Málaga

Some basic (noob) questions

Hi everybody!,

I'm a new player into Planetfall and English is not my first language so I have very very basic questions about game I wish you can help me with them.

So I'm going to put here a little list:

1.Sky Drop and Artillery:

1.a.  Well I understand Sky Drop and Artillery Markers are now 2 different tokens, but in order to place them into the table in the pre-game phase, should I have "artillery support" and "sky drop nexus" rules?. I mean, If I have in example 1 Sirsir tank into my army, then can I place 2 Sky Drop markers? but  in that example i will not place any Artillery markers because Sirsir have not "artillery support" MAR.  And if I have not any model with  "artillery support" and "sky drop nexus" MAR I will not deploy any marker at pre-game phase. Is that correct?

1.b. Can Nexus Designator call an Artillery Strike through a Sky Drop Marker? If so, after strike calling Sky Drop Marker will be removed from play?, in negative case is the only way for calling an Artillery Strike have in your army any model with "artillery support" MAR?

2.Compiling and Firing Solution:

If I have a model with i.e. 3 weapons, 2 of them with "pinpoint" MAR and the other one with "corrosive" MAR and I decided to fire into a squadron of 3 tanks with Sh: 2, how I do this correctly?. Should I roll 2 pinpoint weapons separately and asisgn their hits to tanks, then roll corrosive one and assign differentiating dices and proceed with shield saves? is the firing of this model simultaneous? how I assign the hits of 2 kind of weaponry following the priority chain? can I mix the hits from 2 kind of weaponry trying to not lose 1 effect with a shield saving? I mean If I'm firing into a retaliator 3 tanks squad, and  I get 21 hits from pinpoint weapons and 4 hits from corrosive one, now we roll shields and we get 4 hits, RAW I'll lose corrosive effects on the squadron because was damaged but not damaged by a corrosive weapon. I'm bit lose with this :wacko:

At the moment this are my doubts, hope you can understand what I mean and could help me. Thanks everybody :lol:

1. Sky Drop and Artillery

1a. To get Sky Drop Markers, you need something with the Sky Drop Nexus (X) MAR, and to get Artillery Markers you need something with Artillery Support (X) MAR. In both of these cases, X is the number of markers that model brings. So if you had two Sky Drop Nexus (2) models, and an Artillery Support (1) model, you would get 4 Sky Drop markers, and 1 Artillery Marker.

1b. No, Artillery can only be called in on Artillery Markers. If you have no models with Artillery Support (X) in your army, you have no artillery. :)

2. Compiling and Firing Solutions

If you have 3 weapons, 2 of them with Pinpoint and 1 with Corrosive, your options are as follows:

A - Fire them individually at the same target. The Target gets Shields against each separate shot, so if it had 3 Shields, it would get 3 Shield Dice against each of the three shots.
B - Combine the Pinpoint attacks for a bigger pool, and then fire the Corrosive shot separate. Using the same target from above, it would still get 3 Shields, but only two lots (one against the combined Pinpoint, and one against the Corrosive)

For weapons to combine, they must have a common Weapon MAR. In the example you used, the 3 weapons could not combine into one shot, as two have Pinpoint (so they can combine with each other) but the third has Corrosive. If the third had Corrosive AND Pinpoint, then it could combine with the first two, and it would make the attack have Corrosive AND Pinpoint.

Hopefully that helps a little. :)

@C0rruptd: Really thanks you sir, these clarifications help me a lot, for me Artillery and Sky Drop was a bit dark but now is all pretty clear. :D

If you allows me ask you a little confirmation, at point 2.A - When you roll weapons separately, go all hits to a single damage pool?

I mean, 10 hits from terror weapon then roll shields and we assigned damage into DR grid, after that 10 hits again from another pinpoint weapon and we do shield rolls and assignation again and finally we get other 10 hits from a corrosive weapon with the same process, at this point vs an i.e. DR 8+8+7  if we have 8 damage from terror,  8 from pinpoint but 2 from corrosive, Will we get 2 damage into vehicle and a pinpoint roll, losing corrosive marker?. But if we get 8 from terror, 4 from pinpoint and 4 from corrosive, will we get 2 damage into vehicle  and a corrosive marker and a pinpoint roll?

Thank you for your attention and help. :D :D

No, each dice pool is completely separate. So to use your example of an 8+8+7 Vehicle, and three weapons, one with Terror, one with Pinpoint and one with Corrosive.

