Sign in to follow this  
richomack88

FSA versus EoTBS versus RoF

Hello All,

A quick report from the last match we had at Basildon Warboyz on 3rd of April !!

Battle Report: Republique of France vs FSA vs EotBS

Victory Conditions: Points Total
Secondary Objectives: Collect objective markers for 10% extra points

Results:
1st: FSA > 1105
2nd: Republique of France > 955
3rd: EotBS > 470

Summary: A narrow win for the FSA, RoF with a late points charge and a much improved line up for the EotBS

Today's match was a 3way encounter pitting the FSA, unbeaten in 5 matches, against the old enemy, EotBS; who added some new units to their line up, plus the Republique of France threw a fleet into the mix.

EotBS drew the first blood, taking out a RoF small and the FSA followed up dowing a EotBS heavy bomber with a volley of gunfire from several ships including their dreadnought.

Early moves in the game meant the FSA were stretched very thin, with their fleet having to counter an EotBS battering ram consisting of a Hachiman dreadnought, a Raijin gyo, squadron of Tanuki gunships, two Tenkei fortresses and one heavy bomber - whilst ensuring the Rof Fleet, which had a heavy battleship, dreadnought and an array of mediums were kept in check.

A squadron of Tanuki gunships nipped into the centre of the board to grab an objective and to lure the FSA dreadnought into open seas and to bring the dread into a killbox filled with EotBS heavies - later in the game the gunships were blasted apart and two were rammed (with one being sunk) by the FSA dreadnought.

Meanwhile the RoF had a torrid time with some utterly horrid dice rolls, usually reserved for the EotbS and did not rack up a kill until 4 hours into the match claiming an Uwatsu frigate.

Eotbs were content picking off French smalls and added several to their pile, whilst the FSA kept hammering RoF mediums with moderate success.

Midway through the game the FSA dreadnought was caught in a very nasty situation, with 4 large/massive EotBS ships bearing down on it and reducing the HP enough to make the turrets almost non effective - a New Orleans ship supporting the dreadnought failed to repair the dreadnought on 3 occasions and even the supporting FSA frigate squadron had little success - with dive bombers and EotBS removing them from play.

Then the French woke up.....

In the space of two hours the French claimed the last few HP on the stricken FSA dreadnought, bagging over 400 points in the process, an FSA blimp, an FSA bomber and in the last throws of the match the RoF dreadnought tore apart the FSA commodore claiming even more victory points.

The EotBS, in fairness did not have a lot to shoot at, with the FSA mediums and weaker ships deployed towards the RoF lines and therefore had to be content with 3rd place, although a much improved line up and the new units due to be added to the EotBS listing could well mean a turnaround in the nation's fortunes.

For the FSA, it was not all one sided and at one point the FSA were stretched so thin that it almost became two lots of 750 points versus each ot the enemy fleets. However they hung on and despite some critical losses, including the first dreadnought loss, claimed the victory - albeit a narrow one and some food for thought for their admiral.

The RoF had a game of two halves; couldn't hit anything for hours and suffered heavy small and medium losses, then in the second half, bagged some heavy points totals causing the FSA admiral to become very nervous - the RoF drifted towards the FSA lines and left the EotBS relatively untouched.

All in all, a good match - a close match and the gap between the FSA and the other nations seems that bit smaller today.

post-6817-0-31011300-1459951920_thumb.jp

The Initial setup - custom scenery made by my good self!

post-6817-0-91991800-1459951921_thumb.jp

FSA, RoF and EoTBS (my fleet) clash !

post-6817-0-13802400-1459951923_thumb.jp

Oddest bit of the match - a French Corvette attempts a ram on the Hachiman....it didn't go well.

Is the Eotbs list legal? it doesn't look very legal :lol:

Yeah list is legal, all within the % allocations. That's the only rule we tend to use when deploying, as the most common complaint we get with people (that want to take up Dwars) is that just setting up a game is a little too complex for them. A lot of guys just want a "plug and play" approach to having a game, without worrying about core, %, advanced, etc etc 

We also have house rules in place to speed it up a notch. Whether any of that will be in the new rules book I do not know ! Will be interesting to find out. 

