Makabriel

Determining Aft or Flank

So I'm wondering how people are ruling on Aft or Flank bonuses.  Do you determine off the target's Arc (using the 90-degree template), or just eyeball it?

For instance

Arc

Are both of these instances In front of the target, or are they aft?  Especially the far right example.  He's far enough to the side of the target to be able to hit the aft section.  Or would he have to be forward more to target the right side?  Does the 50% rule apply to a single model?  

So I'm wondering how people are ruling on Aft or Flank bonuses.  Do you determine off the target's Arc (using the 90-degree template), or just eyeball it?

In tight situations we also use a line laser. Measuring from the attackers arc of fire. Sometimes its obviuos, sometimes needs discussion about closest distance and who can see what. If we can't find a solution, then the next best target area is taken.

Having played plenty of games against Spartan Derek, the way its played (although checking the online rulebook I appreciate it doesnt show this).

Measure the Flank / Rear Arc from the target and if ALL of the firing models are wholly within the flank / rear of the model taking the hits. 

Does that make sense? 

Makes more sense then my interpretion of the rulebook.  :) But then again, the rulebook does not specify the working besides "talk it out".  :D

I have raised it as part of the Beta team to make sure that we keep that in mind for any future FAQ's... and to check that I am not crazy...

Having played plenty of games against Spartan Derek, the way its played (although checking the online rulebook I appreciate it doesnt show this).

Measure the Flank / Rear Arc from the target and if ALL of the firing models are wholly within the flank / rear of the model taking the hits. 

Does that make sense? 

Perfect!  That's what I was assuming.  It's not PoV from the attacker, but PoV of the target.  Thanks!

I got an army painter laser line gaming aid a couple of months ago. So, so good. I just put the 45° template down and then draw the laser line down over the edge of the template

I got an army painter laser line gaming aid a couple of months ago. So, so good. I just put the 45° template down and then draw the laser line down over the edge of the template

Hah, so did I!.  Used it last game and it did help.

On 18/03/2016 at 1:49 PM, Kraggi said:

Hi ! :)

I don't understand : what about the '50% of attacking models' rule ?

In the example of the book if you have 3 out of 5 models in the flank arc, then you have the bonus. What did I miss ?

Anyway I have another question : what if the line separating front and flank arc is across a model needed to have more than 50% ?

For example I have 2 out of 5 that are wholly in the flank and 2 wholly in the front arc. The 5th is between the to arcs. Where shall I consider it, front or flank ?

Does it need to be totally in the flank arc to count in ? Or the bigger part of it's base in it ? Or the fireing arc in it ? :)

Thanks

On 16/10/2016 at 1:09 PM, Karun said:

Hi ! :)

I don't understand : what about the '50% of attacking models' rule ?

In the example of the book if you have 3 out of 5 models in the flank arc, then you have the bonus. What did I miss ?

Anyway I have another question : what if the line separating front and flank arc is across a model needed to have more than 50% ?

For example I have 2 out of 5 that are wholly in the flank and 2 wholly in the front arc. The 5th is between the to arcs. Where shall I consider it, front or flank ?

Does it need to be totally in the flank arc to count in ? Or the bigger part of it's base in it ? Or the fireing arc in it ? :)

Thanks

Hi Karun, I am replying based on my games with the games designer vs the rules book. I would play it as per the rulesbook (to avoid confusion), and i will aim to keep my answers in line the digital rulesbook from now on! 

In that light, I dont think your second scenario is covered, but I would probably go with the model must be fully within the flank, you control the models positioning and you can premeasure / check all these things before shooting, so I think you should be able to get into the flank. 

Hope that helps.