Sign in to follow this  
Resa F

Kurak (Hawker and/or Ryushi) 800 point Tourney lists

So, I'm priming the pump for the GT in March and I'm contemplating which of these lists to take?

List 1

• Excelsior- +2" Mv; +1 HP- 190
  • Resolute x3- Weapon Shielding- 210
  • Hokita x4- PD Barrage- 260
  • Endeavor x4- 140

I'm not convinced by the utility of Nukes, and the Hokita in my mind benefits more from an additional weapon system by giving them PD Barrage than the Excelsior does from having Cyber Weapons, hence the loadouts. The Resolute's will be shunt bombs most of the time, but when I've played with them before, 5HP, Weapon Shielding & decent Torps means they generally hang around long enough to be useful even not shunting in.

List 2

• Onnisha- +1 Shield; +3 Wings; Deck Crews- 145
    • Bomber x5- 25
    • Interceptor x2-10
    • Hokita x2-120
  • Hokita x4- PD Barrage- 260
  • Akkarai x6- 120
  • Akkarai x6- 120

Both lists are interesting.

The second list, how often do you use PD Barrage?

Is it really worth less Wings on both the Bomber and Interceptor tokens?

Not that often, but I value the utility of it more than I value buffing 15AD up to 18AD, and adding 2 PD to a squadron which already has 11 PD base, plus 4 from Interceptors.

For me, the wings are already numerous enough to do their job and do it well. PD Barrage on the Hokita however, adds an entirely new weapon system to my toolbox which I wouldn't posses otherwise.

I would prefer to use list 1 myself. Good spread of units and two tough cruiser squads

I was leaning towards the first list, but I've heard good things about accompanied Onnisha.

Not that often, but I value the utility of it more than I value buffing 15AD up to 18AD, and adding 2 PD to a squadron which already has 11 PD base, plus 4 from Interceptors.

For me, the wings are already numerous enough to do their job and do it well. PD Barrage on the Hokita however, adds an entirely new weapon system to my toolbox which I wouldn't posses otherwise.

I have experience vs Ryushi.

The 8 inch range is very problematic for concentrated use, ie maneuvering and placement. For the 20 points it cost versus the extra SRS, I have not seen it payoff. You only get to use that trick once. After that, your opponents will keep tier 3 ships far away from the Hokitas.

But, your milage may vary.

Played with the Hawker core list last night, which I lost, just about. I experimented with shunting the Hokita in and keeping the Resolute's on the table. That worked OK but I probably wouldn't do it again, but shunting the Hokita in next to 2 squadrons of Frigates meant PD Barrage earnt its points.

I think it's just the way my one opponent at club builds lists, but I often find myself out activated, so I was toying with changing list 2 over to this-

• Onnisha- +1 Shield; +3 Wings; Deck Crews; Split Fire- 145
    • Bomber x6- 30
    • Interceptor x3-15
  • Hokita x3 - 180
  • Hokita x3 - 180
  • Akkarai x6- 120
  • Akkarai x6- 120

Playing around I was also considering this-

• Onnisha- +1 Shield; +3 Wings; Deck Crews; Split Fire- 145
    • Bomber x6- 30
    • Interceptor x3-15
    • Hokita- 60
  • Hokita x4 - 240
  • Auditor x2- ART - 180
  • Akkarai x6- 120

<p>

Played with the Hawker core list last night, which I lost, just about. I experimented with shunting the Hokita in and keeping the Resolute's on the table. That worked OK but I probably wouldn't do it again, but shunting the Hokita in next to 2 squadrons of Frigates meant PD Barrage earnt its points.

I think it's just the way my one opponent at club builds lists, but I often find myself out activated, so I was toying with changing list 2 over to this-

What was the BL score?

What was your opponents list?

Why did you lose?

BL was 3/5 to my opponent.

Opponent was running pure Ba'Kash as following:

• Karrak- +2" Mv; +2 MN- 215
    • 6x Bomber- 30
  • Tanvak x3- 240
  • Hashvar x2- 110
  • Shek x4- 100
  • Shek x4- 100

I lost mainly because I mucked up movement & spacing.  As a result the Excelsior couldn't finish off the Karrak, I couldn't properly counter the Tanvaks shunting into the middle of my battle line, and I wasn't prepared for drive-by minings. If I could have finished the Karrak however, I would have won handily.

There was a big brawl in the middle of the table, with the Excelsior on one side & the Karrak on another. I ended up with the Excelsior in gravitational slingshot range of a planetoid, and as a result had to move all the way through the brawl and couldn't get decent arcs of fire on the Karrak to finish it off.

The Resolute's got wiped before they could do any more significant damage to the Karrak, the Endeavor's got wiped earlier in the game by the Hashvar's shunting in next to them, and the Hokita were on the other side of the board.

