Sign in to follow this  
Vedar

So what are the rules?

They are fairly vague. As no examples for turning are given and not entirely clear what attacks do suffer penalties for damage such as boarding. How do mine feilds work? They fall under debris terrain feild so do they act like a deris feild in addition to mines so hindering attacks?

They are fairly vague. As no examples for turning are given and not entirely clear what attacks do suffer penalties for damage such as boarding.

Cyclic Shielding also sounds like it could be used against boarding, but I'm not sure  :wacko:

Cyclic Shielding also sounds like it could be used against boarding, but I'm not sure  :wacko:

Well i read it as cyclic shielding works against any weapon attacks, but boarding is a non-weapon attack (see combining non-weapon attacks p17) the same as bombers so i say no. But can it be used against (not yet seen) cyber weapons and gravitational weapons as they ignore shields and point defence but the cyclic shielding says 'ALL weapon attacks. If it doesn't work against them, they should have changed it to say it can use shield against torpedoes. As that is all that is left to affect.

They are fairly vague. As no examples for turning are given and not entirely clear what attacks do suffer penalties for damage such as boarding. How do mine feilds work? They fall under debris terrain feild so do they act like a deris feild in addition to mines so hindering attacks?

Do you need examples for turning? It's pretty straight forward - if you're a tier 2 or 3 you can begin by turning up to 45 degrees, then you move at least half your movement straight forward, tier 3s can then perform another 45 degree turn at the end of the move. Tier 1s have to move forward half their move and can end their move by performing up to a 45 degree turn, as can tier 2s that didn't begin their move by turning.

We were initially playing this, but on further investigation it doesn't seem to be the case. Page 17 of the rule book clearly defines boarding assaults and bombing runs as non-weapon attacks, and the MAR for cyclic shielding on page 26 says it applies to 'ALL weapon attacks'.

Can the negative defensive successes incurred by disorder markers go into negatives?

I wouldn't think so - how can you have negative defence? Are your troops so demoralized that in addition to being unable to defend themselves they begin sabotaging their own ships? That just seems silly to me.

Overall  think the rules are quite solid. Sure, they're simple, but that makes for a fast, furious and bloody game. I might only have a handful of games under my belt, but I'm definitely a fan of the rules. Not the depth of Planetfall (the only other Spartan game I play ... for the moment) but still sufficient to be a game of tactics - like my last game where I suckered my Dindrenzi opponent into charging forward after a unit of frigates. The rest of my fleet went the other way and after the second turn he never got to fire those front arc rail guns again! :lol:

Seems like no one actually answered the question:

Does that count as a rules question?

Ill +1 it as a valid question :D, some might say the most important valid question :)

Wondering the same.

Are the rules only available in the 2 player box sets then?

I'm dying here, guys.

We've got a decent X-Wing crowd here, some of which love giving their models custom paint jobs. So I think FST might be an easy sell. But I'm hesitant to commit to the game until I have a look at the rulebook,

Spartan, download please?

Look at Maggarch's Link

Quite. But you can "listen" to this nice rule review on the web ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yR5esqBzDt8

I know it's not ideal, but the video is of good enogh quality that you can read the text while he is showing the book off.

Have a watch/read, if you're still not sure: just grab yourself a 2 player boxset. Go halfs with a friend if you are worried about the cost. The modular models alone are worth the £20...

Ya, I think it is pretty crappy of SG not to post them.  Spartan guys, if you think not posting the rules will bolster sales, then you are mistaken.  It is no big deal to post the PDF - you've had it for a while.  You are just making folks unhappy and that doesn't help sales (we all want SG to succeed!) We could have had at least a month of play at our club that would have drawn more players in had we the rules.  Really, just hire a PDF/document/web master to help you keep your minis stay on the tables.