We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Kraggi

3500 points of Aquans

So after the challenge (and fun) of building a 3500 point Directorate list, I thought it was worth posting something up for the Aquans.

The challenge here is that the Directorate are around about the second cheapest faction (in points) compared to the Aquans, so you do get noticeably less on the table with the Aquans.

I dont think that this makes them inherently bad, but it does make list building entertaining. 

Our club is hosting a tournament at 3500 points in the next few weeks, and we have found that 3500 points is a nice point size to play through with time to spare in a 3 hour club night.

We hope that the more games everyone gets under their belts the faster we will get to 4,000 point games in those same three hours. 

Anyway, enough rambling, 3500 points....

Core:

Sedna x 2

Lamana x 3

Lamana x 3

Stingray x 2

Stingray x 2

Imzani x 3

Imzani x 3

Khitari x 3, Gun Team x 3

SirSir (attached to a Lamana Squadron)

Aerial:

Kalari x 2

Recon:

Marana x 4

Khitari x 6, Sweeper Team x 3

Larata x 1

Khitari x 3, Gun Teams x 3

Larata x 1

Unlike my Directorate force, this guys rock around with a fair amount of Interceptor units (Stingrays, Marana's), and also has some nice Dice pools from the rest of my force.

Take and Hold I am running around with six units capable of taking the Objectives which gives lots of redundancy, well two units of redundancy given the four objectives on the table top. 

I could have reduced my core to save points for extra things outwith it (like a Haumea & Locatu's) but actually really like the size of the Core Helix where it is, and think this is the go to list for me, at least until the Assault Helixes get here and I get my hands on those models... mwhahahahaha.

Anyway, any thoughts?

I'm wondering a bit about the reduced size Imzanis; are you planning to use them only for T&H?

True. In my experience they are always better in a squad of 4 unless you're just keeping them as rear guard

Yeah would have cut out one of the Lamana squadrons to squeeze a heavy support tank in.

They have a more reliable damage output.

LOL yeah that first moment Zeph used his Aquan Lamana and had his 'oooohh..... righttt' moment which all Aquan players go through.

The Lamana are a good blocking unit, surprisingly hard to kill off and can block line of sight to the more 'valuable' armored assets. BUT will rarely do much damage.

The Heavy Support Tank might be more vulnerable (which is why i like to add a Sirsir support tank) but it has much more reliable, and flexible, firepower. After all, the best way to survive the enemies attack is to kill them before they get to make it. 

On the issue of our Imzani.... Taking more squadrons of 3, over fewer squadrons of 4 makes for a generally more flexible force, giving more take and hold units and giving you a wider field of anti-infantry cover.  a squadron of 4 isn't much harder to kill than a squadron of 3, and the extra TV the enemy gains can tip the scales. If you want to use Imzani offencively, then the 20 AD a full squadron brings is pretty heavy hitting, but because of the short range you will almost always loose the unit in the returning fire as no one will let a hard hitting T&H unit escape unscathed. 

My plan is to use them as t&h, and potentially flanking where possible.

Until recently i have always used them in squads of 4, but at 3500 points you have to look to trim the fat wherever you can.

Admittedly this list will work well if you dropped a Lamana Squadron and put in a Haumea and added a SirSir to the Haumea. However keeping a SirSir in the main core that would mean i need to find 390 points as the Lamana's are only 360, and that 30 points means trimming something else. 

If i were to drop the Lamana Squadron and transfer a SirSir out of the Core into the Heavy I would technically gain 80 points spare. 

Those 80 points could boost one of those Imzani's to 4 instead of three, with a 15 points left over which can't really do much (maybe an officer for the Sweeper Teams in the Recon Helix.

The final Option that is moving back to the list I originally looked at would be to drop the Kalari entirely, use those points to Haumea in the heavy helix, leaving me with 220 spare ,that can then boost both Imzani's to 4 and still leave me with 90 points to play with. Which would allow me to flesh out the second recon unit to 6 troops. 

Love building lists to 3500 points... so much wheeling and dealing! 

