durnekell2k

Eagle Class War Rotor, how useful now?

The Eagle is below average concering its points cost. It can do many things for the fleet in theory, but 150 points for a supporter is just too much. Given the Illustrious is also overpriced, there seems to to be some twisted type of in faction balance though. Seriously, both should be 10 points cheaper. I always prefer the Halifax over the Eagle.

tbh once you hit the ~800 points mark I'd consider taking it as it's tanky as all hell and with the 360 degree movement it is one of the more maneuverable units in the game. It's firepower is, as most have said, far below standard considering its point cost. As a support vessel and late game brawler I think it does relatively well, however.

As someone here said, park your commodore on it and it'll be pretty hard to touch, especially when you obscure it.

Well, being a carrier is a reason to take the Illustrious at least. For the Eagle, I just do not see the point in taking it, there is just no reason to spend 150 points on. I theory, the guardian generator is nice, but in fact most KoB units already have shields and small models are so fast that they leave the guardian bubble very fast. If I need a lage airship for fleet building purposes and a commodore vessel, I take a single Illustrious just because it is a carrier. Then I spend all the other points on medium and small air units or on naval units.

Ten points wouldn't be good enough, I'm not sure it can be fixed with point adjustments, it needs greater firepower/speed :) I'm sure it makes a nice paperweight :P

Maybe 10 points cheaper and +1 speed is the way to go. Another idea is improving its crappy mines to 3x5. I really wonder why the Eagle mines are weaker than the Illustrious ones. At the moment, the Eagle is best used as a proxy of a Gewitterwolke. The Illustrious should include a shield generator for 150 points.

well in 500 pts, the eagle shines like a brilliant sun.. it took a few hits, but was far more effective as a bomber then a gunship. I got to bomb the living snot out of two ika squids... by the end, it was left and unavailable by anything my foe had left.

Well, You must have been very lucky. The weak Eagle bombs hardly reach the rugged construction CR 9 of an Ika. If the Ika is submerged, You have a hard time in even reaching the DR. Having 30% of Your points in a very low damage output model should give You trouble when the opponent gets the kill all smalls or kill all mediums fleet order. What was Your list? 350 points left hardly fill the fleet construction rules.

Well, You must have been very lucky. The weak Eagle bombs hardly reach the rugged construction CR 9 of an Ika. If the Ika is submerged, You have a hard time in even reaching the DR. Having 30% of Your points in a very low damage output model should give You trouble when the opponent gets the kill all smalls or kill all mediums fleet order. What was Your list? 350 points left hardly fill the fleet construction rules.

How is an 8AD magnetic mine weak? Mines ignore Rugged Construction, and still use full AD against submerged. If you take the special squadron, bump that up to 13AD.

Sure, you cannot "move" a linked mine, without it detonating, but that's the whole point

Well, You must have been very lucky. The weak Eagle bombs hardly reach the rugged construction CR 9 of an Ika. If the Ika is submerged, You have a hard time in even reaching the DR. Having 30% of Your points in a very low damage output model should give You trouble when the opponent gets the kill all smalls or kill all mediums fleet order. What was Your list? 350 points left hardly fill the fleet construction rules.

I did a crit with some insanely lucky dice rolls.. he got a double 1 on the Table Of Woe (critical  hit table) the rest speaks for it self.  as for the list, I'll dig them both up and post. 

MY friends list is:

Faction: EoBS - Empire of the Blazing Sun
MFV: 505 - Core: Naval
Fleet Value: 505 (0 left)

Massive/Large: 210 (42%)
Medium: 235 (47%)
Small: 60 (12%)
Tiny: 0 (0%)

Naval: 85%
Aerial: 15%
Armoured: 0%
Fortifications: 0%
Infantry: 0%

Fleet: 
1x Ika Mechanical Squid (Diving Robot) - Nav. Large - 105 - 1/1
1x Ika Mechanical Squid (Diving Robot) - Nav. Large - 105 - 1/1
1x Yûrei (Terror Ship) - Nav. Medium - 160 - 1/1
3x Zarigani Mechanical Squid (Small Naval Robot) - Nav. Small - 60 - 3/5
1x Onryo (Support Gyro) - Aer. Medium - 75 - 1/3
Onryo | Add EG Sonic (8") - Aer. Medium - 0

