that somewhat.