Balteth

When do you reveal the contents of your army/helixes?

Sooo ... Another question related to sky dropped units. When do you reveal to your opponent the composition of your helixes/armies that contain sky dropped units?

I only ask because my group seems divided on the matter. I've had a few games with Dindrenzi now and I reveal the contents of each helix during deployment - including those units that are deployed via sky drop. My Relthozan opponent doesn't believe he should do this - with the number of sky dropped units in his army not revealed until they actually hit the table, which makes his sky drops all the more powerful as you don't know whether he has none or bucket loads.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what everyone else did and/or if the rule book dealt with the situation.

Looks like Zebo actually answered my question in my other sky drop thread - page 46 of the rule book 'Deploying Forces - point 1'. I'm reading that as yes, you do have to reveal the contents of your entire helix, then you take off the sky dropped units and deploy the rest as per point 2. Does that sound right to y'all?

Yup, there is no sneaky 'hiding' of Sky Drop units or reserves. What you bring is open knowledge to your opponent. Swapping army lists before the game starts is the easiest way of achieving this, but I also tend to say '...and all these Nyx in Drop Pods are also in that Helix I just deployed, but will be Sky Dropping'. Just to be crystal clear. :P

In a tourney setting, my usual greeting to my opponent usually goes along the lines of, "Hi there! My name is Draco. Have an army list." Following by me thrusting said document under their nose. Never had any complaints about that.

In a friendly settimg, when we get our forces out of their storage boxes, we put them in no-man's land and spend a couple of minutes id'ing all the components (usually along the lines of "Core Helix containing such and such.") Either sky drop units are noted as still being in the box at that stage, or when we start moving units into deployment, we'll note that "putting this unit back in the box as its gonna sky drop."

Generally speaking in Wargames unless the rules specifically state that you are to hide an army composition detail from your opponent or have the option to hide it, then you don't. Armies are revealed at the formal start of the game for both sides. 

From memory about the only thing hidden that I recall in a game was which units were in which transport during 40K under some versions of the rules. You still had to declare what units you had to deploy, just not which transport they were specifically in - although formally you did have to have it written down so you couldn't change it on the fly (this resulted in people doing things like writing a slip of paper and putting it under the model or having a separate army list with the transport contents written down onto it).

In general most games work by letting players view the opponents army list, formally you can then check the numbers balance up. It also avoids cheating when players could change drop-in units or would add more units than their points limit would allow.