Sign in to follow this  
avien

Terran and Dindrenzi Ship naming conventions

Does the vessel "Justin Beaver" die in every battle?

Perhaps the better question is - Does it die from enemy fire or friendly fire?

:lol:

This thread needs some new blood!  ;)

For my Terran Fleet, I've mainly gone with Greek myth names however my wife made the suggestion of some characters from a book series she has been reading. J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood novels. The names I went with are:

Wrath

Rage

Torment

Zadist

Phury

Viscious

Destroyer

I've gone with an arctic theme for my fleet squad names, however, I often name the captains of vessels (thus reusable when the ship dies, captain escapes and is picked up later)  but I do name squads, it's fun to come up with nick names for particular vessels when they do something awesome, my battlestation is "the burg" and I have a frigate nicknamed by another in my meta (and it has caught on) "the defiant" he couldn't kill it, shots of 12 and 14 inexplicabley missed, and the little liquidator helped kill 5 corvettes, and single handedly delivered a couple crits in the afts of cruisers :D

I've got a slightly mixed naming convention for my Terrans; T1s (and heavy cruisers though that is partly coincidence with the squadron name) follow the Royal Navy example of taking the first letter of the class name and finding something suitable for it (e.g. Daring, Dragon etc.) while T2 and T3 squadrons take the letter of their squadron name instead. I might alter this as the fleet takes loses in the future but for now I'm happy with it. Originally the Hauberks and the Teutons used names of famous generals or admirals but I've added in some mythological elements as well:

NTSC Triumphant (Tyrant Class)

NTSC Acheron (Apollo Class)

Hammer Squadron: NTSC Horatio, Hardrada, Hannibal, Herakles, Hermes, Hephaestus (Hauberk Class - only have 3 models but the first three kind of ate it in the last game and needed to come up with some replacements!)

Anvil Squadron: NTSC Africanus, Aruga, Alexander, Agrippa, Agamemnon, Artorius (Teuton Class)

Sword Squadron: NTSC Sword, Sabre, Scimitar, Strike (Armsmen Class Frigates)

Dagger Squadron: NTSC Dagger, Dirk, Dart, Dervish (Armsmen Class Frigates)

I have named captains for all of the above as well which I'll not derail the thread by adding but can be found on the blog in the signature :)

I try to name my ship squads all starting with the same

letter/Theme (being dindrenzi so squads tend to be in 3s so I get away with it)

my destroyers for examples are: Raptor, Reaver and Recluse (all death bringing nasties beginning with 'R')

this seems to be a quick no thrills way to get a theme going in my force,

I try to name my ship squads all starting with the same

letter/Theme (being finder so squads tend to be in 3s do I get away with it),

That's a fun idea. I may have to use that for some of my fleets as well!

I go with the following Aquan convention (I painted them like reapers, so it's not anything regular):

The smaller the ship, the longer and more elaborate the name.

My frigates have names like "The Furious Righteous Sword of Unending Vengeance". In my headcanon, the name follows the captain, and as the captain gains renown and goes on to bigger ships, the name gets shorter and less grandiose. The idea is that as time goes on, the captain's reputation intimidate their foes more than the name of the ship. So a light cruiser might be "Sword of Unending Vengeance", and a battleship or comparable capital-class ship might just be "Vengeance" or "Sword"- if you're talking about "The Sword", it's assumed you're talking about that particular, dreaded ship, not any of the innumerable "Sword of ______" ships.

Kinda like how in Star Wars EU, Gands only got first names and pronouns if they were legendary- it's rude to assume people already know who you are otherwise.

for me I'm more of  a Terran guy so I go native Indian Names for my cruisers Apache, Navajo, Soux.... ect  BB I go with Greek and Roman gods Apollo, Esties, .....

DN's Kracken , Cyclops, ...... Frigates WW2 war heroes...... Carriers Zenith class modern day Admerals Ares class WW2 carriers Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown, Lexington.....

Dendrenzi I haven't given it much thought other than naming there BB after viking gods.

I don't really follow any pattern in naming my ships. I just name them whatever name suits them in my opinion. 

Fury (Tyrant) If it ever dies I'll rename it Blazing Fury....... Though Fury's Revenge sounds good too.

Ironsides (Razorthorn)

Mighty Mo (Apollo) 

I have not named my other ships yet but I probably name the individual squadrons on all my tier 2's and 3's. 

If I had a dindrenzi fleet I would call it the Dark Force. With the flagship the Black Hammer. Though one battleship would need to be called the Katana. Wouldn't be the Dark Force without it.