So you roll your dice for the Terror weapon, and get 9 Successes. This removes a DR Level as it is only 8 for the first one.
Then you roll your Pinpoint attack and get 5 Successes. As the next Level of DR is 8, this does nothing, and so is ignored.
After that, you roll the Corrosive and get 6 Successes. As the DR Level is still 8, 6 is not enough, so no damage is applied. The 5 from before are not added, as it was a separate attack.

Once you have done all the damage, you then apply the Effects of the weapons, in this case only Terror as it was the only one to do damage. Pinpoint and Corrosive do not activate as you have not rolled high enough to do any damage with those attacks.

Also of note, if the vehicle had 3 Shields as well, it would get to roll 3 Shield dice against EACH separate attack too. 

Hopefully that clears it up... :P

Hi again :D

I have some more Little questions

1) When you shot into a damaged squadron, you have to allocate damage following priority chain (proximity first) or you have first to fill the damaged one before to start to allocate damage in other "clean" model??? Situation changes a lot with pinpoint shanenigans.

2) When you have a nexus designator attached into a squadron and choose do a designation action, is does it at the same time as the rest of the squadron or is prior in time as target locking? In example can you sky drop a voltari crystal and fire with rest of your squadron over it? or you need another squadron to do that?

3) If you have troops for deploy at Sky Drop, and you want they appear far away from drop site point, you can choose not "zeroed" that drop marker or you are obligued to roll dices and reduce dispersión roll?

4) Titan Solar weapons (El-Sami Leviathan) is Pinpoint 3 or 4? In infantry helix update (26 november) appears 4 and in aquan's general sheet appears at 3, what is correct?

EDIT: I forget one

5) If you use cyberwar attack over an activated marker and get a 6 result putting over them another activated marker, this effects goes out with the new turn or you cant actívate them untill you pass a repair test? 

1. Priority chain.

2. The crystal dropping is it's own activation. Nexus Designators merely lower the deviation dice.

3. Whatever the dispersion die is on at the time is what you must roll.

4. Pinpoint (4) 

5. ALL activation markers automatically come off at the end of the turn.

Guys excuse me but I need do another noob question.

When we handle with Leviathans, (they have 2 CBQ values) if we do a movement finishing it B2B with 1 model and in 4" range of few models, can we use both CBQ values, first one for b2b model and 2nd one for 4" models?

Thanks for your support .D

Thanks, but I thinking im not explaining myself well, I will put you some examples for a better understanding.

1 = Relthoza light infantry base.
2 = Sedna Heavy Tank
3 = El Sami Aquan Leviathan
-> = 4" Distance
- = B2B Distance

Then Example 1:

1 ->

1 ->

1 -     2

1 -

1->

Example1

5 Relthoza light infantry base move close to a Sedna Heavy Tank, 2 of them gets B2B and rest of squadron remains at 4", Then Relthoza player rolls their CBQ, and Aquan player do the same, Relthoza gets, 5 hits so nothing happens, Aquand get 9 hits so 2 B2B relts die and one of 4" too.

Example 2:

1 ->

1 ->

1 ->

1 ->

1 -         3

1 ->

1 ->

1 ->

Example2

In this example 8 Relthoza infantry bases move and 1 of them reach B2B with and El Sami Aquan Leviathan, remaining 7 still at 4", so Relthoza can roll 8 x his CBQ Value, and Aquan will roll 6 AD dices, Relthoza gets, 23 hits, and Aquan score 8 hits, Relthoza only suffer 1 lose because Aquan only can allocate damage in 1 base and excess go to floating pool, and Relthoza do 3 damages to Leviathan.

So get Leviathan CBQ weapons is a disavantage in that way, so im asking if Leviathan player can use in this example both of his CBQ values, close combat for B2B and normal CBQ values for remaining 4" Bases.

Thanks Brimat I hoped as I'm not native was in a different way, but RAW you are totally right, but is very weird 1st example, vehicles can defend themselves against CBQ squadron B2B and 4" and a Leviathan can be "cheated" easily in that way like 2nd picture.

No Child 9, Brimat is right. The Leviathan can choose if in base to base. 

