We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Vedar

Firestorm Armada 3.0 headed our way?

I don't know if they will do a full "Helix" system like Planetfall, but with the HexCharts in Taskforce I am suspicious that they have been re-thinking it

Honestly I don't mind so much what they do specifically.

If the overall game is fun, I will play it. Otherwise I will keep playing FSA V2.0 and Taskforce

@CoreHunter: I have not had any balance issues with Recon Fleet vs Recon Fleet.

Yes I can take a lot more Gunships or Heavy Cruisers over Cruisers but points costs of the bigger ships still restrict how many ships you have.

It seems ok, but we will see what they address over the first 12 months

So, look at it this way- if they had the points and covered their minimums, how would you feel about a player going double Dread in a 1000 point game? Like, as a Relth player, if my list was two Apex kitted out, at about 340 a pop, a pair of destroyers (160), and a pair of frigate squads (80 a piece).

Well, can't comment on the Relthoza Dread. No stats yet

But I will say I am not frightened by the current T1's

When my Mate saw the 2-3 battleship squadron size for Dindrenzi (typo for sure) he wants to fly a triple

I have said he can take 3 single Battleships if I can take 9 flights of Relthoza Drone Frigates. I like to try to break a game

But back to your list Hive, I don't mind it

Honestly you have not fully min maxed anyway

I am willing to give the TF system a good try. Also keen to break the rules sometimes. I have Faith in Spartan, if changes need to be made, it's FAQ time

WA

I think you misunderstand- I mean for Armada. At that points level, you'd never actually kill both evem if you took a pair of dreads yourself, which is the point I'm making. The more in-depth tier restrictions have more to do with keeping the game working and diverse than they do with balance, and that's not a bad thing.

@Hive. Right sorry

Yeh the restrictions in FSA seem OK mostly

I have issues over some of the destroyer or cruiser variety options

I don't see the exact fleet building mechanism of Taskforce coming into FSA. But I suspect a chart of hexes that creates something similar to the result we have already.

I just see a theme emerging is all

@Ryjak: Hive and I were not suggesting the game should be unbalanced. Just that balance is not from restrictions alone. Unit points are a major factor

@ Hive Are you sure? The restrictions on numbers of specific ship classes at each level seem to be a good limiting factor for balance purposes - whilst still offering diversity. Personally the tier within tier system needs to be adopted by more game systems not less.

Only thing I find a tad limiting is 3-5 T3 squadrons at grand level.

hive is in favor of restrictions within tiers, he was just illustrating how broken the game could get if there weren't such limitations, double relthoza dread in 1000 pts, there really isn't much you can do to cope at that point :(  which if FSA switches to helix systems, this wouuld be possible...

It really depends. In theory you could have a helix system where a given helix is more specific about what goes where- Ergo, a "Battle Fleet" helix, rather than readin "1 Tier 1" might read "1 Dreadnought or Battleship," with an optional tile that just reads "1 Battleship." As long as the benefits of meaningful restrictions are acknowledged, I think Helixes could be great. But like everything else, it needs more grit than the Taskforce equivalent.

Two squads of Marshalls against a Directorate Patrol Fleet. Mainly for gits and shiggles, but also to see what two squads of Marshalls could do. Turns out that two squadrons of Marshalls are weaker than a Directorate Patrol Fleet. 

The points difference wasn't as much as that. It would have been nearer to 615 with two Frigate Squads. The Battlecruisers did really well as there was nothing squishy around to soak up low dice attacks. The Directorate Fleet was able to move as one bubble with interceptor cover. Therefore the Marshall's torpedo fire wasn't going to be effective barring disorder on the Eliminator. With the correct amount of space terrain you can quite easily have a good game by breaking the build rules. The idea for this was German surface hunters in 1940 coming across a British Task Group in the Atlantic.
As for 'standard play' the BC's suffered from having no 'side arms' to snipe out the more numerous enemy Frigates. There beams did however do considerable damage, as they should, but I simply had more attack vectors that hadn't degraded (the frigates and cruisers).
There were many available tactical options, and Marshalls are certainly no slouch!, so a fun game. If shunt deployment had been allowed that would probably change things. With different factions it would probably be very different overall.

Edit: I possibly even had just the one frigate squadron. Basically the contents of a patrol fleet box.

580pts for two tooled up Marshall squadrons vs. 800pts of Directorate. Points difference wasn't that large, but the number of ships arrayed against the BCs proved to be the deciding factor.

Having 200 more points than your opponent is huge, even in a grand fleet. If you really want to test it thoug, do this:

600 points, no restrictions

800, Patrol Fleet