Sarkazm

Starting Out. Now what?

So, I've been watching and reading up for the past week. Went to a few different places, and picked up some stuff, and hopefully got a deal.

Sorylian Patrol Fleet

* Had so much dust, he gave me 20%

6 Scythe Frigates

5 Plumbata Corvettes

* Old Blisters @ 25% off. I got these because I saw in several places that a good purchase was the Frigate/Corvette group. Don't know if there is a difference between the Frigates, but thought why not. There are still another 1 of each on shelf and don't even know if I should pick them up?

So that's where I'm starting out. No idea what I'm doing, or even how to build a fleet. So any recommendations there would be helpful. I played back when the game came out, with the paper templates, and have read the current rules, but that's where it ends.

Thanks in advance.

Play a small handful of games at 600-800 points and get the feel for each of the units.  Try reserving each one and see how the battle behaves as a result.  It helped me a lot to really only focus on one new thing per game. 

For example:

1. Double up on frigates, one on the table, one reserved

2. Swap a frigate squad for vettes

3. Reserve your cruisers

4. Reserve your battleship

5. Play a game where you try to hide behind terrain and not get damaged till turn 3 at least

If the dice get crazy hot or cold, repeat the experiment, because you probably missed the meat of the lesson.

Do all of these against a similar enemy force if possible.  There are a lot of subtleties that are easy to miss if there's a big new weird thing on the other side of the table.  Getting an eye for movement is hugely important for Sorylians (and the game in general, common wisdom is that the game is won and lost on movement more than any other element) and really only comes with practice.

For new units to add, I'm a big fan of the gunships and our carrier.  A box of cruisers is a good idea (I still haven't played a game with a heavy cruiser group yet).  Our battlecruisers do a lot of oddball stuff compared to the rest of the fleet and open plenty of possibilities.  If your opponent isn't a jerk and will let you, proxy models for a couple games to try them out and see how they suit your style.

Above all, have fun, keep at it and share your experiences.  And remember, painted models do better.

That's a pretty sweet setup. I'm a huge fan of the corvettes for Scout, one of the Sorylians' secret weapons. I think one corvette squad and 2 frigate squads is plenty.

If you are looking for what to buy next, I would go for Warwolves gunships box, cruiser box, dreadnought box, probably in that order.

Thanks for the replies. I have the rulebook and fleet guides.

2 things I'm stuck on:

1) Some of the entries list 2 ships. Like the Scythe/Reaper. Is there a difference? Or is it just old/new models?

2) I feel like I missing something on list building. I've been reading other lists here but right now they don't make sense. I'm sure they will later, but I don't know what to write down to show my opponent.

I've seen the Scout thing mentioned, and putting one frigate in reserve, etc. No idea how that translates. So I think if you guys could help with a list I might understand it better.

the different ship names are the old Mk1 models vs the new Mk2 models there is no difference between ship classes. 

As for advice on list building? You will need to give me some more specifics, but to answer your queries so far:

1) Scout - our corvettes are one of the few models with access to this rule. it lets you redeploy a squadron after deployment has finished as long as you have more scouts than your opponent. useful to sucker the enemy into a position they dont want to be in

2) reserving frigates. our frigates are nasty when upgraded with pack hunter but are short ranged and rely on numbers to generate their attack dice. so rather then starting on the table, where they are bound to be targetted, it is a common tactic to reserve them and shunt them into the enemy lines, where their brilliant multi arc guns will reap the enemy. 

Went down to the FLGS to assemble the ships, and talked with a guy who didn't play anymore, but was helpful. He helped me make a list with the models I had and things fell into place a bit better, like Scout. He said that I get to redeploy ANY unit, not just the unit with the rule. Is that right?

Either way, were thinking of starting at 600 pt games to start out, since that seems like a good point for Patrol Starters.

Falx - +2 MV, +1 Shield

3x Falcata - +1 Shield

5x Reaper - +Pack Hunters (Reserve)

3x Plumbata

My first game will either be against Dindrenzi or Directorate. Both are at least a week away, so I might get some paint down.

That was my initial thought to be honest. I can do it if I drop all the shields and 1 Plumbata. I went with this list, since I'm really coming into this blind. Taking Gas' advice, I can play around with the different rules, which is really all I'm hoping to do at this point. That, and I built one of the Cruisers as a Kopis.

I have gone ahead and planned an 800 with everything I got.

Falx - +1 Shield

3x Falcata / 1 Kopis

5x Reapers - Pack Hunter

5x Scythes - Pack Hunter

5x Plumbata

Not like I have many options, but I can do it. I don't know if we'll be playing bigger games for a while so it doesn't bother me as much. I'm thinking about getting Hastas next, since I'm seeing that they can substitute a Falx to free up points. I could easily go Warwolves or Carriers but I have no concept of why I'd be getting them. I'm leaning toward the Cruiser box for all Kopis right now though.

Did you get one of the old starter boxes where you're short one cruiser? Scrounge up another one from somewhere if you can. Sorylian cruisers work best in a full group of 4.

And I say go for that other corvette blister at the store.

