Sign in to follow this  
Xystophoroi

Bombers/Carriers

Just got my hands on a starter set (Dir/Aq if you must know) and speed read through the rules (hint if you get a chance to rewrite, I'd restate what Damage and Disorder does in the section with the damage table, not just at the start when describing the tokens).

Then I hit the section on Interceptors and Bombers and looked at the stat cards. Bombers are getting 4 dice to the interceptors adding 6 to the PD of their parent ship. 24 inches of reactive interceptor cover that seems to completely overwhelm the dice from the bombers.

Using just the ships/mods in the starter set how do the Bombers achieve anything? It seems that both sides using their carriers will just cancel one another out with their Interceptors.

There is no order that one needs to perform a Bombing Run, Boarding Assault or Main Ordinance Attack so...you can make your opponent use up Interceptors on a Bombing Run only to then overwhelm him in a Boarding Attack or vice versa.

Granted I think 24" is a damn long way though!

Stops carriers being an auto include, and still if bombers/fighters are hovering on the edge of your command distance, that gives u a 18/24 attack range (depending on command range) so its still similarish :)

Wait until that Carrier full of Bombers unloads on you...

Hey, I'm not saying a SRS wingload of bombers couldn't be balanced with lower AD for increased range.... Just like the idea of longer range SRS in general.

Actually with 3.0 FSA coming out, I'd like to see SRS for different races. Maybe just add a race special SRS with the standard. Not a super thought out plan - would just be neat.

Bombers are way too powerful in 2.0 in my opinion. Only by about 3AD but having nearly Dreadnought level power from some damn bombers is nuts.

Racial SRS features would be really cool though...

I agree, especially with aquans which have excellent ships aswell, would like to see bombers lose the pd and/or a point of ad or limiting wing sizes to say a max of 3/4 will tone down the bomber/interceptor spam, ditto the interceptors losing a pd and making fighters a 2 ad 6 wing max.

As balanced as the game is its not much fun playing terans against pd mountain or sorilliyans vs dindrenzi full stop

As balanced as the game is its not much fun playing terans against pd mountain or sorilliyans vs dindrenzi full stop

I've only seen one game of Sory vs. Din that wasn't decided by the bottom of turn 2.  That pairing is the ultimate in early cripple vs. drawn out bloodletting. 

One thing I always thought was odd was that SRS would launch and return in the same turn.

IF Bombers were to be made longer ranged in Armada, they should have to be allowed to stay out on the board and move around instead of immediately returning to base.  This would allow more opportunities to be Intercepted by SRS and ships, but have allow for an interesting choice mechanic.

An RB1 Torpedo attack would also be interesting, but would be less balanced than above as all it would do is add to their threat range and make them safer in their attack run.