SMDVogrin

Adepticon 2016 summary

A couple of your games came to time Ryjak, did this seem to be the case across the floor? I seem to remember last year time didn't seem to be a factor. Do you think it was the missions, the MFV, or other factors (such as number of new ships)

I mostly think 2.5 hours isn't enough time for a 1000 point game. I don't think anyone played particularly slow; in fact, we were often quite liberal with movement to speed things up. I don't know how everyone's experience was though... Perhaps I was the slowest player there?

I can only post what I recall:

1st place to Shoal Commander Larry

2nd and 3rd: Stephen "Stoobert" and Dan "Afterimagedan" (not sure who placed where)

Best Painted: Andy "Ruckdog", Founder of Man Battle stations

Best Sport: Matt "Balor"

I posted my commentary on my website:

http://ops-center.weebly.com

I still need to add photos… Lots and lots of photos.

Your game 2 defeat, possibly due to reserves, illustrates something I've learned with my shunt bomb happy Terrans in a tournament setting. Just don't. If you must, no more than one squad and even then try to keep it to a squad of Missionaries (of similar excellent shunt bomb tier 3 choice).

Against my friends we like playing 1200+ points. We've been known to to go 2k, 2.5k and even 4k once and shunt bombing works great in those settings where we can play all day and if we don't finish, ef it, just leave it on my table and come back in a few days to finish. In 2.5 hours? Slow play, rules lookups, relatively new players and a myriad of other things conspire to keep those flanking Artemis and Marshals you NEED from making onto the table. I've yet to go to five turns in a tournament and even Perfect Timing doesn't fix reserves every time.

Not trying to tell you how you should have played after the fact, just an observation I've made. Maybe it'll help somebody in the future. Maybe I'll listen to my own advice.

I mostly think 2.5 hours isn't enough time for a 1000 point game. I don't think anyone played particularly slow; in fact, we were often quite liberal with movement to speed things up. I don't know how everyone's experience was though... Perhaps I was the slowest player there?

I can only post what I recall:

1st place to Shoal Commander Larry

2nd and 3rd: Stephen "Stoobert" and Dan "Afterimagedan" (not sure who placed where)

Best Painted: Andy "Ruckdog", Founder of Man Battle stations

Best Sport: Matt "Balor"

Dan was 2nd, Stoobert 3rd.  I ended up 4th due to a horrible, horrible beating by Larry ("Telarion", although I don't know if he posts here much/at all).

Most of my games ended up well before time - generally, I think there were only 2-3 games each round that were down to the wire out of 14 tables, but there could have been more that ended up saying "well, we don't have time for another round" that I didn't notice.  I think it mostly depends on both sides knowing their ships well - if you or your opponent always has to look up DR/CR or weapon dice pool, it definately slows things down.

I'm sure they'll be looking at time per round and points value again for next year - usually the Waygate runs a poll or something to see what everyone would prefer to see.  I know there were some comments in the aftermath that suggested going back to 900 points, and quite a few of the people seemed interested in maybe switching to a 2 day format.

Last year none of my games "went to time" but this year two did.  I think it has a lot to do with the player(s) more than the list size, although size is a factor.  Two skilled players who play fast will finish a game in 2-2.5 hours.  If one of you is new-ish or methodical in play style, you won't finish. 

Given a field of 25-32 players

1. 900pt

2. Three games first day "qualifier rounds"

3. Second day this is what happens:

a. top 8 players to the semi finals where they play 2 games in swiss rounds, after there will (should) be one 5-0 undefeated player, the winner.  2nd and 3rd are decided on Game Points

b. those who didn't qualify top 8 can still play day 2 in the tournament.  Their missions are the same, or possibly as a "storyline" or "kurak vs. zenian" or whatever.... or they are free to drop out

I have a report for the event up on the MBS blog!

In an addition to a summary of each round, there is a gallery at the end of the article with tons of pictures of all the fleets that were there. 

Additionally, the WayGate has the full rankings listed for those interested:

b. those who didn't qualify top 8 can still play day 2 in the tournament.  Their missions are the same, or possibly as a "storyline" or "kurak vs. zenian" or whatever.... or they are free to drop out

Maybe for an FLGS tournament, but that's kinda lame and elitist. Especially considering the cost expense of attending Adepticon for a game system that needs to attract more players.

I wasn't there but I heard that some players knew who they were going to play next before the previous round ended, giving them a chance to scope out their playstyle and that seems a shame. It seems like best sports just went to whoever placed last, I'm not sure that's accurate.

I also heard the missions were solid and most players knew what was going on, so that's a big plus.

I wasn't there but I heard that some players knew who they were going to play next before the previous round ended, giving them a chance to scope out their playstyle and that seems a shame. It seems like best sports just went to whoever placed last, I'm not sure that's accurate.

I also heard the missions were solid and most players knew what was going on, so that's a big plus.

I don't think anybody KNEW who they were going to play for sure (and believe me, I was trying to find out).  However, if you knew roughly where you were points wise, you could ask the other folks who had finished how they did and start putting together a mental picture of where everyone was in the standings, and thus who you were going to end up facing.  Mostly for rounds 3-4, after everyone had gotten their first couple of games sorted.

We announced the pairings right before the round and didn't tell anyone beforehand. Even though SMDVogrin did try nearly every round to find out ahead of time anyway, as he indicated above. However, it doesn't take much to get a rough idea if you're used to tournament formats. It was really up in the air on the last round where we basically had a nine-way tie for third place and first/second were only a hair above that mob. We really had no idea what the top three slots were going to look like until the dust settled. From a TO perspective, that is my favorite kind of final round.

The sportsmanship and player's choice were both given based on a voting system. Best painted was judged through an independent third party. Players on the bottom tables getting these awards was merely coincidental.

There goes my dreams of a Minbari/Aquan mix. I'm just not sold on some of the new aesthetics on Aquan, but like some.

I'm not sure if this is a strict Spartan model only site, so I don't want to offend.

When I saw that the Aquans took top 3, I sighed heavily. I have a habit of picking armies that are "very good". I chose cryx in warmachine before playing a single game watching a battlereport, etc. My saving grace is my only opponent at the time knows I'd been wanting an aquan fleet for over a year before I actually got them, and 3 months later, bam! Its a blessing, and a curse.