The Tanvaks shunting in were a right pain to try to dislodge and did a lot of damage. They only got onto the board because we interpreted the rules for modifying BL to modify a reserve roll to allow for a -2 reduction of BL to allow a -2 reduction to a reserve roll. However, I should have prepared for them incoming anyway, if the roll had been different they would have appeared anyway and the BL would have been 3/7.

Mines were a nasty shock, as my opponent's only just got a hold of how to use them, but the Tanvaks & Karrak crashing through my lines dropping mines caused a lot of disruption, if not that much damage.

3/5 is technically a draw, according to the rules.

Overall the game sounds very close. I wouldn't make any drastic changes until you get a few more games in with that list. Play a few more times, then tweak.

3/5 is technically a draw, according to the rules.

Overall the game sounds very close. I wouldn't make any drastic changes until you get a few more games in with that list. Play a few more times, then tweak.

Sound advice. I'll give it another try in my next game. Should hopefully get me more used to it before the main event.

I guess you don't have a Hawker Regent?

Long answer: I find the Regent has less aesthetic value than Vogon poetry, although that may be because of the studio paint scheme being a bit monotone.

Short answer: No.

What would you suggest if I did have one?

Well so far I've had a good showing with a straight Hawker fleet at 800 with

BB: Cyberwarfare, ops center, nuke 210

CV: Cyberwarfare, nukes, Weapon Shielding, 6 Fighters/Bombers (your preference) and 2 Support Shuttles 225

Cruisers x3: Nukes, Weapon Shielding 225

Frigates x4: 140

Double Cyberwarfare can rip up a small fleet at 800 point levels. A stand alone the Regent can link for 11 AD combined with an SRS strike can hurt a single target, or use the turrets alone as frigate nukers.

Just played a game against Aquans at 800 points. I found Endeavours to be extremely valuable for the battle log they give up. Their 4/6 DR/CR makes them very tough to kill, and your opponent has to give up a disproportionate amount of firepower just to get 2 BL. On the other hand, they throw really good dice in RB2, so if your opponent doesnt kill them...

Resa, your list 1 is superior in my opinion.  Admirals needs to be on a battleship or above, any other ship is not sturdy enough, with a few exceptions (such as a cloaked carrier).  The shunt bombs in this case are your Endeavors, not the Resolutes, you can keep the Resolutes on the board and hide them in terrain the first 2 turns.

Well so far I've had a good showing with a straight Hawker fleet at 800 with

BB: Cyberwarfare, ops center, nuke 210

CV: Cyberwarfare, nukes, Weapon Shielding, 6 Fighters/Bombers (your preference) and 2 Support Shuttles 225

Cruisers x3: Nukes, Weapon Shielding 225

Frigates x4: 140

Double Cyberwarfare can rip up a small fleet at 800 point levels. A stand alone the Regent can link for 11 AD combined with an SRS strike can hurt a single target, or use the turrets alone as frigate nukers.

There's a lot of Nukes in that list- is that just because there's points going spare, or do you have high regard for nukes?

I do like the stat line for the Regent. I might get a Solar to proxy for one; alas, not enough time to get one before next weekend...

Just played a game against Aquans at 800 points. I found Endeavours to be extremely valuable for the battle log they give up. Their 4/6 DR/CR makes them very tough to kill, and your opponent has to give up a disproportionate amount of firepower just to get 2 BL. On the other hand, they throw really good dice in RB2, so if your opponent doesnt kill them...

They are tough little sods, along with having broadsides as good as the Resolute! Although my opponent ate them up last game I found their torps invaluable early game for sniping off other T3's.

Resa, your list 1 is superior in my opinion.  Admirals needs to be on a battleship or above, any other ship is not sturdy enough, with a few exceptions (such as a cloaked carrier).  The shunt bombs in this case are your Endeavors, not the Resolutes, you can keep the Resolutes on the board and hide them in terrain the first 2 turns.

Huh, I'd never considered that. In my mind models with Scout needed to be on the board in order for Scout to take effect, but if it doesn't shunting them in does seem like a nice option.

There's a lot of Nukes in that list- is that just because there's points going spare, or do you have high regard for nukes?

I do like the stat line for the Regent. I might get a Solar to proxy for one; alas, not enough time to get one before next weekend...

Play against Dindrenzi, Relthoza and Terran a lot.  Nukes are good for splashing Nidus squadrons and their SRS once you Cyber-hack down the cloak on their parent ships, Nuke splash also ignores Cloak so hack down cloak on something crit it and nuke splash it's still cloaked buddies. Terran Missionarys are also optimum targets for nuke splashing, the same for Dindrenzi frigates. Dindrenzi basic cruisers are also a good nuke target, if you get enough hits to score a crit then the low DR on cruisers makes for highly likely damage from the blast. Likewise for Terran cruisers, but you have to hope for bad shield rolls.