Overread

Planetfall Terrain compendium

Terrain; not just buildings, but trees, hills, mats etc... I thought it would be good to build a collective resource list for terrain which can be used in Planetfall which fits the games scale and provides a good playing experience. Even better if we can group terrain types/styles together into working "kits" that people can pick and choose from to build really great playing tables.

I didn't put this in Hobby as I feel that would be more talking about making our own; this is purely for those who want to buy pre-made or modular terrain for gaming with (and maybe just also encouraging Spartan to look at in-house or official 3rd party collaborations for terrain).

I joined a FB group called 15mm Gaming Terrain, some good stuff pops up there

There is a chap just playing with his new laser cutter and mdf making hexagonal buildings. I suggested towers and corridors and hes knocking some up! They are fairly spartan but cheap so I can buy lots and dress them up. Im planning a sort of moon base type table. So buildings, hills, craters, landing pads, power generators and comms arrays.

Other companies that do potentially interesting stuff are Warsenal, Sarrisa Precision and Systems Gaming. Stuff like comms arrays and stuffscale fairly well to PF.

Ground zero games also have a good selection of 15mm terrain. I have some cargo pods and the like somewhere... they have a whole range of bits that would make a good shanty town/rough settlers village

I would love to see more and varied PF tables! Lots of interesting terrain and therefore scenarios. I think PF at the moment can devolve into sparse tables where armies just line up and shoot each other, i want that flow and manouvering aspect, not just everything dead by turn 2

Ill remember some more companies at some point too, more for gubbins and decorations than whole battle fields but at 15mm trash and odds and ends come into their own for terrain!

There has been some previous discussion regarding this:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/14825-terrain-for-10mm-games/?hl=terrain

I'm a big fan of http://Blotz-co-uk, they do some very nice terrain for fairly cheap (I've got several of their buildings, I've reviewed one here ).

On the list of suppliers I'm going to try out is

Warmage.de - some nice sci-fi buidlings, and they also sell Burn In Designs 6mm stuff, a few of which can be re-purposed to 10mm.

Gamecraft Minis - Good source of ruins, and recently added roads as well

Underground Lasers - has ha lot of acrylic stuff, but also MDF terrain specifically for 10mm. I've really liked using their TV/BL trackers for FSA and FSP, so hopefully the terrain is equally good.

20150626_143936_zps0npks6iv.jpg

Just an example of what Spartan Games have designed through the years as prototypes but never released them - Apparently the big MDF buildings they just couldn't get in a package cheap enough. Which is a shame as I think they'd sell pretty well to be honest. The printed card is really nice and saves a ton of time painting. Granted it's less custom.

At this point, I care less about custom, and more about getting decent looking buildings on the gaming table without spending a lot of time prepping them... As you say, a shame if packaging problems prevents them from releasing those beauties into the wild (but we're still going to see the smaller buildings, right...? Right? )

The printed card in the original terrain sets are a real time saver. Granted it makes the acrylics seem a bit flat in comparison, but I've found out that some plasticard glued on and/or a few washes over primer goes along way towards making it look less plain.

I'm reminded of the snap-fit terrain that Mantic Games has for their range of models. Terrain that is snap-fit or card or flatpack designed has a major bonus in that its easy to transport. Whilst we might stare at some models and think about how the heck we are to transport them to games (GW is famous for this and PP has a few in their colossal/gargantuan) terrain is often just if not more a problem.

That's why these roll out mats and flat-pack approaches are so popular. They are affordable, quick to put together and pack away small which is great if your gaming club/site/friends house hasn't got on site storage.

Great to see some examples of Spartans Terrain but a shame that its proven uneconomical to produce and ship.

The scenery pack is actually quite effective if you ignore it's mild unwieldiness to transport. I have 2 sets plus the freebies from the core and the 10mm Dindrenzi dropship in a box. once I figured out hHOW to pack them it got easy but it's a large box of mostly air making it annoying to transport as it's a good 1.5+ ft3 with little weight that jossels everywhere in the car and takes up space. (Hint, put something with a little weight in the bottom.) However add trees and hills and I can outfit two or three 4'x6' reliably. Mix in the DZC building set and I can often bump that to four to seven tables. The DCZ buildings BTW are good but even more an arse to pack and durable as poster board... as that's what they are.

20150626_143936_zps0npks6iv.jpg

Just an example of what Spartan Games have designed through the years as prototypes but never released them - Apparently the big MDF buildings they just couldn't get in a package cheap enough. Which is a shame as I think they'd sell pretty well to be honest. The printed card is really nice and saves a ton of time painting. Granted it's less custom.

Dan, tell Spartan to release them anyway. I come from a background of throwing my money at GW. I'll decide if its too expensive for me to buy, and trust me, its unlikely that the price would ever put me off (Or many other gamers) get it done in a way that is as cheap as they can get it whilst still making it worth their while and us gamers will buy it, that i absolutely promise.