Sign in to follow this  
Forest

What does the Iapetus Do?

So I'm curious what folks think the role the Iapetus robots will fill?  The don't sky drop.  They look tough, coil launcher will be handy against infantry.  But what will their job be on the battlefield (besides looking cool)?

Ahhhh, I see what they are for now - they are distractions for the underwhelming-looking Hades tanks.  Same price as Eris, same power weapons, but have difficult target (-1) and a medium with Take & Hold.  Now that sounds very interesting.  With the Iapetus on the table no one will pay attention to what those sneaky modest looking tanks are doing. 

Not sure if sarcasm or not ;-)

The Hades are a pain in the arse to get rid of to be honest - it will take some dedicated firepower to shift them.

On the flip side - the Iapetus can easily hold their own. Sometimes you just have to "flat out".

I use the Iapetus like linebackers that block APCs from moving through efficient routes. To me, the Iapetus are best at being canopeners. If they can hit a model with embarked infantry, the pair of them have a great chance of not only destroying the transport but having carryover damage hit the squad inside. After the infantry are forcefully disembarked from their ride, hit them with the AP weapons the Iapetus bots are packing. Odds are great that you'll have wiped out two activations worth of the opponent's units with only a single of yours. I've pulled this manuever off twice now, and it was deliciously sweet each time.

Regardless, if you are going to field these guys, you have to get them into the area where your opponent is trying to go. Otherwise they are just paperweights.

On 14/03/2017 at 11:13 AM, Grayghost said:

Very interesting reading, about performances. I'm somehow disappointed about the lack of sky drop. 

Especially since the Hyperion can sky drop. It makes no sense that the Iapetus can't. 

On 23/10/2016 at 6:08 AM, Spellduckwrong said:

I use the Iapetus like linebackers that block APCs from moving through efficient routes. To me, the Iapetus are best at being canopeners. If they can hit a model with embarked infantry, the pair of them have a great chance of not only destroying the transport but having carryover damage hit the squad inside. After the infantry are forcefully disembarked from their ride, hit them with the AP weapons the Iapetus bots are packing. Odds are great that you'll have wiped out two activations worth of the opponent's units with only a single of yours. I've pulled this manuever off twice now, and it was deliciously sweet each time.

Regardless, if you are going to field these guys, you have to get them into the area where your opponent is trying to go. Otherwise they are just paperweights.

A great advice. I was wondering if the guys could be effective against Weydreth recce too, those things are quite annoyng.

Looks like the Iapetus will finally see the table if that Sky Drop thing and the DR boost are confirmed! :) 

2 Iapetus falling from the sky directly over the head of the enemy is a pleasant vision to me...