Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Official Thread: The East India Merchant Company

Merc factions get other mercs as core, which is a nice little rule :)

Torp lists will suffer from those than max out on flyers ^_^

Only if they take a battle group (ie one capital and one not), but still makes for excellent aerial lists with elysium and merlins. Mwahahahahaha

Thought mercenaries could only take other mercenaries as allies?

For the torps vs gunnery, I'm fine with torps being slightly cheaper - while they remain strong through the game, they're not as flexible with what they can hit. Only taking one set of guns cost me a game when I couldn't shoot down some incoming gunnery blimps quickly enough.

The Raj and the EIMC make up a nice combination - heavy guns on the Raj ships, torps on the EIMC. Only thing that force suffers from is the lack of carriers - unless you have multiple Jhasa's (as the Illustrious is a bit...rubbish)

I used Raj carrier and corvettes (so good) as they offer immense support to Boarding, ranged and SAS support.

Unfortunately the Jhasa was hamstrung by "Nav lock" for two turns and half AD making it pretty much useless.

The Raj are far better with the Brits. I will however strive to do better with the EIMC and may even gt a masterclass going like i did for the Britannia Navy.

6AA and 10AA from the 15pt fighter squadron you get with the Forbes.

My point is....you cant rely on non redoubtable Ack Ack as an EFFECTIVE method of dealing with airships, i find even 5 fighters struggle against the big stuff

My point is....you cant rely on non redoubtable Ack Ack as an EFFECTIVE method of dealing with airships, i find even 5 fighters struggle against the big stuff

So lets rely on non redoubtable turrets that cost an arm and a leg? Which means we have fewer models on the table, therefore fewer activations. If the fleet is facing no flyers you are combat ineffective after only a few hits, in fact that is the case even if you are facing flyers, but the torps are just deadly to the last HP.

Finally played my EIMC with Royal Aussie allies:

The Good:

• Torpedo Griffons with Tesla Gen - MVPs of the match
  • Turret Athea with Shields - good long range firepower and decent survivability

The Decent:

• Turret Forbes with Guardian - provides a safe place for the commodore to hide and can project a larger Doctrine area due to its base size. Didn't really kill anything due to horrid dice rolling on my part. 
  • Syera Frigate squadrons - these got shot up early in the game, but they did their job in slowing down incoming boarders.

Overall a very fun game, and now to explore more ally options. I see that people are recommending the Raj, so I'll probably try them with the EIMC in my next game.

7 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I think you've missed something. Doctrines and Command radius are measured from the centre of the model

Huh. Is there a page quote for this, Naz? Cause unless specifically mentioned, I am following the Measuring to Models rule on Pg 10 DigiAdmiral, i.e. if the model has a base then it is measured to the base.  

Another upcoming game vs the Italians at 1250 points. I will be fielding some KoB allies:

• Turret Athea with Tesla Gen
  • 3 x Torpedo Griffons with Tesla Gen
  • Syera x 4
  • Syera x 4
  • Turret Forbes with Fighter SAS upgrade, Guardian Gen and Combat Coordinator: Terror Tactics <--- Commodore will be here
  • Majesty Dread with Nullification Gen 
  • 5 x Valiants

What do you think? No carriers but with 17 SAS, all fighters should be able to cover for the first two turns. The shield-less EIMC ships would lurk around the Dread to benefit from its 12" Guardian (2). I took the Nullifcation Gen to protect against marauding Minervas and to ensure the Guardian bubble doesnt go down. The Forbes has a secondary, albeit smaller bubble just in case. Valiants are there to (try and) hunt down the Uccisores, and if they happen to be in the Forbes' Terror bubble then its a bonus.  

Turret Athea really needs a shield gen or to drop the guns for torps. It's dice drop with damage is horrendous so it need either a little protection or to have a tertiary weapon system. 

I appreciate the Maj will give it some help but that is a lot of miniatures clumped up together and to be honest, the Athea is happy at RB3 sniping so makes a decent commodore ship.

Forbes on the other hand can get stuck in! it is such a tempting target but so difficult to kill. 

Syera are in the opinion of this caddish gentleman; the best frigate in the game. Tough, great guns and decent boarding.