The main reason for the difference is; when you take into account multiple units of Leviathan CQB capable models, where some of the unit models are in base contact and others are not: Only those in contact may engage in Leviathan CQB. The remaining models are able to execute a second CQB Action in the normal way against the same target squadron but they may not target any enemy models engaged in Leviathan CQB, as they are too close to their squadron mates.

So then Leviathan can use both CBQ values, 2nd one for B2B model or models and 1st one against all remaining at 4" of him, isn't right?

No they just use their distance (4") CQB against the whole unit as normal.

No they just use their distance (4") CQB against the whole unit as normal.

So, if Leviathan turns his role into attacker, can he choose between use his Leviathan CBQ or normal CBQ? And target squadron attack/defend themselves as normal or being B2B have any connotation more?

Thank you sir :D

No Child 9, Brimat is right. The Leviathan can choose if in base to base. 

The main reason for the difference is; when you take into account multiple units of Leviathan CQB capable models, where some of the unit models are in base contact and others are not: Only those in contact may engage in Leviathan CQB. The remaining models are able to execute a second CQB Action in the normal way against the same target squadron but they may not target any enemy models engaged in Leviathan CQB, as they are too close to their squadron mates.

Maybe you misread my post, or maybe I don't really understand what you mean  :unsure:

I just don't see where this is written in the rules... What I can read is:

"This additional statistic, known as Leviathan CQB, applies when Leviathans are in Base Contact with an enemy" (p36 digital version)

"The second number denotes the amount of Attack Dice their CQB attack will inflict on a single enemy in Base Contact – their Leviathan CQB Stat." (p96)

"The important thing to remember is that whilst a Leviathan Model is in Base Contact with the enemy, it may only ever direct its Leviathan CQB against a single Model with which they are in Base Contact" (p96)

I don't see any choice here. RAW, the leviathan seems obligated to uses its leviathan CQB value... But Derek clarified this so there is no problem :) The rule is just badly written and don't clearly offers the choice between the two CQB values.

I was thinking 1 minute about all of this, and if Leviathan can choose what CBQ value uses, Leviathans which their B2B combat value (2nd number) was lower than first one never will choose use it, so is like have not any 2nd value if is lower than 1st. Isn't right? At this point I think only have logical sense if them can use both values at same time, 1 for B2B and the other 1 as always, but that is not written in rulebook and neither in clarifications but....

Might come from the rule : "All leviathans have TWO CQB stats"

Nobody said, that the leviathan cqb has to be superior.  :D

With the assault helices comming soon, perhaps there are more special leviathan cqb weapons with MARs (like the RSN archangel), making it worth to take the second value.

Might come from the rule : "All leviathans have TWO CQB stats"

Nobody said, that the leviathan cqb has to be superior.  :D

With the assault helices comming soon, perhaps there are more special leviathan cqb weapons with MARs (like the RSN archangel), making it worth to take the second value.

Yey but come with me to take a look to all Leviathan CQB values:

· Relthoza;

- Varisei Kei 10/10

- Vaxiss 12/4

· Sorylian:

- Nor Bar Ro 8/8

· Dindrenzi:

- Hyperion 8/6

·  Terran:

- Odin 12/5

· Directorate:

- Wraith 10/0

· Aquan:

- El-Shami 12/6

So, if you can choose between 1st or 2nd value, there are no only 1 case where you want to choose 2nd one value. This make me think 2 possible ways:

1st -> If you are B2B with any model you MUST use 2nd value for CQB, making Leviathan most easy to destroy unit in CQB in the game (easy to cheat, without a real response capabilty)

2nd -> You can use BOTH values if is possible, 2nd one only for B2B models, and 1st one as always, having an "extra punch" B2B in some situations roling Leviathan are lethal metal monstruosities, so in Wraith's  case you only have his normal CBQ meaning is a skyfortress without combat capabilty, and in Verisei-Kei you can have a 20AD pool vs B2B models .

I'm actually hoping there will be a further clarification that if a model is being attacked by something using it's Leviathan CQB, it has to use it's own Leviathan CQB stat to defend. Would give a reason (and weakness) for things like Firepower Leviathans to have the two stats. Otherwise, as Malagamer points out, the non-Leviathan CQB stat will always get picked as it's better in every circumstance...  <_< 

Till then, it's possible for the Leviathans to always use their non-Leviathan CQB, even against say an Archangel that is wailing on it using it's own Leviathan CQB stat... :P