LOL yeah that first moment Zeph used his Aquan Lamana and had his 'oooohh..... righttt' moment which all Aquan players go through.

The Lamana are a good blocking unit, surprisingly hard to kill off and can block line of sight to the more 'valuable' armored assets. BUT will rarely do much damage.

Totally missed this when I responded this morning Aunshi, apologies. I agree that of all the Medium tanks they can appear the weakest, but I have found that they can pour out a decent amount of firepower.

Spartan Derek doesn't particularly appreciate seeing my Lamana's lining up against him. The key is getting the best use out of the hit and run, or a layered approach of continually moving another armoured unit in front, in essence offering up a sacrifical unit to take the shots before hitting and running back out of danger. 

Just to point out, with the immanent release of the assault helix, you might want to refocus some of those points elsewhere. I think the recon and assault are going to work very well together. Although I'm a big fan of the Aquan Gunships, the assault bots might perform better in object play... Or at least be a better bullet magnet. 

Just to point out, with the immanent release of the assault helix, you might want to refocus some of those points elsewhere. I think the recon and assault are going to work very well together. Although I'm a big fan of the Aquan Gunships, the assault bots might perform better in object play... Or at least be a better bullet magnet. 

I have a 3500 point list written that includes some Assault Helix stuff...  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

The advantage of being a Beta tester :-)

However I am pretty sure if I had posted that list Spartan might have slapped me on the wrists... maybe. 

Rest Assured I will let you all set it as soon as the new Orbats are available though. 

Not to be all negative about the current endeviour, but i'm personally holding off on any list writting until the new orbat updates are released. 

BUT.... continuing the discussion on the Lamana.... I do argue that Lamana are probably the best unit to use with crystals, since loosing pinpoint 1 doesn't matter too much, and like i said, they make for a good blocking unit, being able to fire before moving into a protective blocking formation. But with their expense, and so many other options, I can't see a good enough excuse to take 2 squardons, not when we have so many other options. 

Also, i'd personally prefer to attach that Sirsir currently on a Lmana squadron to the Heavy Tank Squadron, since they tend to be a more valuable asset. 

Also, i'd personally prefer to attach that Sirsir currently on a Lmana squadron to the Heavy Tank Squadron, since they tend to be a more valuable asset. 

Yeah that is one that I am always a little flexible on, its all about balancing the TV though. Lamanas rock in at around 8 TV with the SirSir vs the Sedna's at 10TV.

The Sednas are already a priority target, and with a SirSir are nearly a third of the points in a 3500 point game that are required to win. The SirSir might add to their survivability, but also adds to the value of killing them.

Personally i think you will love the Assault Helixes, and I have a list where I have used two in 3500 points... just to see what happened, I might post that once the Orbats are up. 

Need to revisit this with the V6 changes, but just at first glance, the list points total drops from 3500 down to 3390! Woot Woot! 

Now time to dig out that list with the Assault helix mwhahahahaha

Hi Mazin, looks like the way I wrote this list hasn't come across as intended. 

I always write my lists as Unit Name x Number of Bases / Models in the unit - Unit Upgrades x Number of said upgrades.

So in this case I have 6 bases of Khitari, three of which are sweeper teams which brings me upto a required transport capacity of 9, and the Larata has 10. 

Apologies for any confusion, I also really need to look at this list again with the V6 Orbats now being out! 

Drop a Stingray battery, take a Heavy Support Tank? I always try to take one if i can find the points, one of our most cost effective units in my opinion, with the exception of the Interceptor Gunship (which is the same thing for 50 points less) but you have aerial and recon already. 

OR Drop a Lamana Squadron for the Medium Ground Attack Gunships. Even with the firepower boost to the Lamana, I still prefer the speed, flexibility and Skydoppiness of the Gunships. The Gunships have better short ranged firepower, more CQB, and bring a scatter weapon to the table to hunt down light vehicles, while still retaining the pinpoint 1 of the Lamana. Also, they now only cost 5 points more than a Lamana!

I still think your list may lack some serious Anti-Air firepower though, especially since Ground Attack is now cheaper across the board.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.