Sign in to follow this  
UniversalHead

Opposed tactics test - crystal nodes - building cover

A few questions after our first two games of Planetfall this weekend:

1. The opposed tactics test: do you add your tactical bonus to each die? The system seems to result in a lot of re-rolls.

2. Aquan crystal nodes: I may be doing something wrong but they don't seem of much use. If you have to fire at one and it stores the hits, then it fires again, don't you have two opportunities there to miss/lose potential hits? In other words, even with their capacity to increase your range, they're not very useful?

3. Cover saves - I assume each infantry stand takes a save?

Enjoyed the game. It took us a while to get the hang of how hits were assigned and shields rolled, but once we did I was quite impressed with the system.

The first scenario in the Starter Set is a waste of book space, and then it jumps to a quite complex scenario, with drop sites etc, in the second one. Strange decision.

Good game though, I'm going to get some more minis!

A few questions after our first two games of Planetfall this weekend:

1. The opposed tactics test: do you add your tactical bonus to each die? The system seems to result in a lot of re-rolls.

2. Aquan crystal nodes: I may be doing something wrong but they don't seem of much use. If you have to fire at one and it stores the hits, then it fires again, don't you have two opportunities there to miss/lose potential hits? In other words, even with their capacity to increase your range, they're not very useful?

3. Cover saves - I assume each infantry stand takes a save?

Enjoyed the game. It took us a while to get the hang of how hits were assigned and shields rolled, but once we did I was quite impressed with the system.

The first scenario in the Starter Set is a waste of book space, and then it jumps to a quite complex scenario, with drop sites etc, in the second one. Strange decision.

Good game though, I'm going to get some more minis!

Gonna try and answer these as best I can:

1. Tactical bonus is added to the final roll. So a total of 10 with a +2 tactical bonus gives you 12.

2. Aquan crystals always fire in effective range, ignoring the benefit of hover, and can shoot around corners or into flanking arcs. With certain models (the Aquan GC), they may even improve your shot.

3. Cover saves work like shield saves, only based that would be killed/damaged get to add their dice to the save.

Hi U.H.

1. No. You do have the option of bidding with a logistic point after rolling to beat ties.

2. The Aquan crystals have the potential to give you flanking or rear shots as you shoot around terrain. Pro tip: if you get placed shots you have the opportunity to gain more AD from the crystal shooting than the unit you shot the crystal with. You still get exploding 6s...

3. Yes

Gonna try and answer these as best I can:

1. Tactical bonus is added to the final roll. So a total of 10 with a +2 tactical bonus gives you 12.

2. Aquan crystals always fire in effective range, ignoring the benefit of hover, and can shoot around corners or into flanking arcs. With certain models (the Aquan GC), they may even improve your shot.

3. Cover saves work like shield saves, only based that would be killed/damaged get to add their dice to the save.

Damn, go away for 5 mins while in the middle of my post and someone beats me to it :P

I think the Crystals have been covered off here, but they can be devastating with placed shots onto them, and thats without a Malani giving you placed shots out of them. 

You can also use them to block LoS as they are armoured which is interesting in tight firing lanes.

Flank and Rear shot worries tend to me people worry them and will kill them if they get the chance to prevent it.

They are amazing activation wasters, so if you want the enemy to have to move a unit (so you can get a flank shot or something in range of it). Or more likely so you dont have to poke a unit out of cover until nothing can shoot at it. 

For 30 points and no TV, they are unbelievably useful and I tend to always try to take one or two, although on my currently posted list for Aquans I dont have any, that is not the norm!

All questions answered, thankyou everyone!

The opposed tactics test is poorly worded in the rules. The rules say a 'basic dice' mechanic is a roll of 6 means 1 success. Then it says an opposed tactics test is 2D6 dice using the basic dice mechanic, and there's no mention of totalling the results. So the obvious inference is that you roll 2D6 and each 6 is 1 success.

All questions answered, thankyou everyone!

The opposed tactics test is poorly worded in the rules. The rules say a 'basic dice' mechanic is a roll of 6 means 1 success. Then it says an opposed tactics test is 2D6 dice using the basic dice mechanic, and there's no mention of totalling the results. So the obvious inference is that you roll 2D6 and each 6 is 1 success.

Its poorly worded, I agree, but basically how it works is this:

An Opposed Tactics Test is an XD6 roll using TWO D6s. You then total up the score and add your Tactical bonus and any other modifiers (e.g from TACs, logistic points).

So, some of the wording you guys are using about the crystals worries me..

Aquan crystals always fire in effective range, ignoring the benefit of hover, and can shoot around corners or into flanking arcs. With certain models (the Aquan GC), they may even improve your shot.

Considering the only range on the Crystal is ER, that statement is misleading. Any attack from any unit at ER ignores Hover.  Also, the crystal can't shoot around corners, it uses LOS like any other unit.  All the crystal does is allow a unit to bounce their attack off of it.

if you get placed shots you have the opportunity to gain more AD from the crystal shooting than the unit you shot the crystal with.

Odds are, you'd have to roll really lucky to out roll the initial shot.  You can lose a lot of damage potential using the Crystal, and you also lose all Weapon MARs your initial shot owned.

Sorry, we're paraphrasing to save time:

The crystal doesn't shoot round corners, but it allows you to shoot a unit around a corner, by targeting the crystal and the crystal "bouncing" shots into the flank/rear of another unit. 

Untitled.png?dl=0

I've found an a number of occasions, with placed shots, the amount of AD coming out of the crystal is more than what goes in.