Sign in to follow this  
Lerriano

1250 - LoIS vs OE

First disclosure!

I've never really looked at the Italian states. As a result, I was unaware of their Isolated systems universal rule. My opponent, playing Italians, is very new to the game. As a result we missed this rule clean out. Didn't make too much difference.

Second disclosure!

I forgot to take turn-three end-phase photos :(

FORCES

Ottomans

180 - 1x Sadrazam

180 - 1x Sadrazam

225 - 3x Fettah + WMG

225 - 3x Fettah + WMG

160 - 4x Arci

160 - 4x Arci

120 - 4x Mizrak

5x Dive Bombers

5x Fighters

Italians

240 - 1x Affontadore (+6x Uccisore)

200 - 1x Mars

200 - 1x Mars

120 - 1x Minerva

120 - 1x Minerva

120 - 4x Cinqueda

120 - 4x Cinqueda

125 - 5x Scutum

5x Fighters

5x Fighters

5x Dive Bombers

Deployment

The Turks deployed to try and make best use of the islands and channels, knowing that whilst close-quarter guns is kinda their thing, it's also where the italians absolutely shine.

OE Setup

The Italians Formed a pair of strikes to match the Turkish advance

LOIS Setup

Turn 1

The weather instantly takes a turn for the worse, with localised fog and hundred-metre tornadoes obscuring the line of vision for the italian vessels. As if to make matters worse, the commodore had given one of his orders to a pretty, if fezzy, lady on the poop-deck, who had promptly jumped over the side in her suddenly suspicious islamic garb and swum out to sea. Drat, the italian commander thought, last time I trust that girl with one of my important documents!

The two forces exchanged long-range shots, a few crew were turned into rubber chickens by calcification generators, but all was relatively uneventful.

OE - 0pts (0pts)

IS - 20pts (20pts)

NB - Ironclad card rules, because ironclad card rules rule.

Ottoman advance:

OE T1

Italian advance:

LOIS T1

NB - those infantry tokens are tiny tokens, not infantry.

Turn 2

The business turn, an almighty hurricane whips up over the water in front of the ottoman fleet. As the italians manoeuvred into position, taken aback by the sudden huge storms appearing afore them. Out of the storms sped the first wave of destroyers, straight into close-quarters with a battleship, but as their volley-guns blasting hard into the fleet, the shields stopped everything. In response, well the destroyers had made the crucial mistake of overreaching to make their shot, and were instantly laid into by the surrounding ships.

Not fearing the failure of their comrades, the right flank cruisers stoked up their engines with extra fuel and attempted to make the same attack.... with the same result. Almost no damage dealt whatsoever and, with their clouds useless in RB1, they were punished accordingly.

(NB - forgot that they had sharpshooters, because I am an idiot. Didn't forget next time the Cruisers tried something interesting, keep reading to find out!)

Down the Ottoman left flank, the destroyers also surged forwards, managing to score a huge strike on the Affondatore despite the commodore's efforts to overcharge the shields. The overwhelming firepower resulted in heavy damage being dealt to the guns (twice!), a catastrophic result for the commodore. Their efforts to collectively board the minerva, however, were thwarted utterly, with no ottoman marines making it back to their ships.

Depsite these setbacks on the right flank, the italians ploughed on. The left flank was coming together nicely, with the turkish cruisers and destoyers completely thrown to the four winds in crossfire!

(NB - man those buggers shoot, it's like danes but more)

OE - 75 (75)

IS - 505 (525)

Ottoman Turn, Left Flank

OE T2

Ottoman Turn, Right Flank

OE T2b

Italian Turn, Left Flank

LOIS T2a

Italian Turn, Right Flank

LOIS T2b

Turn 3

Despite their efforts to repair the affontadore being scuppered by a suspiciously fez'd man with a spanner, the Italians gained the crucial upper hand, and down the left flank roared the battleship. It laid all its firepower into the Sadrazam, causing two critical hits and a miriad of problems to guns, engines, and generally everything. It also tried its hand at boarding a mizrak, but paid a heavy price for success, leaving it on 3AP...

Over on the left flank, the cruisers that had hidden behind the mountain came soaring around the hilltop, blasting the minerva to hell with all their might, and coming ONE savvy italian marine away from capturing the affontadore. (*shakes fist at dice*) The resulting sabotage left the guns crippled yet further and the vessel largely muted for the rest of the battle.

Storms started to rain down to try and protect the ailing battleship, and the italians were dealt another heavy blow when the very first critical hit delivered to their Mars in the centre of the field was a sturginium flare, throwing the unsuspecting ship straight into a mountain!

