Sign in to follow this  
projectmanhatten5

Loading HE Shells

Hey everyone,

Last game we came up with a snall issue. A Piercing munition weapon cannot indirect fire but can you voluntairily drop the Piercing Ammo and fire regular HE (as the rulebook suggests)? You can lose Ammo types when you link or combine with other ammo types so I wondered if you can also choose to not firing with specific ammo types.

Kind regards

If I recall correctly, Tank Destroyers usually have fixed direct fire weaponry that lacks the ability to provide the level of elevation you would like to have for IDF. They're ambushers, not main battle tanks.

Besides, a bunch of Canadian high payload mortar batteries is scary IDF in it's own right.

They indeed have, but as we are coming up with a large amphibious assault battle, I was kinda looking at playing DoC and provide a mass barrage on the beach to prevent enemy forces from coming in. Unfortunately the Armoured models are squishy so every naval model is able to kill it. 

Somewhat squishier yes, but that's mostly in reduced hullpoint count. I'll be comparing the Thunderer to light cruisers as their price ranges match up best.

A Thunderer has DR 5 CR 6, so takes equal dice pools to damage compared to a Lexington or Riever light cruiser in a similar price range. The difference between 3 hullpoints or 4 hullpoints is hurting the Thunderer, but with only one point of difference between DR and CR I'd personally try to crit a Thunderer instead of plinking away at it, and two crits would take out most light cruisers as well. Granted, a light cruiser often has some additional goodies, like an additional weapon system and slightly better AA & CC values.

It's far easier to notice the difference between large/massive models for the Armoured and Naval cores. An average landship has a DR of 5 and a CR of 8 with 7 HP, where an average battleship clocks in at DR 6 and CR 10 with 8 HP. Then again, landships are usually significantly cheaper as well. On the bright side, it's also a lot easier to out-activate naval opponents, only moving your forces in when you're confident you won't be facing as much return fire.

Also, you don't need to move into range of naval barrage guns, you'll only need to move into range of the beach. Minor difference, but it could easily mean the difference between RB 2 and 3-4 on most vessels, especially if your opponent has an enemy fleet in the waters as well. Last scenario we played, we had two naval fleets and armoured armies facing off in an amphibious scenario as well. The only supporting fire from naval into the armoured theatre was a few long range pot shots from broadsides, which subsequently failed to do anything of note. On the other hand, the landing army provided some minor support fire at a naval opponent. The defending army didn't fire anything at the open sea due to lack of ranged weaponry.