My list was:

Faction: KoB - Kingdom of Britannia
MFV: 505 - Core: Naval
Fleet Value: 505 (0 left)

Massive/Large: 150 (30%)
Medium: 355 (70%)
Small: 0 (0%)
Tiny: 0 (0%)

Naval: 70%
Aerial: 30%
Armoured: 0%
Fortifications: 0%
Infantry: 0%

Fleet: 
1x Lord Hood (Battle Cruiser) - Nav. Medium - 115 - 1/1
1x Eagle (War Rotor) - Aer. Large - 150 - 1/1
2x Vanguard (Submarine) - Nav. Medium - 110 - 2/3
Vanguard | 2x Piercing (Fore Torpedoes) - Nav. Medium - 10
2x Vanguard (Submarine) - Nav. Medium - 110 - 2/3
Vanguard | 2x Piercing (Fore Torpedoes) - Nav. Medium - 10

Well, concluding from Your insane luck on the firepower of the Eagle seems somewhat far fetched to me. You were also lucky that Your opponent fielded a submarine list with little firepower that makes good targets for Your units. Your list is missing a small class unit to fullfill the fleet construction rules.

I know I was missing my smalls, but it was a 500 PT friendly game..in a different time I'd changemy subs to a trio and add a unit of small ships, but that is for another day.

I might point out your list is also illegal for a naval game....you cant take the Eagle as the only large as you need a core large first....i.e a naval ship

i know some people get things wrong...but i get a little narked when people say " oh X is awesome, it did this this and this" then you look into it and half the lists are illegal and their playing against stuff that is really ineffective.

Yes its 500 points, will an eagle be awesome at 500 points...probs. 500 points is nowhere near an average game size.

If people want to judge models then please do it at reasonable points limits with LEGAL lists

As I stated above, the Eagle performs poorly even in small games, assuming average dice rolls.

I might point out your list is also illegal for a naval game....you cant take the Eagle as the only large as you need a core large first....i.e a naval ship

I am not sure about that. The v2 rules only say that at least 60% of the mfv must come from the core force. I did not find a passage saying that all minimum unit slots must be filled by the core force.

the other part of this as well, is that this game we had, was my 5th game of dystopian wars, and the 2nd using any KoB forces at all. So I am not 100% on all the rules, but I am learning them as best I can. we have no one else out here who plays other then like 4 players who are all new to the game. We are trying to start playing more frequently and getting more players, an experienced player out here would help loads.

the other part of this as well, is that this game we had, was my 5th game of dystopian wars, and the 2nd using any KoB forces at all. So I am not 100% on all the rules, but I am learning them as best I can. we have no one else out here who plays other then like 4 players who are all new to the game. We are trying to start playing more frequently and getting more players, an experienced player out here would help loads.

I wouldn't jump in with the full rule set straight away if you are new - aim to get a new bit of knowledge or two each week and build up mate. This week we have two new guys at the club, only going to foucs on moving and firing with surface ships, then introduce boarding, carriers etc etc

As I stated above, the Eagle performs poorly even in small games, assuming average dice rolls.

I am not sure about that. The v2 rules only say that at least 60% of the mfv must come from the core force. I did not find a passage saying that all minimum unit slots must be filled by the core force.

It's on page 20 of the admiral edition under minimum force requirements for future reference

Short and sad answer: no.

The only thing I can think of is that an Eagle is less likely to be targeted by an opponent compared to an Illustrious, since the Illustrious' carrier abilities would degrade with the damage where as the Eagle starts off fairly useless anyway.

The Eagle can do a few things well... It has flexibility in its movement, some nice bomb bays and a few mines. It is fairly tough for its points cost. It can perform a good last-turn-last-activation boarding attempt at a key target if you moved it right.

Thing is, the Illustrious does nearly all that too, and adds some nice carrier ability on top.

Put it this way; the first model I ever painted for dystopian wars was a KoB Eagle. It has been fielded twice, once last edition and once this edition after it received 360 degree movement. It sits on a shelf now, glaring at me and reminding me to paint the Daedalus and Epicurus that are sat next to it.