Sign in to follow this  
Forest

carnage table = alpha strike?

We just played our first tester game tonight - a minimum size recon fleet.  It felt very alpha strike - that is whoever got the first big hit wins.  But I wonder if that as an artifact of us using the carnage table.

Sometimes you get the Alpha Strike, sometimes you don't. It's exactly how X-Wing feels to be honest sometimes. However you'll see a huge difference when the game scales up a little bit and you have access to more ships and what not :)

Most war games can have a nasty alpha strike feel if you end up on the wrong end of it but you can definitely come back. I have done it plenty of times.

We just played our first tester game tonight - a minimum size recon fleet.  It felt very alpha strike - that is whoever got the first big hit wins.  But I wonder if that as an artifact of us using the carnage table.

I think it is caused more by the small amount of ships/squadrons rather than the Carnage table. The standard table is not very different as far as the results go.

Yeah, even without the Carnage table in my games I've found the impact of losing a few ships is huge with just the starters. Rapidly descending to a game of yahtzee where you can only hurt stuff if you roll multiple sixes. That could just be a quirk of the higher DR of the Aquan ships though.