Scrapped out a narrow victory! My opponent fielded:

• 1 x Affodatore (Commodore)
  • 1 x Mars
  • 3 x Gladius
  • 3 x Scutum
  • 1 x Fortuna Heavy Bomber
  • 1 x Brigante Squadron ( Gladius + 3 Cinqueda)
  • Pilum Squadron - one Mk 1 and one Mk 2

I drew kill 70% and my opponent had kill Commodore. It was an intense game that lasted till turn 6 with plenty of cussing, crazy dice rolls and drew quite a crowd. What was left floating...

EIMC

• Athea with 1HP left, you are right @likeAsir, its dice degradation is horrendous.
  • 2 x Griffons, each suffering 1 HP loss
  • Majesty, in pristine condition

LoIS

• Mars, without a scratch
  • 1 x Gladius with 0 AP and 1HP loss

The 12" shield bubble of the Majesty saved my ships more times than I can count - definitely worth it.

The Syera squadrons were on my right flank, the Majesty and Forbes center, while the Athea and Griffons were on my left. The Valiants were center-left. 

The EIMC frigate squadrons were lost early in the game, but managed to divert the Brigante Squadron, the Mars and the Pilums off to deal with them before they perish, which I take as a good trade as it leaves the Athea, Forbes and Griffon to pound on the remaining Italian ships. The Majesty plodded behind, contributing its Guardian shields. The Forbes surged down the center, and as it passed along the advancing Pilums, it managed to triple crit and instant KO one of them! That Sustained Fire (3) at RB2 and Sturginium rounds are awesome. 

However tiny Italian angry fishermen boats are a pain to deal with, I had to board them with my subs and even resorting to bullying my way through with the Majesty's bulk before the last of them sank. Annoying pests.

In the center of the field a massive dogfight was taking place, and the Fortuna Bomber made its appearance, it was then promptly brought down by the Athea and Majesty's guns resulting in a magazine explosion, which tore a hole in the nearby fishermen squadron and Scutums. A note: throughout this game, the Uccisores never failed a Disorder test, be it seeing fellow boats crushed by the bulk of battleships and dreadnoughts, or engulfed in the maelstrom of an exploding plane, or boarded by murderous marines...heck even the death of their Commodore failed to faze them. Either they are all drunk or benefits from the Fishermen's Union are beyond this world. 

Anyway, by this time my left flank is mostly secured and the enemy is too far away to be of credible threat so I can move the EIMC capital ships out from the umbrella of the Majesty's Guardian. The Griffons with long range torps scored hits on the isolated Italian carrier as the Mars raced back to protect the Italian commodore. The Forbes selected Piercing rounds and added to the Affodatore's misery. However it was the attention of the Mars, and suffered greatly.

In the final turn, the Forbes went down from concentrated gunnery from the Mars, it was due to its death the Majesty became disordered despite having a nice broadside facing the Affodatore (which is sitting on its final HP), albeit at RB4. Ah what the heck, I will resolve 5 turret fire individually. It was the final salvo, with sweaty palms and hope beyond hope, that at 4AD, the Majesty managed to hit DR6 and got pass all his 3 shields with Inventive Scientists to score the killing blow!

Observations:

• Primary weapons on EIMC ships degrade badly, I really miss my Redoubtable Turrets.
  • On the other hand, the pain they dish out at RB 3 and 4 are tops, I think they out America the Americans in this aspect.
  • Tesla Gens + Sharp Turn are the best.
  • They really need a source of protection or at least something to draw the enemies attention. I find the Majesty's 12" Guardian (2) to be necessary, Guardian (1) just doesn't cut it. 
  • Syeras are really cool. That CR6 is just great and the guns are great! 

Anyone tried out the Reinforced Cruiser squadron yet? A Griffon with 2 Syeras with short range effective gunnery practically screams for advance deployment, where they can rush down the flank and shoot up some stuff in RB2.

Yup tried that - but you need two of those squadrons working together otherwise they get blasted to bits - plus don't put torps on them if they are in advanced deployment as it will encourage aerial units to use you as target practice.

Although equipping them with torps can encourage your opponent to send his air force after that squadron and thus lure him into a trap...