Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Official Thread: The East India Merchant Company

(Edit from Spartan Games)

With so many sub-forums and threads, we're trying to give the Spartan Games Community a bit of a tidy-up. Let's try and keep to the official threads and see how we go.

So who are the East India Merchant Company?

One of the oldest and wealthiest trading companies, the East India Merchant Company has a knack for weathering a storm and coming out the other side with a little more than they had. With offices in every major city in the world, the East India Merchant Company also maintains an extensive standing military in order to protect its assets and interests...

Could we have a stickied EIMC thread pretty please.... ahem.

Here is my first attempt at making a 850 points list, purely EIMC models from the starter box - how does it look?

Its a primarily gunnery heavy list, and the 12 free SAS will be Dive Bombers (3 squadrons of 4 wings) that lurk near the ships to pounce on enemy vessels that stray close.

Athena with Heavy Turrets, Guardian Gen

Griffons with Heavy Turrets, Shield Gen x 3

Syera Frigates x 4

Syera Frigates x 4

Forbes with Fighter SAS Support and Heavy Turrets 

I often go with torps on the forbes.

3 turrets with sustained 3 will mess up subs.

You can then not bother with the shield gen and take the terror tactics upgrade

Also the re roll makes it lethal against smalls

Honestly I would never run torps on the Forbes.  One of the sole advantages to fliers is that you can't hide from them.  Being armed with torpedoes negates this advantage as terrain and even small ships block their fire.  Worse, you still have the disadvantage of being unable to hide from return fire.

Hi Capt. Bruce. I've had a look and I think you do need some gunnery for fliers. The easiest way of doing this appears to be dropping two of the frigates (as they come in 4's anyway) and upgrading the Forbes and one unit of griffons. Still comes in at 995

trouble with that is they either are unshielded so the turrets quickly become useless so give them guardian gennies but then they are so slow, anti air is the frigates job just like in real life. The turrets on a Forbes are just cruiser ones I don't think they are worth the points not in a 1000pt game anyway. I used to run the vessels as mixed before they took that option from us maybe it's because I started as a KOB player I find putting unshielded ships on the board with turrets uncomfortable.

I used EIMC forces with a KOB mix, in particular torpedo equipped Forbes, against the COA. Those torpedo equipped units are cheaper than guns and will mess up wave lurkers

Am I missing something as a CoA player? As far as I can see, torpedoes and wavelurking dont interact in any way as the ship counts as on the surface, so not effect from the sub killer rule? And the wave lurker -1 to hit doesn't seem to be cancelled either. Do my ships have some vulnerability to torps? That I am missing?

Yes, part of the wavelurker rule states that sub killer weapons ignore the -1 to hit penalty.

Coupled with coa low cc, a torp heavy eimc mighr do quite well against them, but I would not recommend a full torp loadout in an all comers list.

*edit - ninjad in seconds!*

How are people finding the EIMC on the table?

Had a great little game today and found the Torpedo armed vessels were really powerful due to their durability. The gunnery options however seemed a little overpriced considering how quickly they degrade.

*Sobs in the corner*

Where is my EIMC heavy bomber Pres? Where? 

I actually think the EIMC have some great throwdowns against ariel. The Forbes is something used EVERY game as it is an amazing piece of kit (and the blimpiest of blimps). It offers great AA, fighter support and sustained fire for getting those 5's in.

My question was about Taxation really, not sky shenanigans. Gunnery turrets just seem a bit expensive to me. Torpedo turrets are amazing on all ships at longer ranges and benefit from not losing firepower with damage. Turrets although able to target anything drop like rock stars in 2016 as the damage comes in. 

Agree 100%.

It almost feels like the gunnery turret upgrade should come with redoubtable at a higher cost. But then the cruisers especially might be just too darn good in that case? I think that forth cruiser , you would have to reduce turret to 7/6/3/- or some such.

The more obvious would be to just +1 ad range band one and two heavy turrets, but that also should add cost to the upgrade.

Tricky issue.

In relaxed rules based games I take the Esmerelda bomber as a heavy bomber.

Failing that, I mix the EIMC with the Indian Raj and put out some Merlins

Thought mercenaries could only take other mercenaries as allies?

For the torps vs gunnery, I'm fine with torps being slightly cheaper - while they remain strong through the game, they're not as flexible with what they can hit. Only taking one set of guns cost me a game when I couldn't shoot down some incoming gunnery blimps quickly enough.