Sign in to follow this  
Pads1982

First thoughts

Let me start off by saying I love this form of the game, I've had 3 games using current models substituted in to test the rules and play a variety of game sizes and races. It plays very similar to halo and planet fall. My only concern is the way damage affects firepower. My opponent was in a situation where I had damaged his 3 cruisers a total of 9 times even linking all his ships the squadron was useless as couldn't get enough successes after the 9 were removed. I can see where this has come from like of halo and PF where your only losing a few successes but with the amount of hull on the cruisers has a much bigger impact. The aquans are going to take some figuring out, I'm struggling to see their weakness. The game is going to scale brilliantly, looking forward to getting the big boys out in large games when the stats are out

Hi Pads1982,

At some point in the next couple of days there will be a couple of downloads for the rules going online, one of which is what we call the Carnage Damage Table. See how you fair with that Damage Table, and when we roll out the first FA conversions (aka Patrol Fleet Stats) as you say you'll be able to tear into things with the big boys.

All the best,

Spartan Neil

Looking forward to it Neil, I just figured out very quickly that damaging multiple ships was more detrimental than destroying 1. Are there plans for missions or would it be worth taking the main rule book missions from 2.0

Well, i got my Terran vs Dindrenzi starter box today. Sadly i am one of the poor guys with only 5 frigates per faction. I will email Spartan about this soon.

First of all i have to say that the model look extremely good. The new terran cruiser is no doubt the best cruiser this faction had to this day. A really great modell. I am looking foward to see a Tier 1 BB in this new design pattern. The frigates are equally well designed. Oh, and the Dindrenzi are ok as well... ;)

As for the rules, well, there i a lot of new stuff. Just 2 to 3 glances

Moving is performed as in Halo Fleet Battles and the Fleet building remindes me on the mechanic used in Planetfall.

Attacking is a totally new system. Attack dice are now combined in a squadron and there is only the damage rating left. However if you reach or surpass the DR, you and your opponent make a competitive roll on a new damage table, resulting in everything between just disorder markers or up to 5, 6 or more damage points.

Taskforce looks good so far, but honestly i think i will stick to the Friestorm Armada rules most of the time.

Finally got some games in too and I was surprised how entertaining it was. Fast paced game for situations when you lack time. We played with one and two starter boxes so far. Our main concern was zombie ships syndrom - When ships gather some damage they are totally useless. Compared to FSA, lower AD, better defences (higher DR) and damage not affecting defences results in ships doing nothing. One game we let it go for around 15 turns without being able to anything to each other after first two turns or crippling damage. Then we just gave up. We will probably fix this inside our group with damage not affecting blue attacks and probably getting disorder markers with each damage taken. Another concern was terrain as we just can't find how you have the AD. In terrain section it says models and so we assumed before combining...but that means attacks are weaker than halved, so we will halve the total pool. We are even toying with the idea of blue weapons ignoring terrain like in FSA.

Yeah, but... Is that intentional? I'd get it if it were a new game in a vacuum, but the precedent thusfar with the "physics" of Firestorm is that fast=manouverable. I'm not sure what good being fast is if you can't more easily position using that speed.

To be honest, there are a lot of things I've had to think long and hard about. Bidding for Disorder removal, for instance. If you're going to remove Disorder, like, if you're counting on taking off in the 4 5 6 range, you aren't really gambling anything, you're counting on the initiative modifier being against your favor. Likewise, even now there are a good number of ships that are shieldless, so Dissorder isn't even hurting them for the majority of attacks. Until there are ships that are counting on piles of shields, Dissorder is kind of trivial in general- bidding for its removal sits in the somewhat pointless category, and moreso when you consider how few you can remove verses the piles, you recieve in return. You know that if you absolutely have to remove Dissorder, you'll lose out on initiative, if you don't need to then you just don't and go all in on Initiative. The actual dice roll is going to make the difference either way, so why bother making it all secretive?

Finally got some games in too and I was surprised how entertaining it was. Fast paced game for situations when you lack time. We played with one and two starter boxes so far. Our main concern was zombie ships syndrom - When ships gather some damage they are totally useless. Compared to FSA, lower AD, better defences (higher DR) and damage not affecting defences results in ships doing nothing. One game we let it go for around 15 turns without being able to anything to each other after first two turns or crippling damage. Then we just gave up. We will probably fix this inside our group with damage not affecting blue attacks and probably getting disorder markers with each damage taken. Another concern was terrain as we just can't find how you have the AD. In terrain section it says models and so we assumed before combining...but that means attacks are weaker than halved, so we will halve the total pool. We are even toying with the idea of blue weapons ignoring terrain like in FSA.

We introduced "Weapon Shielding" in the Carnage table (plus we're working on making Disorder once it reaches a certain level, become damage as Disorder doesn't affect everyone equally). This was my main concern in testing hence why the Carnage table was introduced and is the recommended method of playing now. Works far better in our group now.

Terrain is important but you don't have barely as much as FSA, that's not the intention. A simple gas gloud or asteroid in each sector is enough to use when moving up the field or to hurt the oppositions chance of damaging you. Obviously feel free to chop and change and try what you want, it's all good feedback at the end of the day.

Yeah, but... Is that intentional? I'd get it if it were a new game in a vacuum, but the precedent thusfar with the "physics" of Firestorm is that fast=manouverable. I'm not sure what good being fast is if you can't more easily position using that speed.

To be honest, there are a lot of things I've had to think long and hard about. Bidding for Disorder removal, for instance. If you're going to remove Disorder, like, if you're counting on taking off in the 4 5 6 range, you aren't really gambling anything, you're counting on the initiative modifier being against your favor. Likewise, even now there are a good number of ships that are shieldless, so Dissorder isn't even hurting them for the majority of attacks. Until there are ships that are counting on piles of shields, Dissorder is kind of trivial in general- bidding for its removal sits in the somewhat pointless category, and moreso when you consider how few you can remove verses the piles, you recieve in return. You know that if you absolutely have to remove Dissorder, you'll lose out on initiative, if you don't need to then you just don't and go all in on Initiative. The actual dice roll is going to make the difference either way, so why bother making it all secretive?

I'm afraid I have to disagree - tier 3 ships are far more maneuverable and can easily run rings around the bigger ships. The ability to turn twice in a turn makes for very easy maneuverability, and allows the smaller ships to easily get out of certain arcs of the opponent's ships if need be.

As for bidding to get rid of disorder, it isn't an instant win for your opponent because in all likelihood they will be bidding too. If they aren't, it's because you're piling damage tokens on his ships instead or just not penetrating his defences. As for the disorder markers themselves, they come into play against bombing runs and boarding actions too, so just because a unit doesn't have shields doesn't mean they aren't hurt by having disorder markers - in fact, they count towards the majority of attacks.