I got the Falx,5 Reapers, and 4 Cruisers (1Kopis option). So I'm not short, I just only have the 3 Falcatas. Not sure if that's the old one or not. I assembled all the models and found that I was one metal cap short on the old Frigates, so I'm stuck with 2 units of 5, which is fine for me. Was only going to use the extra ones as an add for the Hasta. I like having 1 unit of each since it'll be easier to tell the units apart.

With the 3 T3 units, you still think I should get the 2 Blister of Corvettes?

That was my initial thought to be honest. I can do it if I drop all the shields and 1 Plumbata. I went with this list, since I'm really coming into this blind. Taking Gas' advice, I can play around with the different rules, which is really all I'm hoping to do at this point. That, and I built one of the Cruisers as a Kopis.

I have gone ahead and planned an 800 with everything I got.

Falx - +1 Shield

3x Falcata / 1 Kopis

5x Reapers - Pack Hunter

5x Scythes - Pack Hunter

5x Plumbata

Not like I have many options, but I can do it. I don't know if we'll be playing bigger games for a while so it doesn't bother me as much. I'm thinking about getting Hastas next, since I'm seeing that they can substitute a Falx to free up points. I could easily go Warwolves or Carriers but I have no concept of why I'd be getting them. I'm leaning toward the Cruiser box for all Kopis right now though.

I'd play with that list.

In the future when you have the points to spare. If you mix cruiser squadrons I recommend you give the Falcata Shields when they form up with a Kopis. It helps the squad take on a "tough" role. When using pure Falcatas usually increasing Mv is the better option.

How about this then:
Falx - +2 MV +1 Shield

3x Falcata +1 Shield / 1 Kopis
5x Reapers - Pack Hunter
5x Scythes - Pack Hunter
3x Plumbata

So the Plumbata are just fillers at this point.  If I get Scout great, if not, no big loss.  Reserve both units of Frigates, and Shunt in?

How about this then:

Falx - +2 MV +1 Shield

3x Falcata +1 Shield / 1 Kopis

5x Reapers - Pack Hunter

5x Scythes - Pack Hunter

3x Plumbata

So the Plumbata are just fillers at this point. If I get Scout great, if not, no big loss. Reserve both units of Frigates, and Shunt in?

I'd play with that. I'd probably FSE the corvettes on Turn 1.

If you're just starting out, it's a common urge to play with everything you have.  Have fun with that, but it easily gets frustrating as the game drags on and on because you or your opponent is unfamiliar with the rules.  Smaller games are usually a good idea till you've got the core mechanics well understood. 

Personally, I'd drop the shields the Cruisers in favor of buffing up the Falx:

• Falx - +2 MV +1 Shield, Weapon Shielding, Split Fire Boardsides
  • 3x Falcata + 1 Kopis
  • 5x Reapers - Pack Hunter
  • 5x Scythes - Pack Hunter
  • 3x Plumbata

The reason for this is I find one shield on the cruisers of questionable value, while Weapon Shielding means the Falx keeps on kicking butt to the end and Split Fire on Scatter Boardsides will allow it to shred enemy Tier 3 squadrons by targeting 2 or 3 ships at once.

i never used to put shields on the cruisers, but i tried it for a few games and just that little chance of reducing a critical to a single hit to keep the squadron together for longer is totally worth it. The reason they are so expensive at 40 points for a 4 ship squadron is because they completely help

Lots of great advice.

What I want is to get exposure to the rules, which is a huge reason why I am running them the way I am.  There are things that make sense to me, like Weapon Shielding.  This is REALLY attractive to me right now, because I used to play Confrontation Mid-Nor Dwarves, and they had a similar mechanic.  The reason I went with the shields, is just so that I can become familiar with the rules, since it's something that I can expect to see in games, not for any real tactical advantage.  Winning isn't a priority right now, just learning how to play, and what specifically I want my Sorylians to do is more important, at least to me.

I do have some questions though as I'm reading the rules, apologies if this belongs in the rules forum:

1 - Pack Hunters - The max bonus is +2 if I read it right.  So if all of the Reapers combined their firepower, it's full for the main ship, 1/2 for each other ship, then +1 for each ship with a max of +2?  Do I understand that correctly?  So is it also legal to have 3 ships participate in one shot for the +2, and the other 2 to combine their shots for +1?  Or am I only allowed to use the rule for one shooting attack for each unit?  NOTE: I'm AWARE that I won't be getting as many dice because I won't be contributing the shots, just trying to get my head around Pack Hunters.

2 - Experienced Engineers - Does this also apply to Hazard Markers?  I've read it a few times, and I can see it going either way, and just want to be sure is all.

3 - Weapon Shielding / Damage - Assuming that we check for Hull/Crew to apply the penalty before using weapon shielding.  Weapon Shielding only mentions Hull Points.  So if there is more Crew lost than Hull Points, I suffer the full penalty for Crew when I have shielding?   

That's all I've thought of right now.  Got all of them cleaned, assembled, and washed.  Hope to get the Primed up soon and start painting.