gr1mdan

Statistics Achieve Planetfall - New SG Blog

Sounds like April will be a very news full month - 16th for Salute so we can expect some big news after that (and if news is that close it wouldn't surprise me if there were not a few sneak-peeks at things during Salute itself -anyone going best have a camera ;)

Allied helixes coming out will be great.  Can't wait to see how Works Raptor works as a ground force based on the Recon Helix.  That said...any news on when the Syndicate fleet teased a while back is getting an FSA release?  I've been stuck with a couple of BC's and BB's forever, and would love to play the force in something that isn't 3/4 proxy.  Still, evil, evil Works Raptor in PF will give me new toys.

interested in the news about a new 2.0 version of then rules, wonder if its just a tightening up and clarification of the existing rules or a rewrite?

hoping its the former as trying to remember all the errata and clarifications can be a pain

Lil of both Mike. Tightening things up is #1 but we're also progressing the game forward a bit. Some examples I don't think I'll be crucified for:

Changes to make the game play faster, but add an extra turn or two to the avg game.

Universal MARs intoduced in helix releases moved to the main book, and a soft cap on the number of them. (Aka despite all the new ones not so bloody many to remember!)

Some MARs got tossed, I think 1-2 merged, and some changed... one particular weapon MAR is NASTY now that used to just be meh.

A few mechanism changes to balance out inherent force abilities that an ORBAT can't fix.

Basically if there was a credible forum post of an issue we looked into it, doesn't mean we could do anything for some issues though(yet). I think though Derek with our help is making a good game into an excellent game.

Lil of both Mike. Tightening things up is #1 but we're also progressing the game forward a bit. Some examples I don't think I'll be crucified for:

Changes to make the game play faster, but add an extra turn or two to the avg game.

Universal MARs intoduced in helix releases moved to the main book, and a soft cap on the number of them. (Aka despite all the new ones not so bloody many to remember!)

Some MARs got tossed, I think 1-2 merged, and some changed... one particular weapon MAR is NASTY now that used to just be meh.

A few mechanism changes to balance out inherent force abilities that an ORBAT can't fix.

Basically if there was a credible forum post of an issue we looked into it, doesn't mean we could do anything for some issues though(yet). I think though Derek with our help is making a good game into an excellent game.

Thanks for the update. The longer game length sounds good - one of the biggest problems with the game we've had is that most games never progress beyond turn two. This means alpha striking can have a decided effect on the results of most games.

Do you have any time frame on when the new version of the rules will be released? Are we talking a month or a good 6-12 months?

I really don't think PF needs changing in the way of rules.  It is already an excellent game and I think there is lot of tactical room already within the game and huge variety of units. Game length is good, I would not want it any longer and it is great that in turn 1 you get to start blasting models off the table.  And I don't mind all the MARs - I think that is the spice in the game making the units unique.  All I can imagine a 2.0 being is fixing of typos and errata to be honest. 

To clarify:

The game length (time) is about the same, the game length (turns) is longer in 2.0. A major complaint in 1.5 was, as Balteth stated, the limited number of turns in a majority of standard games. Where you had 2-3 turns before, you'll now have 4+. However the time to play a game has remained steady, mostly by removing or changing rules that had more effect on time than tactics (ex.lumbering). The feel of the game with all it's carnage hasn't gone, but you'll get 1 or 2 more turns before zero hour so even if you lose you'll have actually done more and feel so. There's alot more back and forth struggle in 2.0, closer games and less that can be called turn 1.

With the MARs, most of it is consolidation. The two aerials, leviathan/assault, and field support all added a MAR each that was universal. These MARs were moved to the rulebook to slim down the ORBATs and cut down on errors by putting the rule in one place rather than 12. The soft cap on number is about how many we have now; and is merely in place to prevent versions 3.0-8.0+ from having 30 pages of MARs and prevent the introduction of silly of frivolous MARs. Most of the unique MARs found only on a couple models will remain in the ORBATs.

There are a few wholly new elements being added to the game many of which do a great bit of adding tension while plugging a hole or two from 1.5. There are also a number of rule changes that were made to address some fundamental balance issues with the rules, clean up the table, and generally streamline things. The majority of these changes would not be possible in an FAQ.

If I had to give a broad statement about 2.0 it would be this. If your store/club has players that sidelined PF for balance, rule vagueness, alpha striking, or difficulty working into a competitive format then this version should bring them back into the fold.

Please, please tell me you guys did something about placed shots.  That rule needs to be on certain models only (TDs?), not every model available.  It makes non-interceptor fire too good against air, non-AP fire too good against infantry, etc.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, there needs to be a rule for Aerial squadrons that they can only be engaged in CQB if they initiate or if initiated from another air unit.  It makes zero sense that an airplane is easier to hit with hand-to-hand from a sweeper team than with high-powered guns from a gun team, for example.  Just something that my play group has found to be odd and offputting in the current rules set.

Grimdan is right, placed shots have been made... lets say, less common in 2.0. There has also been alot of talk and combing over the aerials rules and mechanics.

Good. some love to Aerials would be great a few tweaks to make interceptors the bees knees at hunting any other aircraft would be great at the moment there are plenty of other options the best being CQB :( or placed shots.

Small interceptors squadrons in the Core Helix...........