RagnaBloodedge

Lost in Translation

Hey Forum.  It's been a while.  

Without further ado (or adieu, for the fancy forum-goers), let me pose my thought to you fine folk: (Granted, this perspective is slightly skewed from the outside looking in, but I feel the need to clarify...)  I'm tempted to start expanding my interests into Planetfall.  I've started pawing rather rabidly through the rulebook.  I play Armada (Directorate and Terrans) and I immediately took an immense liking to both the Directorate and Terran Planetfall models.

But it seems like the two respective factions play entirely different than their FSA personas.  (Minus corporate underhandedness DISCOUNTS!) I feel like a lot of what embodies The Terrans is a bit...off in Planetfall. The Directorate seem...just different than how they play space-side.  

Are these the wrong factions for me?   Is there something I'm missing? Granted, I am the most n00bish newb, so perhaps this is my lack of Ground-Operation experience...

Thoughts? Concerns?  Recipes anyone wants to share?

Hmmm for me I would describe the Terrans in Planetfall as the slow & shielded faction, when they get in range they can throw out some amazing AD values (the Heimdal still gives me nightmares).

The Directorate are a faction I play, and they have some very nice aerial helixes to help with an aerial domination, and thus far are the only faction with access to Cyber warfare, which is fun for all sorts of messing people around.

Have to admit haven't played much Armada myself, but thats how I would sum up those two factions. 

Terrans are as armored and sheilded as aquans but are slower and shorter ranged. The few units that are more armored is by only a bit.

Directorate may put out less AD than terrans but prove to be better protected and tougher. And have a bit better speed and range.

Doctrines differ between services I guess. It shouldn't be that strange that planetary forces take a factions technology and apply it with different emphasis. Happens plenty enough with IRL services, and they don't even have to deal with inter-stellar travel & combat yet :P

Though that does raise a very tangential question I've thought of about multiple sci-fi wargames- what are planetary navies like when inter-planetary navies (for sake of a better nomenclature) exist? Do factions have planetfall capable warships? Easy to assemble ones in containers at least? Do they not bother?

Actually in testing I just recently ran the numbers on model durability in the core helices. For taking their 1st DR of damage the Terrans are the most durable. Followed by Sorys, Aquans, Dindrenzi, Relth, and Directorate bringing up the rear.

Oh, Resa? Yes, yes we do have planetfall capable ships.  :D

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/16912-lieutenant-we-need-something-bigger/?p=301314

Wow, Max... 'dat carrier.  :blink:

Did you make that?!  If so, that's exceptionally impressive... (If not,take credit for it anyway.  'tis the Directorate way...)  Amazing stuff.  All I can hope to do is add cool CGI to my pics...(Fun Campaign Batreps coming soon...) ^.^

Actually in testing I just recently ran the numbers on model durability in the core helices. For taking their 1st DR of damage the Terrans are the most durable. Followed by Sorys, Aquans, Dindrenzi, Relth, and Directorate bringing up the rear.

Wait, are Directorate ships armored with construction paper?!

Oh, Resa? Yes, yes we do have planetfall capable ships.  :D

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/16912-lieutenant-we-need-something-bigger/?p=301314

Did you factor in Kinetic or CQB to that? Or just MAR-less theory bullets? :P

Wow, Max... 'dat carrier. :blink:

Did you make that?! If so, that's exceptionally impressive... (If not,take credit for it anyway. 'tis the Directorate way...) Amazing stuff. All I can hope to do is add cool CGI to my pics...(Fun Campaign Batreps coming soon...) ^.^

Wait, are Directorate ships armored with construction paper?!

That's an official model, look in Spartan Scenics.

Did you factor in Kinetic or CQB to that? Or just MAR-less theory bullets? :P

Raw AD. Running Cqb and every random MAR available ... WAY too many variables 0.0

Besides you know good and well what I was originally running those numbers for duck...