Sign in to follow this  
Larnx

Magnets sizes

Hey all!
Just got my (first of many) Taskforce box in and I was wondering what kind of magnet I would need exactly. I saw on the blog posts a mention of 2mm magnets but is that for the height or diameter of them? 

Task in advance!

Just as an aside: Especially where hull pieces are supposed to be magneted (totally a word!) together it can make a lot of sense to drill the holes out to 3mm diameter and bit deeper and use 3x2mm magnets (which are stronger) instead. Some of those parts are pretty heavy and with the smaller magnets your model may get a bit wobbly. Nothing major, but that's what I found when assembling mine and thought I'd share it. :)

Just as an aside: Especially where hull pieces are supposed to be magneted (totally a word!) together it can make a lot of sense to drill the holes out to 3mm diameter and bit deeper and use 3x2mm magnets (which are stronger) instead. Some of those parts are pretty heavy and with the smaller magnets your model may get a bit wobbly. Nothing major, but that's what I found when assembling mine and thought I'd share it. :)

Just another fine example where over engineering is your friend. The difference in cost for the magnets will at worst only be a couple of cents per magnet most likely less less if you pickup a bunch at once

How well does the pull force hold the pieces together?

depends strongly on the quality of the magnets and if you go magnet to metal or magnet to magnet. but a reasonable quality pair of magnets will be quite sufficient to the task

OK I have a silly question... why magnetize? Are you expecting to not use the more powerful model when you play? Or do you expect new things you can swap in its place? I'm having a hard thinking of a use case other than not taking advantage of the more powerful unit... Just wondering. I'm thinking of picking a box up and considering why I would magnetize. Thanks!

- Sometimes you just want to mix it up.

- Sometimes the points only allow the 'less powerful' unit with everything else you took.

- Sometimes you want the requisitioned ship, other times not.

- Sometimes the rules get updated and a less viable ship becomes more viable.

- Sometimes the stats get updated and there's a narrower choice between the two options.

:-)

OK I have a silly question... why magnetize? Are you expecting to not use the more powerful model when you play? Or do you expect new things you can swap in its place? I'm having a hard thinking of a use case other than not taking advantage of the more powerful unit... Just wondering. I'm thinking of picking a box up and considering why I would magnetize. Thanks!

Personal choice really

- You might want a screening force of expendable units or a cheap squadron to unit down crippled enemy units without wasting a powerful unit that can be used to try and cripple another enemy.

- The scenario might dictate X standard and/or Y heavy cruiser squadrons so being able to swap loadout to show the correct ship is cheaper if you just use magnets that allows 1 model to become 2 variants rather than having to buy both variants especially if you do not use both variants at the same time time often

- Because it can be done

- possibility of future varients

some just glue together the once type and use the other parts as spares or for kit bashing

I feel that the most important point has been missed. I want to point my turrets at the target and whisper pew-pew!

But yeah, I can see numerous cases where I would want to choose carrier in some squadrons and not carrier in others.

I feel that the most important point has been missed. I want to point my turrets at the target and whisper pew-pew!

But yeah, I can see numerous cases where I would want to choose carrier in some squadrons and not carrier in others.

I thought that was given :D