William Adama

Where to (re)start Planetfall!

Goodmorning,

after a long (and forced) absence , here I land again in this community! For a while we set aside FSA and with my gaming group we'll focus on PF, a wargame that I think is very fast, brutal and thrilling! Lot of questions on my mind so I start with the basics:

what is the right MFV to start playing PF? We are four players, we all have a double core helix and we are experiencing the new ORBATS at 1500 MFV just to learn the mechanincs. After 3 games, we feel this is a very limited MFV to see all the strenght of a faction but we don't want know to play on a very large scale just with only the core helix.

Thanks,

Adama.

Our club tends to play at 3500 points as it gives you that extra flexibility without going overboard, and still should allow you to finish in around 2- 2.5 hours. 

Upping it to 4k is also an option as that shouldnt extend the length of time to play too much, but will allow you to take more toys! 

We play mainly at 4k-5k with game of about 4-5 hours, including setup, eating pizza and cleaning. More point implies much longer games, and depending of the factions you play, longer movement phases, as there may be a lot of units on the table.

I ran demos at 1600 (couldn't quite make 1500 work) last weekend on a 4x4 table. That worked pretty well as an introduction. You could start at 2000 for a couple weeks and run an escalation league from there. That would give people time to learn the basics before being confronted with the hard stuff. 

We play mainly at 4k-5k with game of about 4-5 hours, including setup, eating pizza and cleaning. More point implies much longer games, and depending of the factions you play, longer movement phases, as there may be a lot of units on the table.

Yeah at 5k games vs Spartan Derek we normally end up around the 3-4 hour mark, partially because we are trying to discuss rules and units during the game (or I am complaining about my dice).

Our clubs aim is to get everyone playing enough that 4k is doable in a 2.5 hour tournament setup and that works for our club nights gaming of 6-9.

We tend to do 4K at our club: its large enough to include various options but small enough that you need to make sacrifices. 

We ran a tournament recently with a 2 hour time limit at that level and most games were finished around then.

I managed to do a 6k game in 3 hours, but we felt rushed towards the end to finish up in time. I'm looking at testing 4k and 4.5k, could be interesting to see what doesn't make the cut in a list of those sizes.