durnekell2k

Eagle Class War Rotor, how useful now?

Devastating and High Payload are potentially the most powerful munitions in the game.  Devastating has been spammed too many times as it is.

If you want to turn it into an actual gunship then switching them over to the Monarchs Heavy turrets would be a start.  Adding Aerial Hunter would be enough to seal the deal.

While I agree with Veld on the devastating front, it would not be too far out of place to give it devastating being kob, the hood got devastating and while that makes it ok its certainly not op :)

Even with devastating, if allies rules are in play I would still take an allied Tunguska and korsors :D

Kazimovs :P, thou we all want korsors :lol:

Edited by Presidente

So given the limitations of the model, more weapons can't be added. What about adding devastating munitions like they did with the Lord Hood and the Halifax? Or would that then tread on the toes of the Hood itself?

Well, You could add torpedos. I think torpedo tubes do not have to be visible. FC 0-10-8-6 would be viable. I like the idea of Monarch heavy turrets more, but those are already too weak on the Monarch (I supposed to add +1 AD on RB2 of the heavy turrets in the other thread).

The Aussy one used to have devastating. it ok but nothing fantastic. it still had the same issues.

giving it a fixed torpedo would also make positioning it very wonky (well its a brit thing right? :P)

Its not going to get torps as it doesn't have the weapon mounting for them, rockets on the other hand, and its not like they cant be bought from the fsa :) 

But on a more doable note, the illustrious and eagle could do with a tesla generator, the kob did invent the thing after all, maybe even give them a special rule to be able to drop bombs and mines B)

Its not going to get torps as it doesn't have the weapon mounting for them, rockets on the other hand, and its not like they cant be bought from the fsa :)

But on a more doable note, the illustrious and eagle could do with a tesla generator, the kob did invent the thing after all, maybe even give them a special rule to be able to drop bombs and mines B)

The FSA's A17 doesn't have torpedo tubes, either. That doesn't mean that the Eagle's bomb racks can't be torpedoes instead.

I still think that the Eagle is meant to be a support craft, providing shield cover for smaller vessels, and setting minefields, with the aid of the Hawks

The FSA's A17 doesn't have torpedo tubes, either. That doesn't mean that the Eagle's bomb racks can't be torpedoes instead.

I still think that the Eagle is meant to be a support craft, providing shield cover for smaller vessels, and setting minefields, with the aid of the Hawks

which in the current meta of the game might as well be useless...........

There is room for a useful support vessel in any fleet. Firepower certainly is not everything.

So if its purpose is shield support and mines, lets allow it to do them well enough to be useful. Bump it to a guardian (2) protective 2 shield, to give decent protection. Give it a speed boost up to 10 inches to allow it to be in position for mining areas in turn 2 with added benefit of having that nice guardian bubble move up with the smalls that need it.

Finally, give it a pulse generator.

At that point I could see the eagle being a useful addition to the fleet, in all theatres.

Problems? Well, such a high speed is uncharacteristic of a large vessel, however the kob air force is fluffed as being speedy. The hood is uncharacteristically fast for a battle cruiser, so there is precedent for speed in the kob. Kinetic gen American large vessels can go faster. Alternatively have the Eagle speed be 8" and give it advance engines, so there is a choice between uncanny speed and that lovely 360 degree move.

For the illustrious, I would make it carrier 9 (as suggested by level9red) and incorporate the shield into the vessel cost. The illustrious is not a mining vessel, the pulse gen is useless on it and should be given to the eagle.

The Illustrious is pretty much redundant to my fleet - not enough carrier points, not enough firepower. Nice model though.

It does need a carrier 9 rating (the EotBS needs one too!!!!) and, in my humblest opinion, double up as a repair vessel. Its not meant for front line action, but its stats and abilities (current) mean its down the pecking order on support too

Had a lovely 1200 point game with my brave Britannians facing off against a carrier heavy Prussian list. the piercing ammo on the Eagle is a useful little tool on the lead up but it is the bomb bays that really shine on this little beauty. for a fleet that (in my opinion) is better sticking to range band 2 and 3, this lovely beast of a vessel doesn't mind getting close and brawling. the defensive MARs are lovely, but the combo of preventing RB1 firing from a lot of weapons by being flying, and the 3x6/ 1x12 concentrated bombing meant that it hammered into the Prussian ships - it managed a single critical to finish off one carrier, and then a double critical with guns and bombs having come down from the clouds on a Metzger. 

I realise it doesn't match the battleships for sheer firepower but i think it is a jolly useful piece of kit,and i will certainly take it again.  

4 minutes ago, Lifegiver said:

You seem to have had luck with the dice. Prussia has enough stuff that easily kills an Eagle, for example Gewitterwolke, Pflicht, Jäger and SAW fighters.

Mind you, most air is pretty good at killing other air. Other examples include Halifax, Hasta, Pilums, Hyperbius, Adler... Well, maybe not the daedalus, hue.

I think it was less luck with the dice and more the Opponent still finding his feet with list building... but even so I enjoyed it, and would certainly fly it again. The bombs are brilliant though. Concentrated bombing is my new favourite thing. Of course, now I am putting the finishing touches to a pair of Halifax Bombers i will probably love them even more!

Just to go back to the Eagle topic: I think the key problem is that the Eagle has nothing that really scares the opponent, so that it simply gets ignored without getting back its points. I recently made some test games with an Eagle guardian generator improved to Majesty and Royal Oak level, i.e. internal guardian generator (2, 12", protective=2). Once of a sudden it became a good support centerpiece model, annoying the hell out of my opponents and forcing them to deal with it. I still lost the games, though, but not due to taking an Eagle^^. It was the first time the Eagle felt to be worth 150 points for me. I think this little change is the way to go. Playtesters, try this.