Zahariel

To include Tac Cards in core helix?

Hi Guys, I just want to share some of my thoughts. I understand that tac cards are included in the starter set (Aqua vs Directorate), along with a variety of goodies. 

However I feel like they should be included in the core helix as well. I came from Dystopian Wars background, and perhaps Im used to getting everything i needed to start playing the game (we get SAS tokens, the complete unit upgrades, and so on). 

Dont get me wrong, I love what spartan games have given us (Resin bases with textures!? How awesome is that!!) However I think items such as templates, markers and what not should come included in the Core Helix. 

Anyway, thats my 2 cents. What do you guys think? 

The issue there is in many of Spartan's older games the TAC card equivalent was faction specific. Planetfall over half the cards are usable by multiple races, compounded by the fact that if they were in the core... you'd end up with atleast two decks as each core helix box is half the maximum.

The issue there is in many of Spartan's older games the TAC card equivalent was faction specific. Planetfall over half the cards are usable by multiple races, compounded by the fact that if they were in the core... you'd end up with atleast two decks as each core helix box is half the maximum.

Hi max, I"m not too sure about this, but if I'm not mistaken, the factions at dystopian wars uses the same tactics cards, and there aren't any faction specific ones yet (discounting the operation shadow hunter tax card)?

Dystopian TAC cards are generic. The rulebook mentioned that nation / faction / commodore specific TAC cards would come but that remains to be seen.

TAC cards in Core Helixes would be a good move, as it would enable new players like myself to experience the TAC-tical aspect of it without having to dip into buying factions which do not interest me in the core set.

Keep in mind, the TAC deck is only 26 cards. 12 race specific, 4 Faction specific, and 10 generic. So even if you only play one race there are only 12 cards you don't "need". And that drops to 8 if you play two races, one Kurak and one Zenian. If EVERY Core came with a deck you would have 38 useless cards if you play a single race. It jumps to 86 if you played two races from different factions. This doesn't factor in that Corehunter is correct, many players never use them or only use the same 1-2 cards over and over. I've played 4 TACs in my last 6 games, 3 were in the same game.

Also, bear in mind that when I looked at Dystopian... Spartan still had models in the yellow resin.

P.S. The TAC cards may be available in a bundle you'll want anyway in the future.

I generally consider the tac card system unbalanced at the moment (relthoza I'm looking at you) and since certain armies have better cards than others, I argue not to use tac cards at all until they can be re-balanced.

Thanks for the information Max. So most people don't use TAC cards, interesting. Thus far we have been playing things by the book -  so the non-inclusion of TACs is not considered at all. I'd argue that the inclusion of other races TACs might spur some interest in starting new armies, at least for me. :) 

I have used TACs several times. However they I usually only use them to help defeat armies that are 'skewed' a particular way or toward a particular model. The TACs are basically insurance rather than part of the main plan.

General TACs power levels are all over the place. Some are meh others are must takes depending on you opponent. While the race specific ones are even more eratic in power levels and points cost of some are down right stupid. Even more problematic is the fact we get so many per game which further eliminates any strategic value pf the cards

Well... The cost is supposed to be the balancing mechanic, but I agree, a the power level is a little bit of roller coaster...

I tend to use at least two per game, the PP3 card is usually one of them; it can provide a Lamana squadron some much needed predictability regarding damage output.

We tend to use TAC cards in our local games, although I pick them but might not use them because the oppourtunity never presents. 

The plus side is they can be great, and there are some TAC cards that need rebalancing (the Zenian CQB one is just crazy).

Hi guys, from what I could tell from the comments, TAC cards seem to play quite an important aspect in the game ; though it needs a bit of balancing.

Which beings us back to the topic, why couldn't SG include it as part of the core helix? I would like to draw comparison to Dystopian War where the naval/land/air starter set will include a set of TAC cards to the box. The amount and quality of the resin models is arguably just as good as planetfall but the box seems to have a bit more value than its planetfall equivalent ( has turning template, obj markers in resin, trays for tokens and so on).

I think an even better solution than including them in Core Helix boxes would be to sell them as a two-set deck (which would be 52 cards) separately. Yes, you can order a single deck from the Spartan store. If you're outside the UK, shipping is stupid. Yes, you can get them in the Commander's Pack, but the rulebook in there is kinda moot, since it's out of date in comparison to the digital (and free) version. For Armada, you can even download the TACs and print them, but they're not available for Planetfall.

Dropping the extra cash on the Battle for Proteus Prime isn't worth it if you're not interested in both factions or splitting it with a buddy. Having the really limited ways to get the TACs, which are a "required" part of the game, is not the best move, IMO.

Also it allows you to buy whatever helix you want and the commander pack with rules, templates, and tac to specifically get what you want. So if you only want one core and other helices you can do that without doubles.