Specky

5 points resolution too coarse?

Hi all,

Just wanted to start a discussion on how everything in Planetfall is only ever costed to the nearest 5 points.

I think because unit sizes are larger in PF compared to FSA, the points resolution compounds things being under/over costed and hinders game balance.

As an example, Terran Huscarl infantry can upgrade to nuclear munitions for 5 points each, widely accepted on the Terran forum as a steal. However, if they cost an additional 10points per model instead, no one would buy the upgrade.

So somewhere between 5 and 10 points perhaps is more appropriate?

As I often have 5-10 points left over it doesn't feel any different to having 3 or 7 points. I'm not worried about playing down by 10 points in a 3k game.

Although it's easier to mental arithmetic to values of 5 points, I use a calculator or battle scribe so not really saving any time.

Ultimately I think the 5 point resolution is a limitation on the game and would like to see it refined.

I disagree. The 5 - 0 limitation makes army list building sooo much simpler.

It also means that you have to make big sacrifices to upgrade units. For example: 5 points per model to skydrop letos... fine but that's 25points for a whole squad and i only have 20... better downgrade to a squad of 3 and buy a logistic point instead.

Following an opponants 1 point here and 1 point there is tedious and unnecessary.

Europe has phased out the 1 and 2 cent for the same reason. Everything costs 5 or 0. 

Considering Terrans pay 5 pts for nukes and letos get skydrop for the same price is insane though. It should probably be a flat cost for units like 10/15pts for nukes in a valk squad of 3/5 models.

They do have to pay a Leviathan tax to be fair.

A flat rate could work but it's only expensive on Valkyries. It's best use is on Huscarls, then Heimdals, then Valkyries (Low AD doesn't help)

I disagree with the currency argument. That stems from inflation and small denomination coins costing more to make than they are worth. That's not really the problem we have.

If 5 points is the smallest basis point, then just divide everything by 5 and start that as "1."

If 5 points is the smallest basis point, then just divide everything by 5 and start that as "1."

I doesn't really work...  Something costing for example 135 points would cost 27 points instead. Not a real problem, you'll say, but 135 "looks" better and is easier to remember/calculate with.

Actually Invasion worked with point costs that low... 6-1/2 doz to me.

But leaving the divide by 5 thought aside... as a playtester I can ask: DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG TESTING IS GOING TO TAKE IF WE CAN DO 1-2 PT MODEL MODIFICATIONS! Do you WANT to see more models released? Seriously, if we can argue over 1pt increase/reductions the release cycle of Planetfall will be twice a year not almost monthly.

I think it's only important when dealing with infantry and maybe light tanks /recon.

5 points out of a 240 or 125 point tank isn't a big deal. But at the infantry level, suddenly you find yourself adjusting the stats to meet the points cost rather than changing the points to meet the stats. Adjusting points should be easier.

Living rule book also makes it easier to move around. Won't be perfect the first time around, but after a few tweaks back and forward it'll be close enough.

5 points out of a 240 or 125 point tank isn't a big deal. But at the infantry level, suddenly you find yourself adjusting the stats to meet the points cost rather than changing the points to meet the stats. Adjusting points should be easier.

I disagree. an additional 15 points for 3 basses to suddenly have MO weapons isn't game breaking and definitely worth it in my opinion.

The game isn't balanced unit on unit but helix to helix. Costs are spread out to other elements to "Tax" slightly stronger units. To take the dindrenzi recon helix for example: you must have a circe in the core helix...

As Max pointed out: it may have been possible to have 1-2 point increments on initial release. But it is far too much work and more effort than it is worth to change. Every model and unit will have to be re-tested and balanced.

At the end of the day if you have 5 points or 2 points left over at the end of a list you would still be in the same situation: points left over with no option to fill without going over the allocated allowance.

Considering that MFV's are set at like 4000pts, I think a resolution of 5 points is fine. You could divide everything by 5, but that wouldn't change anything other than make it harder to mentally add up... :P