Sign in to follow this  
slimeball

Picking a 'core' force

No, what that also does is allow one opponent, or both to disallow the use of either the Armoured or Naval Core units within a land or sea game.

So if your opponent was feeling malicious enough he can force you to take an Air Core based list, because he doesn't have to agree to your use of an Armoured or Naval Core based list.

Since the rulebook apparently allows this kind of manipulation, your opponent wouldn't be breaking the rules, or the spirit of the game.

Hence, why I cant understand why such a stipulation would be in the rulebook in the first place. Aside from picking a Land or Sea game, the type of Core list you bring shouldn't matter.

If you wanted to bring an Armoured Core list to a land game, why should your opponent get a say in the matter?

If you wanted to bring a Naval Core list in a Land game, again why should your opponent get a say on the matter??

He shouldn't. That's the point.

Because the rules are written for all three theatres, and talking about which theatre is covered by talking about what core force youre allowed to bring.

This is not a difficult concept.

What Oml said.

I always think of the "want to play land or sea, or air core even"?....question representing in game terms the fact that nations send forces to combat other forces that they feel can win the day....or at least be useful.

No nation sends torpedo planes to combat invading armor, for example.

Merlin....man, sometimes you blow my mind with how you think. I never know if you are just trying to stir the pot in a devil's advocate manner, or it's just all totally serious and from the heart. I am sure you are a good guy, I just struggle with some of the extremes you bring to the conversation, and certainty with which you bring them. Almost a "

How can anyone not agreeing with me be so Ignorant?", sort of vibe.

To me this question seems so simple. If my opponent and I cannot even have a simple agreement on the core force, surely we will disagree on so many in game details as to make playing no fun at all......so cancel the game. This basic agreement is not an opportunity to force the other player against their will to manipulate the game.....it should be simply an organizational bit of bookkeeping when planning a game session.

Because my nearest opponent (apart from my daughter) is over 2 hours drive from where I live, we have to at least agree on a theatre of war beforehand. If one player turns up with a Naval force on an Armoured table (for example) that's 4 hours "wasted" travel time, not to mention fuel, food, etc for what would be a full day, or even weekend, trip.

So, agreement on at least whether you're bringing Armoured, or Naval forces with you is a definite necessity of the game

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/15013-1250-koda-vs-raj-l-the-hunt-for-hjalmar-stark/

Mixed core can actually be quite fun!

(Nb this was before the danes lost their ability to deploy aerial core... *shakes fist at ORBAT*

I usually double check both my and my opponent's list building maths with a spreadsheet just to ensure neither of us have strayed from the rules, but literally saying "fancy a naval 1500?" is that part of the rules covered.

The main reason I think for that rule is to incentivize collecting certain cores; back when the game was only dabbling with different types of armies and the rule was just never amended. As the models all receive updates more and more units will fare better/worse against either other-core-type. For instance right now a French Land Force probably won't do that bad against most other air cores, if only because of how air-focused some of their land choices are.

The issue comes that 9/10 videos on youtube are exclusively naval core lists; I may very well be the only Californian that even owns land models!