The battle raged on and, with engines at half power and the vessel all but destroyed, the Sadrazam on the Ottoman right flank made its minimum move into 4" range of the italian battleship. Despite the calcification and punishing firepower, she still had all over her crew. The Mars had 3ap. Elites vs elites! It was a once in a game opportunity to seize the ship! Or rather to watch the italian AA shoot down all but one of the plucky turkish boarding party and slice the other's head clean off on arrival.

The italian frigates sped in for the kill, prizing the emptied, shredded battleship and drawing the turn, and the battle, to a close.

OE - 395 (490)

IS - 510 (1035 and thus 70%, his victory condition)

Notes and Observations

The turks, on paper, take another solid pounding.

But in practice, this battle hung on a few knife edges really. My battle condition was to destroy 50% and all massives/larges. Given that the larges in this list constituted 640pts between them, this was not an impossible goal. And with the help of a flukey sturginium flare I got agonisingly close to achieving it on those two occasions.

Offense

I didn't really cause much damage to the Mars battleships, and only managed to heavily damage the affontadore by throwing my biggest possible dice pool at it. The Turks have weapons that universally get stronger as they get closer, making them theoretically close-quarter brawlers. But they just don't have enough AD to really muster a killer blow to larges. Once again the turrets proved their uselessnes by being non-redoubtable. Volley-guns were, yet again, the darling weapon. Especially on the Destroyers, who are absolute powerhouses.

Defense

Even though we totally forgot about isolated systems, the italian shields were more than enough to prevent my big hitter units in turn 2. I got my destroyers and cruisers (ottoman right flank) into near-perfect position to unload an unholy barrage of dice. Fistfuls of dice. But the italian defences were sufficient to prevent major damage of any kind.  <_<  meanwhile, having thrown the cruisers into RB1, they were then totally shafted by their entire lack of defensive capabilities at that range, and all died within the turn. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Storm gens alone are not enough. If, as their orbat suggests, the Turks are a close-quarter fighting list, they need to have some sort of defence that it is permanently on because their firepower alone is insufficient to constitute a glass cannon.

Commodore powers

I really like Meltemi's Fury. It's great, allows that glorious frustration of enemy firepower, and fits superbly into the Orbat. But that other one about the mines, totally wasted. We have no reasonable incentive to play the Zuhaf, and wasting half our doctrines (the only one that isn't one use only) on some rubbish range extension is not worth having. Why not have something that improves our measly turrets like "+4AD to a main turrets attack" or "D3+2 Corrosion markers on a crit"? The italian reusable power was sublimely useful by comparison.

Overall notes

I'll be the first to admit that there is a LOT of 'what ifs' and 'so nearlys' in this battle, but the final result on paper is that I lost by 600pts. And that's not balance.

The destroyers are absolutely incredible. Don't do anything to them. Maybe add 5pts, but don't change their stats. They're fine.

From your report, looks like a lot of the dice rolls at crucial points actual favoured your opponent. Aside from that Sturginium Flare, of course. But lots of attacks seemed to bounce off his shields completely, and his AA seemed to eat through your AP in an unusually effective manner.

And I've losted games with my Prussians by far wider margins than 600 points... Sometimes the dice gods simply aren't with you... ;)

From your report, looks like a lot of the dice rolls at crucial points actual favoured your opponent. Aside from that Sturginium Flare, of course. But lots of attacks seemed to bounce off his shields completely, and his AA seemed to eat through your AP in an unusually effective manner.

And I've losted games with my Prussians by far wider margins than 600 points... Sometimes the dice gods simply aren't with you... ;)

Absolutely, which is really frustrating when I'm trying to get sensible battle report feedback for lord James of updateston... too many excuses about the luck.

Which is why mathstopian is a more reliable way of critiquing a list!

James has recommended if you are seeing what are obviously outliers when rolling dice to do a 'testers roll', where you roll the dice a two or three times to get an average. Pure maths is a always terrible way to critique a list though, as it can never account for said outliers or other strange interactions of rules... ;)

Re- probability mathematics being terrible, they give you averages. And the vast majority of rolls will be within those averages. The point always remains that the turks lack 'dice in hand' moments.

Re interaction with rules, complicated probability still breaks down to probability.

Next battle for the turks is tonight, using different tactics and different list. Defence is a strong offence, right?

Turns out it isn't, report to follow

Full marks for persevering though! As an aside, are there any fleets out there that you think you would be able to comfortably compete with or are they the cast adrift? I've only seen them in one tournament and it didn't go well for them, but then again, it was a tournament environment.

Full marks for persevering though! As an aside, are there any fleets out there that you think you would be able to comfortably compete with or are they the cast adrift? I've only seen them in one tournament and it didn't go well for them, but then again, it was a tournament environment.

The poles, and their consistent inability to cause damage to targets, might be a more even match, possibly free aussies because they also lack large dice pools.

But most of the other fleets are able to put together considerably and consistently larger pools of dice, and this game is all about dice in hand.