durnekell2k

Eagle Class War Rotor, how useful now?

I like the idea of having the same turret AD but giving them different MARs. I think the Eagle turrets should get hunter (surface) in addition to piercing. This would add many tactical options without increasing its AD. You could stay obscured and still hit on 4+ or go down and hunt small targets. This also fits to the model having turrets pointing downwards.

The illustrious and eagle have always been rubbish, they are less rubbish than they were, but compare them to the top hitters such as the Tunguska, imperium, retribution, tourbillion and so on, then they are at the bottom of the pile, so clearly no one cares about making them decent, and there might not be enough feedback on them from games, because a lot of people wont take subpar units on paper to the table top, thus they never or hardly get play tested.

They both need more ranged firepower, not more bombs and mines, which they are too slow to use, and the illustrious certainly shouldn't have to pay for shields :)

and who really cares about their cc, no one makes the selection based upon the cc, ooo that airship has 8 cc and the skyfort has none...oh I still took the skyfort :P:D:lol:

Give it hunter Aerial 8" +1 (naval models, primary turrets). This is something brits lack. Due to torps natural weakness vs flyers, this makes sense and give the eagle a nice niche. Remove mines and add 1 AD to each turret. So easy.

I've played with the Illustrious a bit, not with the eagle, and I like it, or at least like it's potential. It feels like there are a variety of different ways that it could be taken. Either way including the shield upgrade in it's base cost would be a good start, the fact that the shield upgrade went up by 5 points in the update just puzzled me. I also struggle with it's mines, in many ways I'd rather loose them and gain extra dice on the bomb bays, similar to the Aussie "eagle".

In terms of other upgrades it could have carrier 9 as standard, providing a cheaper "fleet carrier" than the avenger.

Or in the vein of the previous post some interesting rules, or a generator like a target painter with a decent range...

The eagle and the illustrious could have variations on a theme, so some standard kit/stats and then differences that give each of them a role. But it feels like both of them without longer range abilities are going to hamstrung by their relatively lowish movement. Maybe advanced engines? You sacrifice flexibility for faster movement?

Anyway, enough rambling.

Here I was hoping for something enlightening and game changing.

While Aerial hunter has been mentioned as a possibility in numerous threads the designers have not gone in that direction.  Going so far as give it Combat Coordinator (Hunter Aerial) is not really needed. 

Dropping the mines is uncalled for as they are a situational weapon on a model this slow and not able to be advanced deployed.

Honestly I don't think the turrets need a boost in AD.  The combination of Piercing and Hunter would be enough to give it a purpose.  Just adding 1 AD to the turrets is not much of an improvement at all.  With the linking rules rounding up it would usually still be just +1 AD when linking both turrets.

Yep, so easy.

Ya, the +1 AD should be a minor buff, and a further seperation from the illustrious. Nobody wants a stand alone, i can kill everything on my own, hachiman :o . Or give em a completely new fancy gen. This is also something Brits totally lack. There are so many ways, if designer had the intention to....

Edit: Maybe a Gen that prevents enemy movement, so Brits can stay in their prefered RBII range and offers some kind of anti boarding possibility....

Honestly would rather the thing have a bit more movement.

would help to keep up with the other rotors in the prince squadron or raptor squad

allowing them to run around and bomb things, actually making them a threat.

maybe advanced engines.

would also differentiate it from the illustrious as a forward spear head over a back side carrier.

the AD is a little weaksause on both of them though. would love to see a little buff.

i dont think it needs any special gens. there isnt really any precedence for giving them that.

Its also a medium, not a large and doesnt have 360 movement.

and as to every nation getting fancy gens. they really shouldn't.

if anything brits should get some buff shield gens as thats what they focus on anyway.

maybe target painters.

Large air fortresses are generally going to be slow.  7" is already top of the range for this class without counting Tesla gens.

Options for improving the Eagle: combined from many threads

1.  Ability to take a second generator: Torpedo painter or Pulse Gen.  The first gen is useful on a support flyer and second is useful with Danes and possibly more Ottomans running around.  It would separate it from the Illustrious which is forced to choice pulse or shield at the cost of carrier ability.

2.  Just switch the turrets over to the Monarchs heavy turrets.  The model will forever be limited by just having two turrets (and no broadsides) - make them kinda useful.

3.  Aerial Hunter - preferably combined with above.

4.  More boarding potential/defenses.

That is kinda it and even #4 is pushing the not-really-Britannia feel.  The change to 360 movement did help things.  The mines can be used sometimes as opposed to never.  It can retreat nearly a range band whenever it wants.  It just needs something to separate it from the Eagle+flight deck that is the Illustrious. 

Side note:  I would not expect any generators to be added to the rules this edition.  Wishing for fancy new generators is a waste of your time.

Well to be honest, a target painter is already on the vengeance, and it sees little to no play. And if it is in range i dont manage to roll a 4+ and cant shoot the torps. Complete fail design. The Eagle is a flyer and is therefore not limited to the fixed arcs. However this would mean the use is still limited as ur ships wanna be RBII - III, the eagle however is kinda exposed when flying into the enemy fleet on his own. The Pulse Gen is too situational for my taste. Im not a fan of making the eagle a boarding thing... It doesnt fit the Brit style. It will probably still retain a worthless ship :(

Then it would still be used for the only purpose I do now, a flying brick of a safehouse for the commodore.  Which is a bad use for it but I love the model and hate the Illustrious.

Making it 10-20 points cheaper still means it is a toothless large whose only decent support ability is the guardian generator.  Not good enough - a Danish Fafnir would still be cheaper, better firepower, and carrier 4.