Three ways are definitely rough, the French were getting it in the neck from two sides - but then they ran away from the Japanese and focused on the FSA ! ...and yes, I do prefer people to paint their models; but at the end of the day this is a hobby and don't want people fretting too much about it. I manage to do mine mostly when my family have gone to sleep...although late nights and painting don't lend well to each other at times. 

Do whatever you feel makes the game more fun.....

The list is illegal for naval core and illegal for air core.....

Personally, and again its only my honest opinion, i see very little point in wasting time playing a game and blatantly disregarding whatever rules didnt suit...but hey your having fun so thats fine.

think ill write up my rant posts about how OP the illustrious is because in 1 game it killed 800 points......of vanguard subs....who couldnt hurt it....because i brought an arial list to a naval game....oh so much fun was had by all .....sarcasm off

Do whatever you feel makes the game more fun.....

The list is illegal for naval core and illegal for air core.....

Personally, and again its only my honest opinion, i see very little point in wasting time playing a game and blatantly disregarding whatever rules didnt suit...but hey your having fun so thats fine.

think ill write up my rant posts about how OP the illustrious is because in 1 game it killed 800 points......of vanguard subs....who couldnt hurt it....because i brought an arial list to a naval game....oh so much fun was had by all .....sarcasm off

That's fine - we prefer to just have a game in the limited time we have per week at the club, rather than spend time fretting about the finer points of list building, which unless your are taking the mickey, doesn't matter too much anyway.  

If I dumped all the requirements, on a new player, on what they have to do just to start a match it would really put them off and they would go and play a more simplified system. I'm more focused on encouraging people into the game then creeping the rules in bit by bit - hopefully the new fast play rules will get things moving (pardon the pun) as I think Spartan have recognised the need to water the rules down to a degree and they are best placed to make the call on their rules etc

Anyway; thanks for your input :) 

That's fine - we prefer to just have a game in the limited time we have per week at the club, rather than spend time fretting about the finer points of list building, which unless your are taking the mickey, doesn't matter too much anyway.

If I dumped all the requirements, on a new player, on what they have to do just to start a match it would really put them off and they would go and play a more simplified system. I'm more focused on encouraging people into the game then creeping the rules in bit by bit - hopefully the new fast play rules will get things moving (pardon the pun) as I think Spartan have recognised the need to water the rules down to a degree and they are best placed to make the call on their rules etc

Anyway; thanks for your input :)

No i think playing with what models you have is fine for starter games just dont take it as gospel, sometimes you unintentionally teach bad habbits to new players which can have an effect later down the line.

I suppose it boils down to personal taste....im not interested in fast play rules in the slightest...i play DW to absorb several hours....sometimes think people come with somewhat unreal expectations when it comes to game time, even quicker games such as Guildball still take upwards of 2 hours and that inly uses 12 models in the game

That's what I usually do as well, start small and simple with maybe 50% of the rules, then slowly bringing in the full rules to bear once players are comfortable with their understanding. 

Yup, then we introduce new bits over time - smashing a new player with tons of rules from the off is perhaps the worst way to introduce a player to the system. If you were to play even a 500 point game and constantly stop it for every rule two things would happen; 1 they would not enjoy the game 1: they would not absorb the basic stuff and probably wouldn't play if again.

This weekend we have two new starters, so just focusing on moving, firing (with pre made naval surf lists) and a few bits more - then introduce the obscured and submerged height bands. then boarding etc etc 

You'd never catch RichoMack88 bringing an illegal list! Like that's *never* happened before...

To many fliers this time? Ruh roh!

Still, was one of the best matches yet. Packed to the rafters with good times, banter and double 1's.

You'd never catch RichoMack88 bringing an illegal list! Like that's *never* happened before...

To many fliers this time? Ruh roh!

Still, was one of the best matches yet. Packed to the rafters with good times, banter and double 1's.

Hah! Shush ya mush!